Draft wish list

My wish is that the Chiefs could trade their #28 and one fifth round pick for a second and third (around 11th or 12th in each round).  Then get Artie Burns, CB and Garnett, OG  in the second and Brothers, ILB in the third.  The last four picks could fill backup for WR, S, D-line, etc. 

That's assuming that none of the top four CB are on the board at #28.

Anyone else care to add their dream scenario?

Nice Jet.

My wish is that Lynch is there at #28 and someone will want to trade up and get him before Arizona takes him. I'd like to trade back.

It would also be cool if Jack slides to us because of injury or Hargreaves because of weed.

Nice Jet.

My wish is that Lynch is there at #28 and someone will want to trade up and get him before Arizona takes him. I'd like to trade back.

It would also be cool if Jack slides to us because of injury or Hargreaves because of weed.

I'd guess both Jack and Hargreaves are gone in the top 20 unless there's bigger problems than we're aware of.

Just don't do anything beyond stupid and I'll be fine. No more Dee Ford's.

Was the Ford pick stupid?  It worked out that way, but at the time, Dorsey was looking to replace Hali and Ford was his option.  Like many first rounders, it failed for the time being.  Whether Ford becomes productive down the road is still an open question.  I'll admit that a first rounder should be able to step in within the first two years and many of us wondered what Dorsey was doing when he selected Ford.

I don't care who the Chiefs draft. Some will hate the pick, some will love the pick and still some won't really care.

With the exception of can't miss QBs or RBs, who else made such an impact on a team that it took them to the SB within a year or two? Draft picks take a few years to mature and most fans make up their minds about that player within a year or two.

Was the Ford pick stupid?  It worked out that way, but at the time, Dorsey was looking to replace Hali and Ford was his option.  Like many first rounders, it failed for the time being.  Whether Ford becomes productive down the road is still an open question.  I'll admit that a first rounder should be able to step in within the first two years and many of us wondered what Dorsey was doing when he selected Ford.

Before you even look at his lack of production, you have to remember that he was a significant reach in the first place.

Nothing wrong with not drafting an immediate need, if the value is there. The value definitely was not there with Dee Ford.

Peters was a reach at the time. I saw very little mention of him in the first round. I got no problem going after the guy you want. Hali was a reach. Fisher was a reach. I don't know. I want them to roll the dice and go for it. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. And Ford may still work out. He was greatly improved last year. I don't know if I wouldn't look at him at ILB. His coverage and sideline to sideline speed are more impressive than his pass rush to me. I think he will find a fit here and be a good player.

Peters was a reach at the time. I saw very little mention of him in the first round. I got no problem going after the guy you want. Hali was a reach. Fisher was a reach. I don't know. I want them to roll the dice and go for it. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. And Ford may still work out. He was greatly improved last year. I don't know if I wouldn't look at him at ILB. His coverage and sideline to sideline speed are more impressive than his pass rush to me. I think he will find a fit here and be a good player.

A few things:

Not sure where you were looking, but Peters was touted as the top Corner and most pro ready, in last year's draft. He was talked about in round 1 plenty. His maturity was all that was questioned.

Hali was a slight reach.

Ford doesn't have near the football IQ to play inside. That would be scary. Just because he made one play on Woodhead doesn't make him impressive in coverage. He is a pin-your-ears-back and go after the QB type player and scares me as an every down OLB. I hope he proves me wrong.

Fisher was a definite reach, but anyone in that draft would have been a reach at 1.

I think the GMs have to stick to their boards and like you say, go for it. What we or the supposed experts call a reach, they might see as value. Unless you are Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

A few things:

Not sure where you were looking, but Peters was touted as the top Corner and most pro ready, in last year's draft. He was talked about in round 1 plenty. His maturity was all that was questioned.

Hali was a slight reach.

Ford doesn't have near the football IQ to play inside. That would be scary. Just because he made one play on Woodhead doesn't make him impressive in coverage. He is a pin-your-ears-back and go after the QB type player and scares me as an every down OLB. I hope he proves me wrong.

Fisher was a definite reach, but anyone in that draft would have been a reach at 1.

I think the GMs have to stick to their boards and like you say, go for it. What we or the supposed experts call a reach, they might see as value. Unless you are Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

Just saying that after we drafted Peters I went the the mocks to read up on him. I couldn't find him near where we drafted him in the mocks I looked at. I guess that is how you designate a reach. All micks are 80% wrong it seems even in the first round. I think it is mostly that fans a sports writers have access to the information in the players or the coaches plans for the players.

Hali was an end first/early 2nd guy so it's not like the Chiefs took a beating on value.

Ford was a definite 2nd-3rd round guy. The pick was flat stupid when they were in dire need of a receiver.

