Could the Chiefs go after Norman

Cornerbacks are never worth that sort of money. Darrell Revis wasn't. Deion Sanders, if he played today, might not be worth that much. The ability to take away an opponent's best wide receiver is significant, but it's not worth 10% of the salary cap.

Deion Sanders would not be worth anywhere near that money if he played today. The man is old now. Just kidding, I know what you meant.

why is a team allowed to cancel the franchise tag on a player, but a player cannot have the option to do the same

The player can cancel by signing a longer contract with said team or retiring forever. ;)

This is a question for having franchise tags at all. If either side could leave, it becomes just a one year deal that either could leave. The player can refuse to sign in the first place, but can't leave. If either could cancel, then it practically speaking wouldn't exist.

But yeah, I don't understand why it isn't "neither team not player" (unless a longer deal is signed, extended). It's just a team benefit that applies to the team from cradle to grave, for one year at a time at competitive and successively increasing rates.

The way I understand it he never signed the tag so therefore they could pull it.

In a lot of cases, players refuse to sign the tag because they lose leverage in contract talks: Why sign the tag and be obligated to off-season programs and their associated risk of injury that could result in losing far more money than the tag guarantees? Of course, getting tagged with the threat of release can put players like Norman in a bad spot.

Norman obviously didn't want to remain in Carolina for what they were going to pay, but he went from a team that played in the Super Bowl to a team that's almost 25-years separated from a Super Bowl victory, has taken their division only twice in the last 15 years, and hasn't won in the post-season during the past 10 years. I suspect that Norman's newest contract contains void years or some other mechanism that would allow him to 'graduate' to a better contract or a better team.

Thank God he didn't go to NE or Denver. There would have a few in here who would have pointed out how these teams always take chances to improve where the Chiefs always play it safe.

i will admit that i had some fear that horseface would find a way to bring him to denver, even though the raiders may be a spot..

Archived