Rod Streater's signing shouldn't affect the Chiefs' offseason plan

If the DL, OL is no longer a desperate need in the draft, the Chiefs may want to look at WR.

If they look at WR, I hope they take a long look at Josh Doctson. He is a high character guy, who has size, speed, and athleticism. He also can make the tough catch. The only three issues with Doctson are break away speed, the system he played in, and his lack of strength. First, Doctson has enough speed, what he needs to improve is technique. 4.5 is fast enough. Doctson is a hard worker, and very focused. This should not be a problem. Second, the system Doctson played was not a NFL set, but as said Doctson is a hard worker, dedicated, and smart. I think he will catch on quickly. Third, strength, or the lack thereof. Doctson performed 14 reps at the combine, despite sporting 32 inch long arms. His apparent weakness may have been due to his wrist injury, which he played through at the end of the season.

Doctson was thought to be a 2nd round selection by many early mocks. Some still have him there. Smart people have him mid to late first round. There is speculation he will go to the Vikings ahead of the Chiefs. If not, I hope the Chiefs don't pass.

If the DL, OL is no longer a desperate need in the draft, the Chiefs may want to look at WR.

If they look at WR, I hope they take a long look at Josh Doctson. He is a high character guy, who has size, speed, and athleticism. He also can make the tough catch. The only three issues with Doctson are break away speed, the system he played in, and his lack of strength. First, Doctson has enough speed, what he needs to improve is technique. 4.5 is fast enough. Doctson is a hard worker, and very focused. This should not be a problem. Second, the system Doctson played was not a NFL set, but as said Doctson is a hard worker, dedicated, and smart. I think he will catch on quickly. Third, strength, or the lack thereof. Doctson performed 14 reps at the combine, despite sporting 32 inch long arms. His apparent weakness may have been due to his wrist injury, which he played through at the end of the season.

Doctson was thought to be a 2nd round selection by many early mocks. Some still have him there. Smart people have him mid to late first round. There is speculation he will go to the Vikings ahead of the Chiefs. If not, I hope the Chiefs don't pass.

OL is a desperate need.....I would argue it is not better than this time last year...at least as expectations were....Grubbs would be great...Allen would be great....Stephenson was healthy...on and on and on. 

I think KC could draft all oline and still be very competitive on Defense etc. The KC window is now! 

Conley has never been a go to guy. He has potential. We saw some improvement. The problem with Conley is his speed is straight line is his forte, and quick shifting maneuvers are not. Look at the 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone, and 60 yard shuttle. This is where Conley was slow, and you can see this is where Doctson exceeds average. 40 yard times are important, but not nearly as other things. 

What made Cooks a hot in the draft was his suddenness, and ability to get open. He registered recent best of 3.81. DJ Foster, Braxton Miller, and Josh Doctson virtually tied for quickest 20 yard shuttle (4.07 - 4.08). Conley ran a relatively slower 4.30. 

Doctson tends to round off his breaks. So, there is room to improve. He will get better. 6.84 three cone, 4.08 twenty yard shuttle, and 11.06 sixty yard shuttle would indicate he has the ability to be quite a bit more sudden. His route running can be honed, and he should do much better once he gets that down. 

Counter all of this to Conley, who has 4.35  40 speed, but was somewhat slow (7.06 three cone, 4.30 twenty yard shuttle, and 11.65 sixty yard shuttle) would indicate his potential is limited. 

Conley is good running slants down the field. Doctson can do it all, but is much better running routes that require him to break. Maclin is a 4.5 40 guy (similar to Doctson), and he cuts, catches etc.. similarly to Doctson too. 

Another guy worth considering may be Braxton Miller, who has similar, if not better quickness marks, but does not have the pass catching or route running ability of Doctson. 

I read somewhere that Streater's 2016 Cap hit was around $850K.  The rest is incentives...

w

I read something very close to that. 810k with up to 1 million in performance incentives.

Archived