I know I know...these young punks today blah blah blah

The Chiefs used to hold their draft in June with the other teams.  It was always in Madison Square Garden.  Usually it was on a Monday and Tuesday.  They could draft about 4 or 5 players on day 1 of the draft and the rest....usually 13 picks on day 2 of the draft.

We the fans would get updates on the Chiefs draft every 2 hours or so.   KCMO which was flagship station of Chiefs broadcasts would give a 5 minute summary of who the Chiefs had but very little on the player himself.  If you wanted to know the value of a player you had to subscribe to Pro Football Weekly draft supplemental edition.   Then when your player was announced you would quickly read the newspaper looking for the name,  hoping he was there.

I remember reading some of the strange names....Gary Butler..Brian Joczwiak, Ethan Horten, Woody Green,  Todd Blackledge,  Paul Palmer,  Steve Fuller  and the strangest 1st round pick the Chiefs ever selected:  Terzelle Jenkins.  Jenkins was not even in the newspaper anywhere.  We would have to wait until Wednesdays Kansas City Star to read what Bill Richardson had written about each of the Chiefs picks.

In the 70s the Chiefs picked a player from Kentucky #1,  the name escapes me,  who never played a down for them.  He went to prison after the Chiefs drafted him.

Anyway,  the draft was just another day.  It started to become big business when ESPN carried them.  Now its a mega football event.

But despite all the hoopla and promotion.....

Its still the same crapshoot its been since its inception.

Wilkie is referring to Elmore Stephans.  Actually, the Chiefs draft history is pathetic if one looks back.  I'd estimate that over 50% of the first round picks were busts and some drafts had no benefit to the team at all.  What's scary is that the last time the Chiefs traded out of the first to get two seconds, they picked Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson.  What a fiasco that was.

who was the guy from Kentucky that wound up in the pen?...yoo lazy to look and its fun to see peoples opinions that actually remember..

Elmore Stephens.  He was drafted in the second round because Stram had traded off the first round pick.  The Chiefs only had 11 pick in the seventeen rounds because of stupid trades and out of the 11, only one made the team, Morris LeGrand, a RB who was released after 11 games.  The other ten never played a down of NFL football.  Stephens was traded to the Giants during his rookie TC, and they released him after a month or so.  Someone robbed his apartment in KY. and he and two friends kidnapped the guy they thought did it, put him in a car trunk, then murdered him and dumped the body in the river.  The victims girlfriend IDed Stephens and when the body washed up, he was charged with the murder and got 21 years.  This was the guy who was going to replace Arbanas.  Side note:  Paul Wiggins was named head coach just a few days before the draft and the Chiefs scouting department was a joke.  That probably had a lot to do with why the draft that year is now considered the worst in NFL history.

Elmore Stephens.  He was drafted in the second round because Stram had traded off the first round pick.  The Chiefs only had 11 pick in the seventeen rounds because of stupid trades and out of the 11, only one made the team, Morris LeGrand, a RB who was released after 11 games.  The other ten never played a down of NFL football.  Stephens was traded to the Giants during his rookie TC, and they released him after a month or so.  Someone robbed his apartment in KY. and he and two friends kidnapped the guy they thought did it, put him in a car trunk, then murdered him and dumped the body in the river.  The victims girlfriend IDed Stephens and when the body washed up, he was charged with the murder and got 21 years.  This was the guy who was going to replace Arbanas.  Side note:  Paul Wiggins was named head coach just a few days before the draft and the Chiefs scouting department was a joke.  That probably had a lot to do with why the draft that year is now considered the worst in NFL history.

The guy was thrilling.  That was the time that Jack Steadman became more interested in bedding as many women as he could while building Worlds of Fun into a money machine.  The team was an afterthought.  I can't believe how long he was GM.  He must have shared some of his women with Lamar.

Guest 303Chiefs

Thomas Edison flew his kite?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

Lol!

Oh come on, you're telling me Edison never flew a kite?

Archived