Would The Chiefs trade JC?

amaal Charles to the Colts for a second-rounder in '17

Jamaal Charles is a special player and widely beloved in Kansas City. From another angle, the Pro Bowl runner turns 30 in December

with two major knee surgeries under his belt. The Colts, meanwhile, can't afford to view Frank Gore -- soon to be 33 -- as the answer heading into next season.

With a healthy Andrew Luck returning, the Super Bowl window remains open in Indy. Charles would give the Colts a legitimate presence on the

ground at an affordable $5.75 million for 2016. Kansas City won't part with their star back for cheap, but the Chiefs thrived with Charcandrick West

and Spencer Ware carrying the load last season. After signing both to matching contract extensions on Thursday, getting value for Charles

-- a second-rounder in 2017 -- would give Kansas City true fire power heading into next year's draft. -

Marc Sessler

For us, I could see how Jamaal Charles might not push us to where we want to be, but I would prefer to not be giving other AFC teams who have talent elsewhere an answer to their weakness.

I realize the poster on the trade to Indy was just reporting what they read, but I constantly see people justify us trading to another team based upon their success. I understand team needs to have motivation to trade, but others often push too much from the other teams angle. I don't care about other teams.

I know it's not realistic to propose trades to teams that already have a star running back that are not in our conference, but giving an answer to the top teams weaknesses is not something I would want to do.

A second rounder would be great, but we have to act as if we have some window and goal. I like building for the future, but I want to do that by not helping other strong teams in our conference. Trading someone who could help someone else but could not help us and costs too much makes sense, even in the conference, but I think Charles still has some value to us and would be thing to push them over the hump.

No thanks.

The Chiefs, despite the MSM low expectations....are very close to being a Super Bowl Contender in the AFC.

New England is a team that they should not help at all.  Indy is another team that they should not help at all.

If a NFC team shows up with a 2nd rd pick, it is worthy of consideration.

Ware & West have allowed the Offense to "gel".  I think they are the best path forward right now but Jamal Charles a a weapon that should only be dealt if the scenario is VERY GOOD,

w

For us, I could see how Jamaal Charles might not push us to where we want to be, but I would prefer to not be giving other AFC teams who has talent elsewhere an answer to their weakness.

I realize the poster on the trade to Indy was just reporting what they read, but I constantly see people justify us trading to another team based upon their success. I understand team needs to have motivation to trade, but others often push too much from the other teams angle. I don't care about other teams.

I know it's not realistic to propose trades to teams that already have a star running back that are not in our conference, but giving an answer to the top teams weaknesses is not something I would want to do.

A second rounder would be great, but we have to act as if we have some window and goal. I like building for the future, but I want to do that by not helping other strong teams in our conference. Trading someone who could help someone else but could not help us and costs too much makes sense, even in the conference, but I think Charles still has some value to us and would be thing to push them over the hump.

No thanks.

Yep, i simply posted this as a conversation starter, and viola! i really did not support a trade to help the rich get richer....

Two months ago, I would have said that the Chiefs would be foolish to turn down a second-round pick for a top-end runningback coming off of an ACL injury.

After the end of the free agency period, the Chiefs have starter level talent at almost every position, and have solid depth in almost every position group. Having strengthened every position group to at least minimum tolerances (something they haven't managed between 2013-2015), the Chiefs are poised for a Super Bowl run, and Jamaal Charles could potentially be a big part of that.

If Jamaal Charles can pass his physical, he needs to be here. If he can't, he wouldn't be worth a second-round pick anyway.

If it were the Colts 2nd round pick this season, then yes.

I love Jamaal, but he's on the cusp of falling off hard in my opinion. I don't mind getting rid of talents just before they fall off yet they still have value.

You look at 48, that's a great spot to snag leftovers from round 1. Borderline round 1 talents always fall in that range and a 4th round pick can usually get you up 6-8 spots if there's a guy you really want. Josh Garnett from Stanford or Artie Burns from Miami could be sitting there. That's a spot where maybe Kentrell Brothers is sitting too. There will probably be a choice of defensive lineman.

I think you can bring in a speedier back in the 4th round to replace Jamaal and have the team be better for it overall. A guy like Jhurell Pressley might be sitting there as a value pick.

Are all you guys really sold on the West and Ware running back by committee idea?  Yes they were effective but how many times have we seen the same kind of thing...running back by committee....fall apart in the second season.    Jamal Charles is a proven commodity.   I don't think there is anyway we can trade him.

Wilkie,

Where have we seen it fall apart in the 2nd season?  I missed this.

I do think Jamal Charles ( HOF for Sure) is so good that the Offense becomes stagnant just waiting for Jamal to "break one off".

My best case:  Jamal plays a limited role that increases as the season rolls along and he is both well integrated and Fresh for the playoffs,

w

Teams end up on there third RB relatively often. Charles has an affordable salary. He is a home run hitter as good as any in the league. Nobody will give a secord.

Since a third or forth is the most anyone will give, I don't even think about it. Charles stays and starts. West and Ware continue to develop and give him some rest.

When guys start having "non-contact" injuries, that is a sign of the body breaking down. (Mainly due to age/wear and tear). I'd definitely do a trade for JC and a second THIS YEAR. I don't know about a second next year though. Hell the colts could easily be good again this year...

Are all you guys really sold on the West and Ware running back by committee idea?  Yes they were effective but how many times have we seen the same kind of thing...running back by committee....fall apart in the second season.    Jamal Charles is a proven commodity.   I don't think there is anyway we can trade him.

I'm not soldnon West and Ware so much. I'm more sold on the idea that you buy low with RB's and if a team offers you a good deal for an old RB, you would be insane to not take it.

RB's hardly are drafted high anymore, is a mostly plug and play position and the importance of having THE guy is diminished anymore with 3-4 back stables.

The Chiefs offense is finally evolving beyond the Martyball era and good riddance.

If it's a third for a non-AFC team or a second for an AFC team, take it unless it's to the Colts, Patriots, or Broncos. If it's to the Colts/Pats/Broncos, take the third from the non-AFC team. I say that because our team should be playoff bound and I don't want to help the rich. A first rounder, maybe, but we're talking late round for Denver, probably a future for the Colts, which would likely be late, and the Pats don't have a first this year and will likely be late next year and worth a second this year (almost a third).

Archived