Why?

Guest 303Chiefs

Read the article before you post. The dude hasn't played a snap of football in his life. He doesn't even sound like he knows how the game is played, and that's if he even knows what a football is. This is nothing like the draft as those players have experience, nice try.

Please show me one athlete in the US, even better one in college who doesn't have a clue about football or how it's played. It's more likely that people in chat rooms have less of a knowledge on the sport than he does.

Is it fair to say theses guys might not even make camp? I was at camp one year and we scrimmaged the Vikings in Mankato. That had a guy named Brock Lesnar on the field. He didn't make the cut, but was a physical freak. WEre they crazy for bringing him in? No, it was a no lose situation. He did blast and IR one of our TEs, but that was still a good look see with no investment.

It paid off for Dana White. Just saying, shake the trees. If nothing falls out, no big deal. Hell, Kurt Warner was a grocery bagger. Trent Green was cut from a CFL team. You just never know.

The European league was a good place to try out untrained talent. It no longer exists. too bad. 

This is not going to hurt the Chiefs. It might work out well. There are plenty of examples where an outstanding athlete turns into a good player. DL isn't (mentally) a difficult position to play. Even Mongo played DT in the NFL. Why not?

mongo.png

My opinion is that we shouldn't be wasting time with players that haven't played football before in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

So who should the Chiefs be "wasting time" with? They already have eleven more players than they can keep come September, and they haven't even drafted yet.

Pretty much every player the Chiefs get at this point will be signed to a minimum contract, and will look like a reach. Kudos to the Chiefs for taking a shot in the dark. The 49ers signed British discus thrower Lawrence Okoye back in 2013, and in the year 2016, Okoye is still managing to hold down on a spot on league practice squads.

The European league was a good place to try out untrained talent. It no longer exists. too bad. 

This is not going to hurt the Chiefs. It might work out well. There are plenty of examples where an outstanding athlete turns into a good player. DL isn't (mentally) a difficult position to play. Even Mongo played DT in the NFL. Why not?

mongo.png

I once heard someone say that the only smarts you need to play DL in the NFL is the ability to tear apart a refrigerator with your teeth. Offensive linemen need that same ability, but have to know how to put it back together as well.

I once heard someone say that the only smarts you need to play DL in the NFL is the ability to tear apart a refrigerator with your teeth. Offensive linemen need that same ability, but have to know how to put it back together as well.

Yep. Actually, certain positions in football actually work better if you are not smart. Corners happen to get downgraded if they score too high on the Wonderlic test. This is why players, who seem smart pull a 9 on the Wonderlic. They purposefully flunk a test so the scouts will not mark them down. Perhaps they do it too well. 

The point is, if you know too much or think too much, you are not as likely to be as brutal, or take on the risks without forethought. 

Yep. Actually, certain positions in football actually work better if you are not smart. Corners happen to get downgraded if they score too high on the Wonderlic test. This is why players, who seem smart pull a 9 on the Wonderlic. They purposefully flunk a test so the scouts will not mark them down. Perhaps they do it too well. 

The point is, if you know too much or think too much, you are not as likely to be as brutal, or take on the risks without forethought. 

In my industry, we call it paralysis by analysis.

Read the article before you post. The dude hasn't played a snap of football in his life. He doesn't even sound like he knows how the game is played, and that's if he even knows what a football is. This is nothing like the draft as those players have experience, nice try.

Neither did Christian Okoye till he got to that football power Azusa Pacific. I don't think Antonio Gates played college ball. Pretty sure there are a few more that didn't play college ball.

Everybody else on here is right. It's the freaking middle of March. Saying you're overreacting is an understatement. This is the time of year for turning over rocks They obviously see something in him or they wouldn't have bothered. If he doesn't cut it he's out and KC is out practically nothing. There is no down side here.

In my industry, we call it paralysis by analysis.

Neither did Christian Okoye till he got to that football power Azusa Pacific. I don't think Antonio Gates played college ball. Pretty sure there are a few more that didn't play college ball.

Everybody else on here is right. It's the freaking middle of March. Saying you're overreacting is an understatement. This is the time of year for turning over rocks They obviously see something in him or they wouldn't have bothered. If he doesn't cut it he's out and KC is out practically nothing. There is no down side here.

Yep.  Plus, the guys that make it that way have less wear and tear by definition, and  they haven't learned any bad habits to boot.

By the way, isn't saying saying "overreacting is an understatment" similar to  saying"underreacting is an overstatement." ?

Yep.  Plus, the guys that make it that way have less wear and tear by definition, and  they haven't learned any bad habits to boot.

By the way, isn't saying saying "overreacting is an understatment" similar to  saying"underreacting is an overstatement." ?

I kind of agree with 303 here. I mean, this isn't a situation where the guy played high school ball and then played another sport in college or something like that. This is a guy that has never played football, ever. The guy didn't have a clue about football until 2014. The chances of this guy making an NFL practice squad, let alone a 53-man roster, are about as good as his football experience to date. It does seem incredibly silly to waste any resources on the guy, whether its "just a camp roster spot" or not. I really don't blame 303 for being upset about this.

That said, the guy is an absolute physical specimen. If he can get it at all, he does have a shot. He doesn't even have to be smart, I mean Aqib Talib shows that regularly. He just has to learn to get by the guys trying to block him and kill the guy with the football. I just don't know how having absolutely zero knowledge of the game is going to get him anywhere. This is a level where physical attributes only get you so far and technique and knowledge go much further. He isn't going to make the 53, I'd just about bet my house on it. Could he spend a couple years on the practice squad? Maybe, if he shows he can get any part of the game down in the first couple weeks.

I kind of agree with 303 here. I mean, this isn't a situation where the guy played high school ball and then played another sport in college or something like that. This is a guy that has never played football, ever. The guy didn't have a clue about football until 2014. The chances of this guy making an NFL practice squad, let alone a 53-man roster, are about as good as his football experience to date. It does seem incredibly silly to waste any resources on the guy, whether its "just a camp roster spot" or not. I really don't blame 303 for being upset about this.

That said, the guy is an absolute physical specimen. If he can get it at all, he does have a shot. He doesn't even have to be smart, I mean Aqib Talib shows that regularly. He just has to learn to get by the guys trying to block him and kill the guy with the football. I just don't know how having absolutely zero knowledge of the game is going to get him anywhere. This is a level where physical attributes only get you so far and technique and knowledge go much further. He isn't going to make the 53, I'd just about bet my house on it. Could he spend a couple years on the practice squad? Maybe, if he shows he can get any part of the game down in the first couple weeks.

It's not even camp yet. Anyone getting worked up over this is an idiot. While it may seem silly to waste resources, it's not like we're personally footing the bill. Doesn't hurt to kick the tires. Hell, a person could say the team is wasting resources on every player that doesn't make the 53. Doesn't make it true, just means someone dropped that person on their head as a baby.

Archived