Why the Chiefs Faded Under Pioli

Chiefs now have as many Carl Peterson picks as Scott Pioli picks

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The recent departures of offensive linemen Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson, second- and third-round draft choices in 2012, leave the Kansas City Chiefs with just four picks remaining from Scott Pioli’s four years as their general manager.

That’s the same number of picks remaining from Carl Peterson’s time running the Chiefs. Peterson left after the 2008 season and was replaced by Pioli, who left after the 2012 season.

The Chiefs still have linebacker Derrick Johnson and punter Dustin Colquitt from their 2005 draft, linebacker Tamba Hali from 2006 and running back Jamaal Charles from 2008. They were all picks made by Peterson -- Johnson and Hali in the first round, and Colquitt and Charles in the third.

The Pioli picks that remain with the Chiefs are safety Eric Berry (in the first round in 2010), linebacker Justin Houston and defensive lineman Allen Bailey (in the third round in 2011) and nose tackle Dontari Poe (in the first round in 2012).

That a general manager now seven drafts removed from the Chiefs has as many players remaining as one three drafts removed is quite a statement about Pioli, who was brought to Kansas City in large part for his supposed ability to spot talent.

Eleven of Pioli’s draft picks are on another NFL roster, as opposed to four Peterson picks. That’s natural given the time lapse. But with the exceptions of Allen with the Houston Texans, Stephenson with the Denver Broncos and center Rodney Hudson with the Oakland Raiders, Pioli’s picks are either backups or roster hopefuls.

The Chiefs have no players remaining from one of Pioli’s four drafts, in 2009. They also have no players remaining from one of Peterson’s last four drafts, in 2007. But in 2007 the Chiefs at least drafted Dwayne Bowe, their all-time leading pass-catcher among wide receivers. In 2009 their most productive drafted players were defensive end Tyson Jackson and kicker Ryan Succop. Jackson was still a huge disappointment given that he was the third overall pick.

It’s common for roster turnover to occur when a team changes its head coach and/or general manager. But Johnson and Colquitt are now playing for their fifth coach and third GM, proving that players who are good enough can survive from one administration to the next.

So the Chiefs are still paying for the failures of the Pioli years. They’re better off for having Berry, Houston, Bailey and Poe, but they could and should have even more remaining players from that era.

I was a Peterson supporter...because he was favorable to the Coalition and treated Boss, Arrowhead and I well at Training Camp.

That said, we needed a new GM....turns out Pioli was not the right guy.

w

True. I think Peterson did a great job through out the 90s. He kind trailed off at the end and it was definitely time to go. But he put a ton of good players on the roster in his run. I got a lot of respect for Marty and Carl even though it was frustrating not being able to get over the hump.

In truth....how much do you think Marty and Carl were on the same page? I always wondered. Yes I was a Peterson man also.

we will probably never know unless one of them writes a book about their career. Funny how things change over the course of 10 short years, before everything was handled behind closed doors but now with Twitter, FB and all the other apps out there people cannot keep anything quiet

That's a really long and incorrect way of saying the Pioli era failed because he made his HC go bat shit crazy and refused to admit Matt Cassel was a fail.

If they had gone after Hasselbeck, like Haley wanted to when the lockout ended, the Chiefs would of been a playoff team in 2011 and 2012 never would of been a thing.

first we where spoiled.. had one of the best lines in the nfl for several years.. then we got a hc.. that thought what the hell lineman can be had off the street ( we are still paying for this)....   roaf shields wiegemann waters.. every one should end up in the hall..

but who where there replacements? my 200 lb ass might of done better ...   though i am significantly faster than most of those guys.

highschool trashed my knee.. on one play... acl, mcl, pcl .. all gone... 

only one guy out of the middle of ks, made it big that year..

though it was proven... if you hit him when he got the ball he could go nowhere..

berry..  still love you bro..

yards against teams i played for -80 and yes i am talking about mr. sanders.

in those days no school would take a chance on you with those injuries..

anyway.. my cousins still stand tall  perhaps not for long.. looking at jason garrett from the cowboys.

anyway.. back to mr. guys from the street can play better... and one of the highest paid lines in recent memory for most teams.

our best free agent.. roaf..  in modern times.. hell most of us could of gotten yardage behind that line..

roaf shields casey waters and tait..

does it get better..?

Haley was the one that said the 2 wins with 22 guys off the street line. He won 4 with a lot of dudea off the street.

Herm gets flack for the offense falling apart, but it was going to happen regardless. Roaf could barely move around during the offseason, toward the end, and I think Vermeil knew the good run was about up and decided to cut bait then and there.

Archived