My overall impression of the Draft

I have seen the grades people have put out, but nobody has really talked about it much on here, so I thought I would start.  This draft really let me down.  I know the NFL is business, and at the end of the day, I really do believe sometimes that the decisions made by management are to do just enough to keep fans buying tickets and merchandise, but not enough to actually WIN.  It may sound bad, but I don't feel like our team got any better.  I understand the need for depth, but without quality at the top, the depth means nothing, especially on the off chance that injuries are minimal.  I like the players...many are quality players, but too many of them are going to be depth/future contributors.  Many people on here felt like we are a couple positions away from having a serious contending team, and want to see the Chiefs in WIN NOW mode, while we still have DJ, Berry, Peters, Hali, Poe, Houston together locking down the defense and we know that window is closing.  Instead the Chiefs continue to build for the future.  The Royals did this, but then realized when the window to WIN NOW was.  Acquired Zobrist and Cueto and we all know what happened after that...

Anyway, my thoughts on the draft:

Round 2, pick 37:  Chris Jones - I like the kid, but at the end of the day we have Poe, and we have Howard and Bailey locked up for several years with good contracts.  I just don't see this guy getting the playing time you would expect from your first pick in the draft, and that disappoints me.  If you are worried about replacing POE, do it next year, not now. 

Round 2, pick 59:  KeiVarae Russell - I'm just not impressed with this kid.  With a 2nd round pick you should be getting a starter/major contributor in year one in most positions, and I think the only way this guy sees major action is if Gaines gets hurt again.  If Gaines stays healthy and shows what we all think he is capable, we just wasted a high pick.  With our Corner situation, we should have brought in a Veteran to fill the hole for a year if we couldn't get a starting caliber-ready player.  Instead we waited too long and ended up with a 3rd-Tier CB in the 2nd round

Round 4, Pick 105:  Parker Ehinger - Felt like we reached again because we couldn't get what we wanted.  Given that we let Allen walk, and released Grubbs and Fanaika, this guy has the best chance of contributing in year one, but only because of lack of competition and the injuries that come with the Oline...but I get it...he plays multiple positions and Dorsey can't resist...

Round 4, Pick 106:  Eric Murray - I get it, we only had 3 CBs under contract before the draft, so we need bodies. Unfortunately, with all these rookies, all I can see is a repeat of last year when Sean Smith was suspended and we threw CB after CB after CB and even a Safety into his spot and failed miserably.  For a team that should be in Win Now mode, he's just another body/filler to me 

Round 4, Pick 126:  Demarcus Robinson - I feel bad for all WRs drafted this year by KC.  Maclin is a stud, Conley is going to get first shot at the WR2 spot after showing what he had at the end of last year, and if either Streater or Mike Williams are anywhere close to what they were, the 3rd spot is locked up.  Then there is still Wilson, Dat, and camp favorite Fred Wiliams.  Guy will probably end up on the practice squad

Round 5, Pick 162:  Kevin Hogan - I'm actually okay with this pick.  Its the 5th round, we lost our backup QB, and you don't know what you have with Bray.  Add in that Reid likes to have 4 QBs at camp, this is a safe development pick that actually has a need in case Bray gets hurt again/isn't completely recovered.

Round 5, Pick 165:  Tyreek Hill - I'm not speaking on character on any draft picks, only assessing talent and pick.  I just want to say that as I didn't mention it for the others above that have had issues as well.  That said, this feels like a total insurance pick for KR/PR.  With  DAT seemingly in limbo and Knile Davis as good as gone, we have no REAL options for our returners, and if you have a guy like Toub as your Special teams guy, that just wasted coaching talent without the players to back him up.  I doubt this kid will every see real time at WR/RB and will be a special teams guy at best at any stage in his career.

Round 6, Pick 178:  D.J. White - Probably won't even make the team...i'll just leave it at that...

Round 6, Pick 203:  Dadi Nicolas - Practice Squad at best.  Guy needs to put on some serious weight to ever make an NFL team....seems like a wasted pick

So yeah....at the end of the day, in my eyes, we MIGHT have an upgrade from Bailey with Jones in year one.  At best we have a push with Ehinger at guard in year one.  We MIGHT have a slight upgrade at BACKUP CB with Russell, but still an overall considerable downgrade at the starting CB slot. 

We have a ton of POTENTIAL talent...but potential doesn't win championships.  This team did not get better from the draft this year, and when we start to see our leaders leave/decline here very shortly, our window is shrinking.  I feel like we just set ourselves up for 3-5 more years of 7-9 to 9-7 seasons with a wildcard game or two so the fans keep buying tickets.  Very disappointed...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good analysis and good points.  In order to criticize the Chiefs draft, it's better to present an alternative.  My take is that by the time the Chiefs got a pick, trading down made the most sense.  Grabbing Garnett, OG, at #28 would have been a reach although SFO didn't seem to think so.  Aside from CB and interior line, the Chiefs were unlikely to get any starters.  The top CBs were gone and no one wanted a guard until at least the second round.  Getting a DT isn't a waste even with three starters locked in.  The Chiefs rotate the line and DeVito is gone so even if Jones isn't starting, he's essential.  I'm disappointed that the Chiefs let Brothers get away when he could have been drafted on the third day and they need help at ILB.  So back to my original point, what/who do you think the Chiefs should have drafted?

