Chiefs 2016 Schedule

Three Prime time Games, two of which are at home against division 

opponents. no MNF <_<  guess ESPN still does not think to highly

of us...

WK       DATE                 OPPONENT               TIME (ET)

1       Sun, Sep 11          San Diego                 1:00 PM CBS

2       Sun, Sep 18   @    Houston                    1:00 PM CBS

3       Sun, Sep 25          New York                   4:25 PM CBS

4       Sun, Oct 2     @    Pittsburgh                 8:30 PM NBC

5      Sun, Oct 9               Bye

6       Sun, Oct 16   @    Oakland                    4:05 PM CBS

7       Sun, Oct 23        New Orleans                1:00 PM FOX

8       Sun, Oct 30   @  Indianapolis                1:00 PM CBS

9       Sun, Nov 6          Jacksonville                1:00 PM CBS

10      Sun, Nov 13   @   Carolina                    1:00 PM CBS

11      Sun, Nov 20         Tampa Bay                 1:00 PM FOX

12      Sun, Nov 27   @   Denver                      4:25 PM CBS

13      Sun, Dec 4     @   Atlanta                      1:00 PM CBS

14      Thu, Dec 8           Oakland                   8:25 PM NBC

15      Sun, Dec 18        Tennessee                  1:00 PM CBS

16      Sun, Dec 25         Denver                    8:30 PM NBC

17      Sun, Jan 1    @    San Diego                  4:25 PM CBS

WK DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET)

1 Sun, Sep 11 San Diego: Better win or else we're in for a long season, even if we rebound. Always challenge us, but with prep time (both teams have), we should win at home. - W

2 Sun, Sep 18 @ Houston: If we want to do anything this year, we need to rack up AFC wins: This year, we're still better - W

3 Sun, Sep 25 New York: Have to win for same reason. Going to trust them here: W

4 Sun, Oct 2 @ Pittsburgh: Can't predict a road win here without seeing convincing wins above. - L

6 Sun, Oct 16 @ Oakland - Rising team, but with the bye, I think we win: W

7 Sun, Oct 23 New Orleans - Could be a stinker, but thinking they don't have it altogether yet - W

8 Sun, Oct 30 @ Indianapolis - Loss by luck or Luck - L

9 Sun, Nov 6 Jacksonville - The Jaguars aren't there yet, but are improving - W

10 Sun, Nov 13 @ Carolina - We can win, but I'll put this as a loss - L

11 Sun, Nov 20 Tampa Bay - Same as Jaguars but a bit better - W

12 Sun, Nov 27 @ Denver - Could win but counting it as a loss we'll hate - L

13 Sun, Dec 4 @ Atlanta - Same boat as the New Orleans game, but I'll give us a road win. - W

14 Thu, Dec 8 Oakland - Coin flip between Oakland and Denver - W/L

15 Sun, Dec 18 Tennessee - Same as Jacksonville and Tampa Bay - W

16 Sun, Dec 25 Denver - Coin flip between Oakland and Denver - L/W

17 Sun, Jan 1 @ San Diego - Should win, but ? - W

11-5 to 12-4.

My largely irrelevant guesses:

vs. Chargers: W - Their whole is less than the sum of their parts.

@ Houston: W - In 2015, they lost, and then they were embarrassed in the playoffs. Now they have Osweiler, who is only a marginal upgrade over either of Hoyer or Mallett.

vs. Jets: W - The Chiefs will have a harder time with this one if the Jets manage to sign Fitzpatrick rather than being forced to move forward with Geno Smith. This is the AFC East version of the Texans until they address their quarterback position.

@ Pittsburgh: L - This is one of those games where not having Justin Houston will make the difference. I strongly believe that last year the Chiefs could have won at home against the Steelers even if Roethlisberger had been healthy enough to play. On the other hand, a healthy Roethlisberger and a less-than-dialed in Chiefs defense missing some talent would lead to the Chiefs' first loss of the season in their first game against a quality opponent.

@ Oakland: W - The Raiders will be a better team in 2016 than they have been during the past decade. The Chiefs meanwhile have shored up some critical weaknesses where they were most vulnerable. Coming off of a week's rest, the Chiefs will win this rivalry game.

vs. Saints: W - The Saints are a team ruined by the Drew Brees signing four years ago. They are a shadow of the team against which Alex Smith led two fourth-quarter comebacks in the Divisional Playoffs. I wish this game would have been played on the road.

@ Indianapolis: W - Here's another team that has become weaker over the years. Their roster features Andrew Luck and a few other key pieces that have lacked cohesion.

vs. Jaguars: W - Here's a team I'd watch out for in 2016 as a potential wild card team. They've been a laughingstock for several consecutive seasons, but this season they've quietly assembled something that looks to be more than a roster of mostly defensive stars. I'm glad that the Chiefs got this game at home.

