Should KC Sign Slauson just released Guard?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Fisher - Jah Reid - Mitch Morse - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - Mitchell Schwartz

The Chiefs have a backup guard with 22 games of experience as a starter in Zach Fulton. If a tackle gets injured, Reid would slide to tackle, and Fulton would fill the vacated left guard position.

The Chiefs need to keep developing the offensive linemen, but this is the best they have looked in May of any year since John Dorsey arrived.

Looks like the same pile as last year. Only Schwartz is different.

Except that all of these players have added experience to go along with their talent. For the most part, last year's starts weren't wasted on untalented players or on players that weren't retained into the following year. Compare that to what followed the seasons of 2013 (when Branden Albert and Geoff Schwartz departed) and 2014 (when Rodney Hudson and Ryan Harris left). The beauty of the Chiefs' current situation on offensive line is this:

Eric Fisher: 2 years left under contract

Jah Reid: 3 years left under contract

Mitch Morse: 3 years left under contract

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif: 2 years left under contract

Mitchell Schwartz: 5 years left under contract

Zach Fulton: 2 years left under contract

Continuity and cohesion is extremely important in football. Aside from the quarterbacking position, nowhere is that more important than on the offensive line. If five of these six players can stay healthy for a good portion of the 2016 season, no one will be looking at the Chiefs' offensive line as one of the greatest liabilities of the team. More importantly, barring a catastrophic injury, these same players can be expected back for 2017. This is the sort of stability in which a franchise, and especially an offense, can thrive.

I don't know. The more I think about it the less I like bringing this guy in. We already tried bringing in a declining vet last year and that didn't work out so well. We know from history that buying an offensive line rarely works out well.

Plus you only really need average guards. No guard has ever led his team to a superbowl victory.

I don't know. The more I think about it the less I like bringing this guy in. We already tried bringing in a declining vet last year and that didn't work out so well. We know from history that buying an offensive line rarely works out well.

Plus you only really need average guards. No guard has ever led his team to a superbowl victory.

Will Shields didn't win a Super Bowl, but he was a difference maker.

Like Xen, I am also soured on vet guards comung in. Probably just Grubbs and Fandago effect. Love to get youth. The rook and the doctor suit me just fine. I guess I am more worried about Morse than anything when it comes to Iline. 2 concussions his rookie year is not a promising start. It will be a shame if a talented young player like him can't have a career.

Hah Reid has a low ceiling, but he gives it his all. I really like his hustle. LDT should be better. Morse was excellent house rookie season. The only thing that can detail him is his health. Too many concussions too soon

That's what happens when you lead with your head.  Short career.

Chargers signed OL Matt Slauson to a two-year contract.

Slauson also visited with Buffalo following his release this week. He'll take over at center for the Chargers after grading as a top-20 guard at PFF last season. Slauson's signing blocks third-rounder Max Tuerk and will push Chris Watt into a swing role on the interior line.

My Take: KC Continues to settle for hope vs proven talent as the rest of the AFC West takes action!  Draft a felon but pass on Collins last year. Now let Slauson slip buy. 45 sacks last year. Not sure KC knows how to evaluate oline?

Looks like the same pile as last year. Only Schwartz is different.

That's a gigantic "only."  The guy literally stops anything coming his direction toward the QB.

Experience with the other guys counts a lot.

Not sure we have the cap space. But I'm all for upgrading the line. KC has very little invested in the entire group of guards

You restructure guys that want to win now. To late SD took action. KC content to simply be competitive while selling tickets. This regime does not care about a window to win it all. Just stay above average not great.

You restructure guys that want to win now. To late SD took action. KC content to simply be competitive while selling tickets. This regime does not care about a window to win it all. Just stay above average not great.

Quit yer whinin.

Guest Okiechief1

That's a gigantic "only." The guy literally stops anything coming his direction toward the QB.

Experience with the other guys counts a lot.

Yep, and the RG won't to have to worry about helping the edge anymore cause it's pretty much on lockdown. That one player will help make the RG better, by how much much who knows, but it will be better.

Quit yer whinin.

That's exactly what it is.  

If there is anything Andy Reid knows about, it is O-line.  You need great tackles.  We have them in Fish and Schwartz. Guards are a dime a dozen and get good from playing together and from good coaching.  We have young guys who are playing together and learning from a guy who knows O-lines.  I will say, we seem a little overbalanced in pass protection now.  With Charles, Ware, and West, we need a little more emphasis on run blocking. Time of possession. Holding a lead. The biggest unknown is what, if any, drop off might occur with Pederson gone.

Yep, and the RG won't to have to worry about helping the edge anymore cause it's pretty much on lockdown. That one player will help make the RG better, by how much much who knows, but it will be better.

Half the sacks.  Alex must be smiling.

Free Speech Jerk. Its a forum.

"Quit yer whinin" is just an expression meaning "don't act like such a victim."  Its easy to feel like a victim when we haven't won a championship since 1970 (46 years). But if you seriously think this regime is being cheap and not trying to win a championship, you are delusional.  31 other teams are trying also.  As for the O-line, they paid a lot for Grubbs last year. It didn't work, because he was getting old and couldn't heal from a neck injury.  Despite that, they acquired Schwartz at considerable expense, calculating rightfully that right tackle was crucial.  Now they have maybe the best right tackle in the league, or close.  How on earth can that be interpreted as playing it cheap or willing to settle for mediocrity?  Your comment might have been close to right during some prior regimes, but there is no evidence that the current front office is not pulling out all the stops to construct a long-term powerhouse, rather than a one-year flash-in-the-pan team.  I have watched this team get stronger and stronger, deeper and deeper, and has even risked league sanction for tampering to get a true playmaker WR. Teams willing to settle for mediocrity don't do those kinds of things.  In fact, they may be too aggressive in trying to win (Tyreek Hill).

"Quit yer whinin" is just an expression meaning "don't act like such a victim."  Its easy to feel like a victim when we haven't won a championship since 1970 (46 years). But if you seriously think this regime is being cheap and not trying to win a championship, you are delusional.  31 other teams are trying also.  As for the O-line, they paid a lot for Grubbs last year. It didn't work, because he was getting old and couldn't heal from a neck injury.  Despite that, they acquired Schwartz at considerable expense, calculating rightfully that right tackle was crucial.  Now they have maybe the best right tackle in the league, or close.  How on earth can that be interpreted as playing it cheap or willing to settle for mediocrity?  Your comment might have been close to right during some prior regimes, but there is no evidence that the current front office is not pulling out all the stops to construct a long-term powerhouse, rather than a one-year flash-in-the-pan team.  I have watched this team get stronger and stronger, deeper and deeper, and has even risked league sanction for tampering to get a true playmaker WR. Teams willing to settle for mediocrity don't do those kinds of things.  In fact, they may be too aggressive in trying to win (Tyreek Hill).

Blah Blah Blah

There's room on the raider bandwagon for you. You should clean the sand out of your vagina and go.

Archived