2016 Mugsy Mock 1.0

This mock is based off of KCcrow's Seven Round Mock. Link is below. Some people might hate this mock because I didn't take an offensive player. This is a pretty weak offensive draft class imo and I pretty much went with what I felt was best player available every round. 

http://chiefscoalition.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3626-kccrows-2016-7-round-mock-draft/

CHUN-zOUAAAHjVN.jpg

1. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia - He stands 5'10" and weighs 205 lbs. He hits like a mack truck and is above average in coverage. If he didn't tear his ACL last year he would be a Top 16 lock. His stock is starting to rise after West Virginia's Pro Day and reports say he is healing nicely. I have seen him go as high as #30 to Carolina in mocks that were done over the last day or two. He's my favorite player in the draft and I'm taking him at #28 if Pittsburgh doesn't take him at #25. He reminds me of Eric Berry. He is built like him and plays with the same intensity. He also closes on the run the like Berry. He would make an immediate impact and soon we would have the best safety tandem in the NFL. Note that I like Ron Parker. I just don't think he is built to play SS. I know he did it in a pinch a couple of years ago but the run defense really struggled. I think they want him as that third safety and as a back up corner. 

T.J.-Green.jpg

2. TJ Green, S, Clemson - He stands 6'3" tall and weighs 205 lbs. He ran a 4.34 forty. He is exactly the height/weight/speed type of prospect Dorsey likes. He could be this year's Chris Conley for KC. I don't think he will play safety for KC unless there's an emergency. I think he'll play corner back. Who does he remind you of when you look at him? He reminds me of Sean Smith. He has the exact same size and build. He excels in man coverage and is blazing fast. He went to Clemson as an "Athlete" (he played DB and WR in High School). His first year at Clemson he played wide receiver and switched sides of the ball effortlessly. Make him Al Harris's project and he has the potential to be the next Sean Smith.

draft17.jpg?w=584

4. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, University of Georgia - He stands 6'3" and weighs 247 lbs. He is a blue collar lunch pale type of player. He is tough, physical, and plays with a mean streak. He is a monster against the run and led the SEC in tackles for loss. He's not a "sack master" but is competent and gets several every year. I think he is capable of having a 10 sack season in the NFL in a situation like KC. He reminds me a lot of Tamba Hali in that he plays ROLB and is sort of the forgotten man with Floyd on the other side. He also played hurt all season. I think he's very underrated and is a very smart player. He's the best UGA player in this draft class imo.

8943138.jpg

5a. Antwione Williams, LB, Georgia Southern - He stands 6'3" and weighs 247 lbs. He is a true thumper and we haven't had a guy like him since Belcher. . He never takes a bad angle and never misses a tackle. He is solid in coverage and a beast against the run. He played OLB at GSU but will play MLB in the NFL. He graduated early and has a high football IQ. He didn't get invited to the combine and is pissed about it. He has a huge chip on his shoulder. He is better than Wilson and Alexander for sure. He might even be an upgrade over Mauga. Don't believe me? Check out what he did against UGA. He was every where in that game and was a big part of why GSU forced the game to go to overtime.

ncf_a_jones_kh_600.jpg

5b. Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn - He stands 5'9, weighs 186 lbs., and ran a 4.33 forty. He was a High School track star. He is in the perfect mold of what Sutton likes in a nickel back (Flowers, Owens, Nelson, etc.). He is extremely quick and has proven he can play inside. He is great in man coverage and has no problem getting his head around. In 2014, he had 16 passes defended and 6 interceptions. He had foot surgery in the summer of 2015 and never really played at 100% last fall. Nelson couldn't get on the field last season. This despite losing Gaines for the season. In Green Bay we went with Branch as the nickel back and soon switched to Parker in the coming weeks. The Chiefs obviously didn't want to have to put Parker in there. This makes me question Nelson's potential. I like Jones here. He gives us options and will compete with Nelson. They are opposites. Nelson never missed a tackle at Oregon State and Jones is a great pass defender. Let them battle it out for the nickel spot.

vince.jpeg?w=599

6. Vincent Valentine, DT, University of Nebraska - He stands 6'4" and weighs 329 lbs. He is a mammoth man capable of playing NT in the 3-4. He moves well laterally down the line. He has to be double teamed or he will throw centers around. He plugs the line nicely against the run and stops RBs dead in their tracks. He was awesome in 2014 but a lingering knee injury slowed him down in 2015. Check out his 2014 highlights. 