@ Carolina: L - I have some respect for Cam Newton, but he's not the reason the Chiefs could drop this game. If this game were played at Arrowhead, I would have had this down as a win. I expect this game to be the first real test of the Chiefs' offense in 2016, and my two concerns are that the Chiefs won't have the best game plan or the freshest talent going into Sunday. I have some doubts that the Panthers will be in the playoffs in 2016, but their defense is no joke. This might prove to be the Panthers' biggest win of their entire season.

vs. Buccaneers: W - In the battle of quarterbacks that were first-overall draft picks, I take the veteran at home and an angry offensive line against the second-year quarterback with nothing really going for him.

@ Denver: W - The Chiefs have proven that even on the road they can beat the Broncos, and they did that against a better team than will be on the field in 2016.

@ Atlanta: L - In the Chiefs' only back-to-back weeks on the road, the emotion spent for the victory the week before catches up to them.

vs. Raiders: W - The Chiefs will be ready for this game. There will be murmurings that Justin Houston may be ready to come back from his injury, but the Chiefs won't need him in a game where the Chiefs can dictate the flow of the game offensively.

vs. Titans: W - It's amazing how badly a team like the Chiefs can beat poor quality teams when they're not deprived of multiple starters in a single game.

vs. Broncos: W - Justin Houston may play a few snaps in this game to shake off some rust. The Broncos may have already been eliminated from the post-season. It'll be Christmas, and no one will want to be there.

@ San Diego: W - The Chiefs will be playing for the one-seed in a week where a loss could mean having to play in week 18. There will be a few fans holding signs saying, "San Diego, 2017".

Maybe I'm optimistic, but 13-3 seems about right. The Chiefs will be playing against a weak schedule while fielding a roster with a substantial amount of both talent and chemistry before week one begins. Injuries will play a role as always. On any given week, the games I have down as losses could be won, whereas many of the other thirteen games are games the Chiefs should win.

vs. Broncos: W - Justin Houston may play a few snaps in this game to shake off some rust. The Broncos may have already been eliminated from the post-season. It'll be Christmas, and no one will want to be there.

I am not too sure about this one, the fact that it is on Christmas day will keep some away, but the fact that it is against a Division Rival will help keep ticket sales higher than if they were playing someone like tampa bay or cleveland etc

Off season has a long way to go. At this point KC is not as good a team as the team that won a play off game last year.

- Sean Smith

- Jeff Allen

+ Mitchell Schwartz

+ Phillip Gaines

Once I realized that you were comparing the April 2016 Chiefs to the January 2016 Chiefs that already didn't have Justin Houston (or not one that counted), I realized that these teams are almost dead even in talent and ability, and the 2016 draft hasn't happened yet, nor has the off-season program started to the extent that the Chiefs can further develop their recent free-agent acquisitions and talent drafted in 2014 and 2015 (especially Rod Streater, Phillip Gaines, Steven Nelson and Ramik Wilson).

I believe the Chiefs have had a very strong off-season, and have navigated through a free agent period that could have completely killed this team's momentum coming into this year. After the draft, the next big roster re-alignment comes up in 2017, when the Chiefs will be up against the cap with $49.9 million of that year's cap hit coming just from Houston, Smith, and Maclin. The Chiefs need to look at getting Dustin Colquitt off the books, getting one of their young inside linebackers developed enough to replace Josh Mauga, and seeing who they might lock down for long-term contracts from the trio of Eric Berry, Eric Fisher, and Dontari Poe. To prepare for that reality, the Chiefs will likely draft a safety, a defensive end, an offensive tackle, and a punter in this year's draft. (This is the moment that I realized just how much losing a third-round pick this year hurts the Chiefs.)

That being said, John Dorsey has done a phenomenal job with this roster.

The Broncos are still the team to beat with that great defense and the Raiders will be better this year. Not so sure the Chiefs are a lock to win the AFC west. Dorsey kept the team basically intact but losing Sean Smith is going to hurt badly. I think 9 and 7 is realistic with this schedule. I hope that's good enough for a home playoff game this year.

I think Denver lost much more than us this off season. I think we have a clear edge on them. The Raiders have a ton of talent, but we have seen them squander talented rosters over and over. They are still the Raiders until they prove they are not the Raiders.

I predict 11-5 and win the division.

I wouldn't dismiss San Diego. Wisenhunt is a good OC, did well for SD once and Rivers can rip you apart if they figure out a way to protect him.

With the movement in the draft, it looks like they have a clear path to the best LT in the draft.

Keenan Allen and Travis Benjamin will be a good WR duo.

Archived