My point is that the got great value with the Hali pick. You say he was a late 1st round or 2nd round guy, but he wasn't. He was a #20 overall guy. He has 6 Pro Bowls to prove it. The team's evaluation him was more accurate than the sports writers and fan who say he should have gone later.

Every one is throwing darts with the draft, but I think the team's who talk to and question the players and see them work out in person are in a far better position to evaluate.

Just saying that after we drafted Peters I went the the mocks to read up on him. I couldn't find him near where we drafted him in the mocks I looked at. I guess that is how you designate a reach. All micks are 80% wrong it seems even in the first round. I think it is mostly that fans a sports writers have access to the information in the players or the coaches plans for the players.

Peters would have been high in the draft if it wasn't for his "character" reputation.  Like with Houston, KC took a chance that the talent was there and the outside issues would not be a long term factor.  It wasn't a reach.  It was taking a risk.

My point is that the got great value with the Hali pick. You say he was a late 1st round or 2nd round guy, but he wasn't. He was a #20 overall guy. He has 6 Pro Bowls to prove it. The team's evaluation him was more accurate than the sports writers and fan who say he should have gone later.

Every one is throwing darts with the draft, but I think the team's who talk to and question the players and see them work out in person are in a far better position to evaluate.

Hali was exactly what I said, a late first/early 2nd kind of guy.  The evaluation was correct, but teams can't always get the right blend of filling need and maximizing value.  That's one of the elements to what makes drafting so hard.

Herm reached because they couldn't get pressure outside of JA.  Luckily it worked out for KC.  Reaching a little to fill your big needs isn't the end of the world, but you shouldn't be reaching by a round plus to do it, like Dorsey did with Dee Ford.

Here's what they should be looking at:

(WR)  The lack of a healthy Maclin really stagnated the Offense during the playoffs and gambling on Maclin staying healthy can be dangerous.  Regardless of Streeter being good or bad, he's a one year prove it rental who won't be returning.  I don't think we've seen enough from Conley to hand him the reigns, and if he does improve, he can be a slot dude.  If Conley improves and Streeter isn't a dud, they got one ridiculous WR corp for a SB run with a good young talented WR and Maclin.

(CB)  Peters is a stud, and I think Gaines is a slot dude.  They need to acquire a strong #2.

(QB)  Alex Smith seems to have a grasp of the offense, but he's now in his 30's.  Early 30's isn't a death sentence for a QB, but he relies a lot on his wheels to bail him out of shit and he's going to sharply decline when the wheels aren't as effective.  This is right around the point when Andy started planning for life, post McNabb.  Landing a QB isn't a dire thing, but they should really consider things if a good prospect slides to them.

(OL) Either a good Center or Guard.  This should be a very achievable goal in Day 3.

(DL) They are a bit thin for depth.

There could be other needs, depending on how you view things.  If you're not happy with the recent additions at LB, you could make a case for ILB.  If you don't like the moves at S, than you could make a case for S help.  Could also discuss RB with Charles on his last year, and the desire to get rid of Knile Davis.

There's also something not talked about much, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a punter. 

A lot of posters here disagree, but I don't feel the need for using a high pick for a WR.  It's about the fourth priority in my book after CB, OG, and ILB.  Conley and Streater will have to complement Maclin for the time being and maybe the Chiefs can take a shot on a WR on the third day.  If they use #28 on a WR, it will be very disappointing.  Besides, they now have Mike Williams on the roster.

People don't like Guards on day 1 or 2. I always hear that they are easy to find late in the draft. Makes me wonder why we don't have any. If the guy that helps us the most is a guard, draft him.  I would not be at all upset at a guard in the second round. Or the first for the right guy.

People don't like Guards on day 1 or 2. I always hear that they are easy to find late in the draft. Makes me wonder why we don't have any. If the guy that helps us the most is a guard, draft him. I would not be at all upset at a guard in the second round. Or the first for the right guy.

I have always said piss on the experts and wannabe draft experts if player X is the player you want take him if you think he won't be around the next time you draft.

One persons round 1 player may be another person's round 2 or 3 player.

A lot of posters here disagree, but I don't feel the need for using a high pick for a WR.  It's about the fourth priority in my book after CB, OG, and ILB.  Conley and Streater will have to complement Maclin for the time being and maybe the Chiefs can take a shot on a WR on the third day.  If they use #28 on a WR, it will be very disappointing.  Besides, they now have Mike Williams on the roster.

They just drafted 2 ILB's last year.  Why is ILB so high?  Why would signing a WR on a one year deal, that was out of football last year, change your draft plans?

ffs

If you see an excellent talented Guard and your needs are low, sure I'd take a consideration.  This class of Guards is fairly weak at the top, and I still believe the best LG is someone they've got playing at Center.

Archived