8916484.jpg

7. Kavon Frazier, S, Central Michigan - Stands 6' and weighs 219 lbs. He's thick and can really lay the wood. He has played both safety positions. He is good in zone coverage and is great against the run. He is always going downhill. Comparisons to Barry Church seem legit. Might be the best special teams player in the draft. Yes, it's another safety but we need them badly. I guarantee you we won't stand pat with what we've got. We use a lot of three safety formations and just lost two. I know we signed two  but we need real competency at safety for our defense to work correctly.

I would hate see all safeties in the first 2 rounds. I think we are pretty good at safety. CB, OL, WR, LB would be where I would look for a contributor.

Read the comments dude. I got Green moving CB and it us beautiful.

I'm not sure if Green has the hips to be a full-time boundary corner. You're basing your entire draft around that premise more or less. He might, not saying he doesn't, but the tape isn't really there to say with certainty that he can make the move to corner. He's got okay transitional footwork when you watch his combine drills. Like most long athletes, he gets clunky on his flip. He struggles finding the football at times on tape. I don't like guys that can't turn their head to the ball consistently playing on the boundary. I look at Green as a height/weight/speed guy similar to most pundits. Sometimes he tries to deliver a pop but it never really comes through. He's a catch and fall tackler, usually giving up 3 yards on a tackle. Watch the tape. He's out of position quite a bit and his athleticism in college helped make up for some serious mistakes where he was able to come from behind to drag guys down. That won't happen in the NFL. He looks okay from the deep middle with everything in front of him. He's actually much like Ron Parker. He's going to take some time to grow, whether at CB or FS. He's a guy I'd consider in the 4th, but definitely not in the 2nd.

I had Jordan Jenkins in quite a few mocks before the Chiefs lost their 3rd rounder. I don't think he'll be there in the 4th. Maybe, but I don't think so. He's fundamentally sound in all respects and plays the run well. Teams will value that. He isn't a guy that is outstanding rushing the passer, but he has a work ethic and he could learn more tricks as a pro. I like him alot.

I've also had Antwione Williams in several mocks and he's on my sleepers list. I know most of you travel over to Chiefs Planet, so I know you know I'm high on this guy. He's going to be a good ILB in a 3-4 in my opinion, or as a 4-3 strongside backer.

Now I'll go back to your round 1 pick. I like Joseph a bunch, but that injury is going to probably preclude him from getting 1st round consideration. He's also undersized and projects more as an Earl Thomas type in the pros. He has a bit too much Bob Sanders too him though for me. He plays reckless for his size and I think that could be a problem with injuries in the NFL. If he can learn to be more controlled with the punishment to his own body, he could be a hell of a player. As it stands though, I think the Chiefs will look at Vonn Bell long before they do Joseph in the 1st. Bell is probably the best man-cover safety in the draft and doesn't play to punish himself nearly as much.

I don't see the Chiefs ignoring the offense either. Bad choice on your part IMO.

Good points crow and thanks for the feedback.

1. Joseph - KC's window is shrinking imo. I get what you are saying with Bob Sanders comment but we might not have him for more than four years anyway. You can't worry about guys that play like that imo.

2. Green - You are right about him making or breaking the whole draft. I didn't come up with the idea of moving him to CB. It's been floated around by some scouts. In fact, I saw Daniel Jeremiah mock him to KC in the second the other night and he sold me on him! LOL

4. Jenkins - I agree that he might not make it that far. However, I did base this draft after your seven round mock and he was a steal imo.

5. Williams - This guy is gonna be good.

7. Fraizor - Check him out man.

I agree that not taking an offensive player is unrealistic. I just went bpa in each round in this one.

Good points crow and thanks for the feedback.

1. Joseph - KC's window is shrinking imo. I get what you are saying with Bob Sanders comment but we might not have him for more than four years anyway. You can't worry about guys that play like that imo.

2. Green - You are right about him making or breaking the whole draft. I didn't come up with the idea of moving him to CB. It's been floated around by some scouts. In fact, I saw Daniel Jeremiah mock him to KC in the second the other night and he sold me on him! LOL

4. Jenkins - I agree that he might not make it that far. However, I did base this draft after your seven round mock and he was a steal imo.

5. Williams - This guy is gonna be good.

7. Fraizor - Check him out man.

I agree that not taking an offensive player is unrealistic. I just went bpa in each round in this one.

Forgot that I dropped Jenkins to the 4th in my mock. I remember being worried about his pass rush and that pushing him down a bit. Don't rely on my mock :D.

I check everyone out. Frazier is okay in my opinion, no problems with him. I have problems with taking 3 safeties, especially 2 in the first 2 rounds.

