Should KC Sign Slauson just released Guard?

Bears released OG Matt Slauson.

Slauson was owed just under $3 million this season. The move is surprising after Slauson finished No. 18 in Pro Football Focus' 2015 guard ratings, with a top-ten rank in pass protection. He allowed one sack in 16 starts, and just turned 30 in February. While the Bears are moving on with second-round pick Cody Whitehair at left guard, a good guard just hit the free agent market.
Related: Bears

I think so!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Chiefs passed on Whitehair who replaces this guy. I am no expert and trust KC knows more than me for sure. What I do know is the oline was pathetic last year. WE added only one guy and lost two. Seems like this is a good opportunity.

Ehringer probably will not start his rookie season. He looks like a project. He can play several positions, and he has good size. He has some upsides potential.

The Chiefs don't have enough money to play ball. They are right up against their cap. Part of the strategy to move back in the draft may have been to preserve cap funds. Their second round player, Jones, will count a little over $1 M against their cap. Their 3rd round picks on down should count close to club minimum against the cap this year.

By not having a first round pick, the Chiefs won't have much worries handling their small cap margin.

For that matter I don't even know if he fits our system. But teams can make room if they really want a guy I guess.

I think he fits and he's a passable starter. It's actually a little surprising that Chicago did this.

I don't forsee Dorsey kicking a can down the road by restructuring to make this happen. Only way to make it happen would be a long-term Berry deal, and he will be off the FA market long before a contract is signed.

Free agent G/C Matt Slauson will visit the Chargers and Bills.

Slauson is visiting the Chargers on Wednesday, and will then make the trip to Buffalo. He was drafted by coach Rex Ryan with the Jets in 2009. Buffalo reportedly envisions Slauson as a right tackle. Slauson was Pro Football Focus' No. 18 guard last season, excelling in pass protection. He has position versatility, being able to play either guard spot or center.

Related: BillsChargers

KC needs this guy. Denver makes these things work...KC could too but will they?

The Chiefs are more desperately in need of a backup tackle.

Eric Fisher - Jah Reid - Mitch Morse - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - Mitchell Schwartz

The Chiefs have a backup guard with 22 games of experience as a starter in Zach Fulton. If a tackle gets injured, Reid would slide to tackle, and Fulton would fill the vacated left guard position.

The Chiefs need to keep developing the offensive linemen, but this is the best they have looked in May of any year since John Dorsey arrived.

We should get Berry signed....get that cap down, and talk to this guy.  He was PFF's #18 rated guard, so that basically puts him in the top 25% statistically.  He was top 5 in pass blocking.  He should come pretty cheap, and even if we are comfortable with our Guards(which I think most of us aren't), our depth at guard is even worse. 

Eric Fisher - Jah Reid - Mitch Morse - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - Mitchell Schwartz

The Chiefs have a backup guard with 22 games of experience as a starter in Zach Fulton. If a tackle gets injured, Reid would slide to tackle, and Fulton would fill the vacated left guard position.

The Chiefs need to keep developing the offensive linemen, but this is the best they have looked in May of any year since John Dorsey arrived.

Looks like the same pile as last year. Only Schwartz is different.

Looks like the same pile as last year. Only Schwartz is different.

Fisher is improving and Schwartz should be a considerable upgrade.  Morse has a year of experience and the Chiefs drafted an OG with hopes of starting him.  It's possible that this line will be much better than the one beginning last year.

Fisher is improving and Schwartz should be a considerable upgrade.  Morse has a year of experience and the Chiefs drafted an OG with hopes of starting him.  It's possible that this line will be much better than the one beginning last year.

Yes I agree .........but a proven guard is more predictable and provides for depth from those unproven. Champions make things happen & do not pass on proven talent.

Hah Reid has a low ceiling, but he gives it his all. I really like his hustle. LDT should be better. Morse was excellent house rookie season. The only thing that can detail him is his health. Too many concussions too soon

Hah Reid has a low ceiling, but he gives it his all. I really like his hustle. LDT should be better. Morse was excellent house rookie season. The only thing that can detail him is his health. Too many concussions too soon

45 sacks not good. Depth behind those guys?

Which is why I think he should be moved to Guard.  Dude can't get his head up quick enough.

I really like the mean streek I saw in Fisher last year. Before that it looked like he was playing scared. I think Fisher is coming into his own. I think the guy is on pace to be a good one. Demoting him may have been a wake up call.

Archived