Nick Jacobs @Jacobs71Alex Smith looked sharp today. The accuracy and deep ball were there. Smith looks like he picked up where he left off in Indy.

I get nervous over comments like this.  I just don't get the blind Al love.  I'm a skeptic, but I saw a guy handed several scoring opportunities and exploiting a defense not playing well.  Not a 30 year old QB having some kind of Joe Montana epiphany.

Al is a good QB.  Solid B at best.  I don't expect much better since they did nothing to improve his pathetic WR corp.  And don't give me A.J. Jenkins and Junior Hemingway as possible solutions.  They are prayers.  

Donnie Avery would be WR4 on many, many teams. There's a few he might not even make the roster.  

Why, oh why, have the Chiefs not been able to field at least a B group of WR since Carlos Carson, Stephone Paige and Henry Marshall?  That's too damned long ago.  The drought is almost as bad as the one at QB.  It's more than a coincidence that the playoff drought and these deficiencies overlap. 

Even the Vermeil juggernauts were lacking at WR.  The offense was more a product of Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez and the best OL of that decade.  

Trent Green was very similar to Al.  A solid B, but he had toys that Al simply does not.  Al has Jamaal Charles, a seemingly declining Dwayne Bowe, a crappy OL, and no Gonzo of his own.  Hopefully Travis Kelce becomes something.  But that is unknown.

Much was made of the Chiefs improvement on offense and decline on defense by the end of last year. Both were circumstantial.

The strength of this team is still on defense and the offense is in dire need of improvement.   

true there..

I keep thinking of the home against Denver...Alex placed pass after pass in the hands of his receivers and they would fall down and drop it..turn up field and drop it..etc...that was a game the chefs would have won needing nothing more than receivers that would catch the ball...that's all.

Nice read. Agreed that we have some bad WRs. I am hoping we get some 2 and 3 TE sets going with a healthy group of TEs with promise.

The basketball player is intriguing as is Kelsey. I think the beard and Fasano are pretty much solid yet unspectacular. I like the beard a lot. I can't remember him dropping a pass or getting hurt. Could be selective memory though. It is worthy of note that they pulled him off the trash heap. I wouldn't be surprised if they find a good WR that way.

As far as Bowe and Smith getting older, they are still in their prime at this point IMO. Not world beaters but pretty solid.

Nice read. Agreed that we have some bad WRs. I am hoping we get some 2 and 3 TE sets going with a healthy group of TEs with promise.

The basketball player is intriguing as is Kelsey. I think the beard and Fasano are pretty much solid yet unspectacular. I like the beard a lot. I can't remember him dropping a pa

Its all about the Defense....or Lack of It....

Lets not forget the absolute MELTDOWN on Defence in INDY.

w

Yep

that being said I dont see why all the attention on these oTA reports. The press have to feed to the readers because thats what they do but other than a way to pass your time while taking your morning constitutional it is good for nothing.

I'm not getting wound up about this season 2015 is when I'll worry about the WR's etc. Alex will either have proven his worth or lack of by then as will this and last years off season moves.

I beleive DAT will be a huge improvement to the passing game. The kid has a great pair of hands and adjust his body well for poorly thrown balls. The kid also does a nice job of utilizing his blockers. When the pick was first made I thought Dexter 2.0, but this kid blows Dex out of the water.

There is no comparisom between Dex and Thomas.. Thomas has the cutting ability of Dex, but he has the raw speed of Charles. With the field vision of Priest. 

but he is to small to be a running back, but it just so happens he does have really good hands, and is a true effort guy. I am hoping he plays well, in the role that I believe Reid has planned for him.

Which is not Dex's .. because Thomas != Dex..

The DMC vs Thomas argument must be settled on the field.

I have to say that Thomas is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

Durabilty at the NFL Level is my only question.

Thomas is a tough kid, do some research on where he grew up and how he competed....

w

w

Let's not forget the offense stopped playing after halftime.

I'm not getting wound up about this season 2015 is when I'll worry about the WR's etc. Alex will either have proven his worth or lack of by then as will this and last years off season moves.

Yeah kinda weird dismissing a whole season, but I too am looking at contracts, with other varying factors for this season, and seeing 2015 as one the chiefs could really make some noise.   It would be nice to see some sort of consistency, as in possibly making a playoff push 2 years in a row.  But,  prior history and just how things have unfolded this off season don't have me all that optimistic.

44 points....

The real problem is the defense....If the Chiefs want to win a Super Bowl, the Defense must be fixed......It is a disaster and has been fully exposed.

w

West....trying to get this point across can be infuriating. I work with a Chiefs fan and he places the playoff loss squarely on Alex Smith's shoulders. If Alex had not looked so bad on this drive or that. In other words...it doesn't matter that Alex Smith played the best statistical game of his career and had the highest QB rating of any losing QB in playoff history. It wasn't enough and he is to blame. When one side of the ball is struggling the other side needs to step up. The defense was having a hard time so it was the O's responsibility to pick up the slack. Oh he'll throw out the obligatory "yeah the defense could have played better" but then he will go off on a ten minute rant about Alex Smith. He played like an A level QB in the playoff. I blame the defense and I blame Bob Sutton. Didn't look like he was trying anything different to confuse or slow down the Colts. I knew when the Colts snapped the ball at the goal line and it was fumbled and Luck picked it up and scored that we were gonna lose the game. How many times did the Chiefs rush more than 4 guys in the 2nd half. Does anyone know?

w

The awesome qb of our defense (Lewis) is gone. That should help. Worst safety ever.

Yep, the defense blew it in Indy and it was far more than the FS position. They flat out choked in the second half and Luck had all day to throw the ball down the field.

The offense really came on in the second half of last season. The only skill guy we are missing is McCluster and I do believe there is a slot receiver on the roster that can match his production.

Alex is a really good QB and I am happy to have him. I hope we can get a deal done. He is a totally different player than Green. He can scramble and evade the rush. He makes the plays that have to be made. He has proven he can do it when it counts.

We have the best offensive weapon in the game in Charles imo. It has to be between him and McCoy. He is in the argument for the best Chiefs offensive player of all time imo. The dude could win an MVP if the stars aligned right.

Our back-ups almost beat a playoff team (that won a playoff game). The depth is awesome and drafting Ford could be the difference this season. The pass rush should never stop.

This franchise won consistently with the formula we are using today:

1. A good running game

2. Solid QB play

3. A great defense

We made the playoffs 7-8 times in a row with this formula. I don't care if we have a top five QB or a top 5 WR corps. I think we can win with what we have. I believe the attitude has changed and we are on the right track. The chemistry is right for the first time in a long time imo.

Still need the words "GREAT" and "DEFENSE" to somehow work their way into the same sentence.......

That said, Mugsey....I agree with your post and think you are right on.

Andy Reid and John Dorsey have us on the right track.

w

44 points....

The real problem is the defense....If the Chiefs want to win a Super Bowl, the Defense must be fixed......It is a disaster and has been fully exposed.

w

Nope the defense did the job in the first half creating turnovers to put the Chiefs in scoring position.  The team built a 44 point league.  And the team lost it.  

There's no such thing as enough points.  The offense did nothing to protect the lead, nor add to it when it was obvious fairly early that 44 point were not going to be enough.  The offense played half a game too and there's simply no denying it.  

But then again, all of team TFAl might have to recognize how he did nothing of value in the second half.  In fact his stupid turnover kicked off the collapse, if I recall correctly.  

If your assertion is true, that the defense is a disaster, then the Chiefs should take Todd Haley's advice and find 11 guys on the streets to play offense.  Okay 10 guys and Charles.  You get the point.

Archived