Chiefs Moving Flemming to Safety

Guest 303Chiefs

Is okay we signed a dude with ZERO football experience or knowledge. Not just zero college experience, literally he has probably not touched a football in his life.

The guy was signed by people that have football experience and knowledge, will be coached by someone with football experience and knowledge, and if they do not show football ability to play or gain that football knowledge, they will be cut by people with football experience and knowledge. As someone without the requisite football experience and knowledge, I would trust their judgment over any of us. I'd spend my time being upset with the third round pick we lost.

Flaming (not because he is gay, but because he is always being torched, not that there is anything wrong with that, the gay part, not the torched part) has got to find a way to make the team.  I thought Parker was a terrible CB, but really like him a S.  Maybe Flaming will be the same.  I hope it doesn't mean we have given up on signing Adbullah.

Some of you guys said the same kind of things about Parker. Parker turned out alright. 

Some details. Parker was undrafted. He played football at a small college. He ran a 4.35 40 on his pro day. His 3 cone time was good, and he had somewhere around 17 or 18 reps. So, there was a lot of attention for him as an UDFA. He went to Seattle (where they had some of the best secondary coaches in the league). He was cut, and went to Oakland. He was cut from Oakland. Seattle picked him up again. He was cut again. This time he went to Carolina. He got released from Caroline. He went back to Seattle. Seattle had too many good players, and they could not protect him. Kansas City picked him up. Parker played cornerback and was horrible. He got burned about as much as Texas toast in a cheap toaster. The Chiefs moved him to safety. Fans scoffed. The Chiefs saw something in him, and signed him for a four year contract. Fans, including some in this very forum (perhaps some of which wrote in this very thread) booed the Chiefs for wasting their money on a player, who was not very good. Parker turned out to be very good. He has a bright future. 

The Chiefs did not draft Jamell Fleming. He was a mid 3rd round pick for Arizona (another team that is pretty good at scouting talent). He was seen as a player with loads of potential, but one that was very raw. He had tremendous back pedal skills. He ran a 4.5 40, but even better, he had a very fast 3 cone. His long jump was great, and he had an eye popping 23 reps at the bench press. Strong, fast, good feet, good hands, but really poor technique.... So the Cardinals picked him high, and tried to straighten out the faults. Arians moved in the following season, and he gutted the team of guys he didn't like. Fleming was one of them. The Jags signed him off waivers, and kept him for a year. Baltimore snatched him up on their practice team, and KC stole Fleming away by putting him on their cast of 53. 

Fleming was rushed into playing, when he was not ready. He is not field aware, and gets turned around with lousy technique. He was defensive MVP for the Fiesta Bowl in 2011, so he does have talent. However, his lack of technique was exposed by a higher level of play at the NFL level. The Chiefs feel he can transition to safety. Whom am I to say he cannot. 

Archived