Chiefs have officially appealed the Tampering Punishment levied by the NFL

Clark Hunt's statement in response to the NFL's tampering allegations and punishment included a strong suggestion that the Kansas City Chiefs would be appealing the charges. According to Terez Paylor of the KC Star from the NFL owners meetings in Florida, Clark Hunt has confirmed that, indeed, the team has appealed the NFL's tampering charges.

There are a few Clark quotes at that link.

Hunt's statement was pretty clear that they intended to appeal but many of you have asked in recent days whether that appeal actually went through. Now we have an on the record confirmation from Hunt that the appeal process has started.

So what's the timeline here? Considering the NFL has docked the Chiefs a third round pick in this year's draft, it sure would be nice to hear about this before the start of the April 28 draft. Considering the NFL didn't warn other teams of tampering until after free agency had started this year, we really have no idea what kind of timeline the NFL is on. They could announce a decision next week ... or next year.

The whole point here is the NFL's inconsistency. The Chiefs aren't arguing whether or not they're guilty. Absent a claim of innocence, I think we're all accepting that the Chiefs broke some rules here. What the Chiefs are appealing is the insane punishment levied on them from the league - a third round pick in 2016, sixth round pick in 2017 and fines to the organization, Andy Reid and John Dorsey. That third round pick seems especially difficult to justify given the punishments other teams have gotten for tampering.

With a few recent NFL investigations, it's becoming clear that the NFL doesn't really know what they're doing when it comes to the enforcement of their rules. Their recent behavior shows that, instead of telling a team to stop breaking the rules, they like to nail one team with their hand in the cookie jar and then impose ridiculous punishments on them as a message to other teams. This is patently unfair to the team that the league decided to punish, in this case the Chiefs.

Chicago got docked with the loss of their fifth round selection. They were the only other team to be penalized. This stuff has been going on for years, and yet only two teams have been singled out. Two teams that probably have run "cleaner" programs than the majority of the NFL. 

Goodell is a punk. He is political. He is uneven. However, this decision really did not come from Goodell. It came from Troy Vincent. Vincent, who played 8 of his best years in Philadelphia, and became an executive with the Eagles, nailed the Chiefs for taking a player from the Eagles. This is one of the toughest penalties in recent history. 

I don't know if this penalty will be walked back. It seems to me the actual cost should be a 4th or 5th round pick. The Chiefs have two 5th round selections. I hope they change it to either a 4th this year, or a 5th this year, and a 6th rounder next. That would seem to be the more consistent penalty. 

My concern is that the argument to sustain the specified penalty against the Chiefs will be not just that they tampered, but that in doing so, they obtained one of the best free agents of 2015. If the Chiefs were guilty of tampering in order to lure a random special teams player to Kansas City, they might be looking at a lighter penalty.

The best way to avoid penalties is to transact business by the rules.

My concern is that the argument to sustain the specified penalty against the Chiefs will be not just that they tampered, but that in doing so, they obtained one of the best free agents of 2015. If the Chiefs were guilty of tampering in order to lure a random special teams player to Kansas City, they might be looking at a lighter penalty.

The best way to avoid penalties is to transact business by the rules.

I seriously doubt any of the successful or even semi-successful teams out there are always on the up and up. Seattle, Denver, NE, the winners of the past 3 SBs have been hit for violations. They just say tough shit and press on.

I seriously doubt any of the successful or even semi-successful teams out there are always on the up and up. Seattle, Denver, NE, the winners of the past 3 SBs have been hit for violations. They just say tough *** and press on.

I won't accept such a cynical view.

It's not that I don't believe teams aren't cheating. They will try to get away with everything they can. To say that you have to sell out ethics as a condition of obtaining success is simply a road I refuse to walk down.

The best way to avoid tampering charges is to grow talent at home. You never get in trouble for signing your own players.

I agree but the problem is a) people freak out on high round draft picks that need to be groomed. B) once you grow your own (mind out of the pot fields) they tend to run off for greener pastures. c) if your home grown struggle then fans start beating you up and call for your head.

What if this guy http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649267/article/incredible-pro-day-puts-german-moritz-boehringer-on-nfl-radar goes one pick after the spot the Chiefs lost in the third round, and what if he turns out to be good? 

1. It would suck

2. They surely won't lose a third, will they?

3. Guys who never played football in college can't make it in the NFL, can they? 

Maybe it all works out. 

What if this guy http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649267/article/incredible-pro-day-puts-german-moritz-boehringer-on-nfl-radar goes one pick after the spot the Chiefs lost in the third round, and what if he turns out to be good? 

