Draft Question

I am not well informed a college players. But what I have seen several mocks that have most of the decent CBs gone and Paxton Lynch still on the board when we pick. What would we do there with with denver 3 picks behind us. I would say jump all over a stud guard, but is this kid dangerous enough we need to keep Denver from having a shot at him. After all we don't have a legit QBOF right now.

AZ mat snag him ahead of Denver, but what would you do if it happened?

You draft to improve your team so you don't take a guy to fuck Denver, and I don't really think this is the draft for "stud" Guards or do I think you need to take Guards high. You can find good ones in the middle rounds.

A lot of dynamics will change with the Rams trade and with a QB going the first two picks now, the first round will change dramatically. I don't see a chancr of Lynch falling into the 20's now.

IMO, the 49ers panic and take him.

This changes a lot of dynamics for thr Chiefs slot. You've got Denver 3 picks later, who don't have a QB. Later on you've got Dallas, who has to start looking for a Romo replacement and the Jets are later on and have no QB.

I think you could bait the Jets to give a lot to move up ahead of Dallas and Denver for Connor Cook. With Goff and Wentz gone, Cook is the last QB who could realistically start immediately.

There really isn't much drop off talent wise from late first to deep into Day 2, I think. Excellent draft for trading down for more picks or even better, future picks.

Pretty much. I would love to trade down and pick up a 3. This draft is so deep. Even another 4 would be nice.

I am not enamored with Lynch the way some on here are. He is a major project who is years away from being more than a backup, if ever. It would be difficult for me to even use our 2 on him. I hope the donks do use their 1 on him. Funny.

Trade down

Corner

Dline

OLB

You draft to improve your team so you don't take a guy to fuck Denver, and I don't really think this is the draft for "stud" Guards or do I think you need to take Guards high. You can find good ones in the middle rounds.

A lot of dynamics will change with the Rams trade and with a QB going the first two picks now, the first round will change dramatically. I don't see a chancr of Lynch falling into the 20's now.

IMO, the 49ers panic and take him.

This changes a lot of dynamics for thr Chiefs slot. You've got Denver 3 picks later, who don't have a QB. Later on you've got Dallas, who has to start looking for a Romo replacement and the Jets are later on and have no QB.

I think you could bait the Jets to give a lot to move up ahead of Dallas and Denver for Connor Cook. With Goff and Wentz gone, Cook is the last QB who could realistically start immediately.

There really isn't much drop off talent wise from late first to deep into Day 2, I think. Excellent draft for trading down for more picks or even better, future picks.

Back in the olden days you drafted players to match up or neutralize the other team's players in your division.The Raiders drafted Art Shell to counter Buck Buchanan for example. ya got to win your division and the best way is to beat your divisional rivals

If the top four CBs are gone by the time it's the Chiefs turn, then I hope they trade down and pick up a 3.  They could still get a shot at a CB plus a starting OG in the second round and go ILB in the third.  Picks at D-line, OLB, and safety probably won't net any starters and I think the Chiefs window is open now.  

Back in the olden days you drafted players to match up or neutralize the other team's players in your division.The Raiders drafted Art Shell to counter Buck Buchanan for example. ya got to win your division and the best way is to beat your divisional rivals

That's a little different, which still happens.

I wouldn't make a stupid pick to spite Denver. As in drafting Dak Prescott at all. They can have him.

If the top four CBs are gone by the time it's the Chiefs turn, then I hope they trade down and pick up a 3. They could still get a shot at a CB plus a starting OG in the second round and go ILB in the third. Picks at D-line, OLB, and safety probably won't net any starters and I think the Chiefs window is open now.

Yep on the trade down. And the top four corners this year are not that great. Not even close to last year's class.

Disagree on safetys. There are some f'ing studs this year. If we could get our 3 back, or trade for one, a safety can be had there with potential to start. In this day, you need 4 quality safetys anyway, with all of the sub defenses being used.

I hope they don't waste a pick on a guard unless they are sure that he will start over LDT or Fulton.

Guard isn't a wasted pick.  The line is presently a weakness and an OG in the second could be an instant upgrade.  I don't like O-line picks in the first round unless it's one of the "can't miss" OTs which come up sometimes in the top ten.  But if Garnett is available at #59, the Chiefs would do well to consider him.  Parker and Berry are pretty solid at safety and extra corners can fill the nickle and dime packages.  I think the Chiefs need to replace Sean Smith with a high pick or starting FA.  Hopefully, Gaines or Nelson will step up, but we can't count on that happening this season.

Historically speaking both Andy Reid and John Dorsey have drafted a QB in a high round when their starting QB was 31, even though their starting QB was still performing well. McNabb and Brett Favre were the starters and Kevin Kolb and of course Aaron Rogers were the picks. Alex Smith is 31. Would anyone be surprised or pissed off if this happens again? If Paxton Lynch is there do they pull the trigger? The Chiefs are not the record holders for not drafting a QB in the first round but it's been since 1983 and that is a long damn time! The Saints have not since 1971 if you can believe that shit. I would not be mad if this happens even with more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, like a cornerback or DT.

I wouldn't mind it, as long as everyone on the team is given the chance to keep their jobs by performing well, everyone is properly developed rather than playing favorites, and that we make the best decision on who to keep, promote, cut, trade, etc.

I don't like square pegs in round holes, limiting those who are playing now and then asking the next guy to do something different, rushing someone in before they are ready, or forcing someone due to their draft status. Make the current guy do what you will ask the next guy to do and give him the coaching, tools, etc. to do it. I think we're covered there based on the players, coaches, etc. that we have.

I would evaluate the new player based upon what team he joined (well oiled machine with great developing coaches vs. shitty team with incompetent coaches).

This doesn't go to just one position. I want Dee Ford to get some time, but as long as Houston et al are performing, it's their job. Once one outshines the other either through good performance from the new guy or poor performance by the current starter.

I just want to win, doesn't matter who we have. I just think we will have longer long term results if we follow this approach as opposed to pushing something - either in the draft or getting them on the field too early.

It's always hard to predict players dropping in the draft, but with LAX, CLE, SFO, and NYJ picking earlier in the first round and all needing QB upgrades, isn't it very unlikely that Lynch will drop as far as #28?  Could happen, but the odds are long.

It's always hard to predict players dropping in the draft, but with LAX, CLE, SFO, and NYJ picking earlier in the first round and all needing QB upgrades, isn't it very unlikely that Lynch will drop as far as #28?  Could happen, but the odds are long.

Lynch is more of a project and the Browns, Jets need an immediate starter.

I do agree that he doesnt slip after the trade. I see the 49ers going into panic mode and taking Lynch without a plan for him.

I love how things go so much differently from the mocks. Guys are all over the place in these mocks anyway. I guess it is testiment to what a crap shoot it is.

Yep, we aren't there for the interviews, physicals, and back ground checks. It's dumb to even try if you really think about it. It's still fun though. If you pick one guy the chiefs take you are kicking ass. Two guys???? I've done it once in the 15 years I have been doing this

Archived