Mugsy Mock (Final Chiefs Mock 2016)

You can see how my first round shakes out at the link below. I think we definitely trade back for a 2nd and 3rd. That #28 pick will be wanted and we are due to trade back. We get a 2nd and 3rd (#45 and #76) from Tennessee for #28. The trade value is exactly 660/660. Unfortunately, my top 5 are all gone (Karl Joseph, Vernon Butler, William Jackson, MacKenzie Alexander, and Jarran Reed).

Mugsy Mock 2016 (Final)

2. Germaine Ifedi, OT/OG, Texas A&M 

2. Von Bell, S, Ohio State 

3. Vadal Alexander, OG/OT, LSU 

4. Adolphus Washington, DT/DE, Ohio State 

5. Adam Gotsis, DT/DE, Georgia Tech 

5. Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn

6. De'Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State  

7. Antwione Willams, LB, Georgia Southern 

http://chiefscoalition.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3709-mugsys-2016-first-round-mock-final/&do=findComment&comment=51151

If the Chiefs trade down, and they should, if able, they'd better get a true CB in the second round. Anything less will be a failed draft.

There won't be one worth taking. I don't believe they need a cb as bad as you do either

There won't be one worth taking. I don't believe they need a cb as bad as you do either

Fair enough, but after Peters and an untested Gaines, who is left?  Nelson?  CB and interior are immediate needs.  WR, ILB, S, DT, OLB are positions that need depth but not immediate starters.

Fair enough, but after Peters and an untested Gaines, who is left?  Nelson?  CB and interior are immediate needs.  WR, ILB, S, DT, OLB are positions that need depth but not immediate starters.

Gaines started the first three games last year against Houston, Denver, and Green Bay. He played well. Ron Parker has proven he can play. Cooper and Flemming are alright in a pinch. Nelson should have played in the nickel last year but couldn't get on the field. The one guy that REALLY fits is MacKenzie Alexander. He is the type of nickel back Sutton likes.

Gaines started the first three games last year against Houston, Denver, and Green Bay. He played well. Ron Parker has proven he can play. Cooper and Flemming are alright in a pinch. Nelson should have played in the nickel last year but couldn't get on the field. The one guy that REALLY fits is MacKenzie Alexander. He is the type of nickel back Sutton likes.

My feeling is that poor CB play is impossible to cover up.  Teams can compensate for weakness at other positions, but a CB is on an island much of the time.  No way could the Chiefs cover for Bartee's failure to find the ball in the air.  Twice early last season the Chiefs couldn't get off the field in the last minute and lost games.  Shut down corners are top priorities.

we picked up numbers...not sure if any can earn starter time.

w

TC will be fun this summer.  Gaines, Russell, Murray Nelson, and a few others competing for playing time and maybe some getting looks at safety.  Same at WR.  Who knows what's happening with DAT but the Chiefs got him some competition with a 4.25-40 speedster.  The Chiefs could still be week at ILB and O-line but I think their draft helped in several areas.

we picked up numbers...not sure if any can earn starter time.

w

When Gaines got hurt last year, we had no nickel back. Remember when they tried Branch in there? They were reluctant to move Parker into that role. Nelson never even got a look at nickel back. All three corners we took are 5'10" - 5'11''. These guys are all nickel types. Gaines will definitely start on the outside if he's healthy. He's tall, fast, and proven. The rest will compete with nelson in the nickel. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is moved to safety. I see no chance of Russell beating out Gaines unless he's still injured. 

Archived