I think WR would be up there on my list. Holmes isn't a guy you will want to depend on, DAT may never play again and Conley is still a work in progress. If I am Andy, I am looking at targets.

Wilson is fine IMO. I don't think

It is as big of a need as some people.

What time will our pick be if we don't trade up? I will be on a flight as it the draft starts and want to know whether I can check here on my phone or DVR first when I get land/get home. I don't mind seeing it as it comes on the phone, but I don't want to see reaction to it first or see it scrolled as already picked. If we trade up, I'll be surprised regardless so it wouldn't really matter.

I see it now as 10 minutes for the first round and 7 for the second, and 5 minutes after that. In practicality, is it around 7-8 in the first round? Or do they wait the full ten? It always seems like forever, but I just know it'll go fast if I want it delayed.

Thanks. I land at 9:12 PM, and I have three or four bags, so I will probably go home, hope I can drown out my wife telling me that we have to get the kids showered and asleep before we do our own stuff (she won't do her own things either, and she's understanding during my games). Fast forward (watching as I go) from the beginning and press play when the 27th pick is done (or when a trade-up is announced).

If it were for sure after 10, I would just check my phone when we land. Last year, I was at Disneyland for the draft and I was like, "Yeah, I'm recording videos of the kids." My wife tries to look at my screen and I turn, pretending to just show the atmosphere everywhere. It was at night, so I sometimes had to actually record the parade or my kids singing to the songs. It's fun, but sports-stressful.

I'm sure you were ALL wondering what my schedule was. You're welcome.

Mugsy Mock 1.1 (Still Going with Crow's Mock as the Baseline)

1. Vernon Butler, DE/DT, SE Louisiana

2. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

4. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

5a. Antwione Williams, LB, Georgia Southern 

5b. Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn

6. Vincent Valentine, DT, Nebraska

7. LaQuan McGowan, TE/OG/???, Baylor

Mugsy Mock 1.1 (Still Going with Crow's Mock as the Baseline)

1. Vernon Butler, DE/DT, SE Louisiana

2. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

4. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

5a. Antwione Williams, LB, Georgia Southern 

5b. Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn

6. Vincent Valentine, DT, Nebraska

7. LaQuan McGowan, TE/OG/???, Baylor

Sorry, but the Chiefs just can't wait that long to get a starting quality CB.  Gaines and Nelson just aren't enough opposite Peters. 

Sorry, but the Chiefs just can't wait that long to get a starting quality CB. Gaines and Nelson just aren't enough opposite Peters.

You are forgetting about Parker, Flemming and Cooper. All of those guys have proven they can play. Especially Parker... Gaines has looked good every time he's stepped on the field. He was great when he started the first two games last year. I don't believe CB is as much of a priority as people think. I don't think they ever thought of smith as anything more than a stopgap. Gaines has been in the plans since they drafted him.

If we take a CB in the first, it will be one that can play nickel back like Alexander. Similar to when Houston took Johnson last year. Apple, Jackson, and Burns are overrated and Dorsey will see that. They are just bigger. We will go DT or S before we take one of those guys. There is better value in those positions.

Mugsy Mock 1.3 (This draft is based off of Drafttek 7 Round Mock)

1. Trade! #28 (1st) and #165 (5th) to the Bears for #41 (2nd) and #72 (3rd). Chicago moves ahead of Arizona to take Paxton Lynch. Carson Palmer is fragile and getting long in the tooth.

2. (#41 from Chicago) Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia - You know I love this guy.

2. (#59) Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State - We need a firecracker on offense imo. Miller in the slot would be great.

3. (#72 from Chicago) Josh Garnett, OG, Stanford - Better than average guard. Some have him ranked higher but guards drop pretty regularly. 

4. (#126) Adam Gostis, DE, Georgia Tech - This guy was a beast at DT/DE for Georgia Tech. Has no experience in the 3-4 but he's smart and has a high motor. Could be the best kept secret in the draft.

5. (#162) Graham Glasgow, OG/OC, Michigan - Solid center for Michigan. Had a great senior bowl and Chiefs like versatility.

6. (#203) De'Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State - Giant 6'5" recievier who was awesome at Miss. St. The film checks out but he ran a 4.65 forty and this caused him to drop. Was projected to go as high as the second round before combine. He could be a steal because he looks fast in pads to me.

7. (#249) Curt Magitt, OLB, Tennessee - Got into some legal trouble a few months ago but seems to be cleared. Would have been a second day pick before the legal woes. 

http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Archived