1. It would suck

2. They surely won't lose a third, will they?

3. Guys who never played football in college can't make it in the NFL, can they? 

Maybe it all works out. 

I, honestly, wouldn't be surprised if they took him in the 1st round. You can't coach that size and athleticism. You can coach running routes. The kid could be a stud #1 in the NFL.

Wish we would hear something. It's gotta be coming soon. The draft is two weeks from tomorrow. I think we'll get at least the third back and maybe both. I am thinking maybe they were just showing what is coming for teams in the future when they violate this rule and they will send out a memo about it. Hopefully, all we are doing is jumping through hoops.

I seriously doubt any of the successful or even semi-successful teams out there are always on the up and up. Seattle, Denver, NE, the winners of the past 3 SBs have been hit for violations. They just say tough shit and press on.

Yeah, but HE did it, TOO! 

Sounds like a child appealing a punishment to their parents.

:lol:

I wonder if a judge gives the same punishment to a thief who shoplifts vs. a thief who breaks into a bank. Severity DOES count.  It is time for everyone to grow up.  I agree with PhatalError.

I've tried to figure out where I am on the tattle tell issue with kids. Part of me wants to know if the other isn't behaving, part of me wants them only concerned with their own actions, part of me doesn't understand why "nobody likes a tattle tell" is a reason not to report someone, part of me feels like the tattle teller could be lying, part of me thinks taking tattle tells against the wrongdoer encourages the tattle teller to make excuses, and part of me wants some self-policing.

I haven't gotten to that stage yet where they will tell on the other. So far, everyone gets in trouble for what they do wrong, however I discover it, no one gets rewarded for telling, being honest is good but expected, lying gets you in more trouble, and I don't care what they think is fair, to an extent. I do try to be fair, but to some extent, I won't get into that with them. Luckily, it hasn't ever come up since my kids are so young (4 and 2) and so far angels. One day, but I hope it's later than sooner.

I've tried to figure out where I am on the tattle tell issue with kids. Part of me wants to know if the other isn't behaving, part of me wants them only concerned with their own actions, part of me doesn't understand why "nobody likes a tattle tell" is a reason not to report someone, part of me feels like the tattle teller could be lying, part of me thinks taking tattle tells against the wrongdoer encourages the tattle teller to make excuses, and part of me wants some self-policing.

I haven't gotten to that stage yet where they will tell on the other. So far, everyone gets in trouble for what they do wrong, however I discover it, no one gets rewarded for telling, being honest is good but expected, lying gets you in more trouble, and I don't care what they think is fair, to an extent. I do try to be fair, but to some extent, I won't get into that with them. Luckily, it hasn't ever come up since my kids are so young (4 and 2) and so far angels. One day, but I hope it's later than sooner.

In my post, I wasn't really referring to tattle tells.  I was talking about the tendency of kids (and adults, for that matter) to make excuses for bad behavior by saying that others do it, too.  It is about excuse-making.  Just because other teams have meddled against the rules does not make it OK for KC.  It is still breaking the rules. If you don't want to do the time, then don't do the crime. 

Anyway, I think the price was worth it.  Maclin is worth a 3rd this year and a 5th next year.  It was more like an enforced trade of draft choices for a star.  In the same way, that is why I have always believed that Alex Smith was worth his cost in draft choices. It very well may be that Dorsey/Reid/Hunt made a calculated gamble, knowing that a sanction would be no worse than a trade of draft choices to get Maclin.  A calculated risk.

In my post, I wasn't really referring to tattle tells. I was talking about the tendency of kids (and adults, for that matter) to make excuses for bad behavior by saying that others do it, too. It is about excuse-making. Just because other teams have meddled against the rules does not make it OK for KC. It is still breaking the rules. If you don't want to do the time, then don't do the crime.

Anyway, I think the price was worth it. Maclin is worth a 3rd this year and a 5th next year. It was more like an enforced trade of draft choices for a star. In the same way, that is why I have always believed that Alex Smith was worth his cost in draft choices. It very well may be that Dorsey/Reid/Hunt made a calculated gamble, knowing that a sanction would be no worse than a trade of draft choices to get Maclin. A calculated risk.

Oh I know, it was a tangent and I almost clarified that it was. D'oh!

Oh I know, it was a tangent and I almost clarified that it was. D'oh!

No, it was great.  Raising kids is a trip, isn't it?  A real journey.  You never know if you did stuff right or wrong.  It probably doesn't make any real difference if they feel the love.

Archived