Dorsey's philosophy throughout this whole thing was that the strength of the draft was in rounds 3-4.  The problem with that is that he need to trade down to get more picks in those rounds.  He was obsessed with dropping down to add later picks.  In this case, he should have been making moves to trade UP.  I know its easier said than done...and I'm sure they tried...but we have also seen that Dorsey is shrewd when it comes to trades, and he should have let go a little.   After the CB run in the first, I agree with the trade down, but I would have gone with Sterling Shepard.  Impact player and starter day 1 that will solidify the WR corps of Maclin, Conley, and Shepard moving forward.  At this point, I would have made an aggressive move to trade up in the 2nd round for Mackensie Alexander.  After the Jets grabbed Hackenberg, we could have called our good friend Pioli and moved up since the trade chatter died down after a QB went down. 

Another issue if have is that we still have Knile Davis...there were trade offers from multiple teams...we heard about them for a couple months...instead of taking something, Dorsey got stubborn, and when the Chargers took Bosa, the Cowboys got their guy and all the dominoes fell in terms of teams getting an acceptable RB.  Had Dorsey had just taken an offer on the table, the Chiefs would have had that extra pick to help move up and take one of the previously mentioned players, or at least to get another pick in the coveted 3-4th rounds he talked so much about...  Instead we have no immediate impact...

I watched Houston, a team similar to ours in terms of a "WIN NOW" mindset.  They have a good defense, but need to make some changes on offense.  They went out and got 2 starting quality WRs and a Center to help out against their week pass rush.  I know its one game, but I already have this vision of Braxton Miller putting his infamous spin move on KeiVarae Russell and us losing that game...while watching Houston improve while we stay stagnant in a division that was ripe for the taking 2 months ago.  Or maybe I'm just wrong and we are nowhere close to WIN NOW mode and Dorsey is sitting on things...

I have seen the grades people have put out, but nobody has really talked about it much on here, so I thought I would start.  This draft really let me down.  I know the NFL is business, and at the end of the day, I really do believe sometimes that the decisions made by management are to do just enough to keep fans buying tickets and merchandise, but not enough to actually WIN.  It may sound bad, but I don't feel like our team got any better.  I understand the need for depth, but without quality at the top, the depth means nothing, especially on the off chance that injuries are minimal.  I like the players...many are quality players, but too many of them are going to be depth/future contributors.  Many people on here felt like we are a couple positions away from having a serious contending team, and want to see the Chiefs in WIN NOW mode, while we still have DJ, Berry, Peters, Hali, Poe, Houston together locking down the defense and we know that window is closing.  Instead the Chiefs continue to build for the future.  The Royals did this, but then realized when the window to WIN NOW was.  Acquired Zobrist and Cueto and we all know what happened after that...

Anyway, my thoughts on the draft:

Round 2, pick 37:  Chris Jones - I like the kid, but at the end of the day we have Poe, and we have Howard and Bailey locked up for several years with good contracts.  I just don't see this guy getting the playing time you would expect from your first pick in the draft, and that disappoints me.  If you are worried about replacing POE, do it next year, not now. 

Round 2, pick 59:  KeiVarae Russell - I'm just not impressed with this kid.  With a 2nd round pick you should be getting a starter/major contributor in year one in most positions, and I think the only way this guy sees major action is if Gaines gets hurt again.  If Gaines stays healthy and shows what we all think he is capable, we just wasted a high pick.  With our Corner situation, we should have brought in a Veteran to fill the hole for a year if we couldn't get a starting caliber-ready player.  Instead we waited too long and ended up with a 3rd-Tier CB in the 2nd round

Round 4, Pick 105:  Parker Ehinger - Felt like we reached again because we couldn't get what we wanted.  Given that we let Allen walk, and released Grubbs and Fanaika, this guy has the best chance of contributing in year one, but only because of lack of competition and the injuries that come with the Oline...but I get it...he plays multiple positions and Dorsey can't resist...

Round 4, Pick 106:  Eric Murray - I get it, we only had 3 CBs under contract before the draft, so we need bodies. Unfortunately, with all these rookies, all I can see is a repeat of last year when Sean Smith was suspended and we threw CB after CB after CB and even a Safety into his spot and failed miserably.  For a team that should be in Win Now mode, he's just another body/filler to me 

Round 4, Pick 126:  Demarcus Robinson - I feel bad for all WRs drafted this year by KC.  Maclin is a stud, Conley is going to get first shot at the WR2 spot after showing what he had at the end of last year, and if either Streater or Mike Williams are anywhere close to what they were, the 3rd spot is locked up.  Then there is still Wilson, Dat, and camp favorite Fred Wiliams.  Guy will probably end up on the practice squad

Round 5, Pick 162:  Kevin Hogan - I'm actually okay with this pick.  Its the 5th round, we lost our backup QB, and you don't know what you have with Bray.  Add in that Reid likes to have 4 QBs at camp, this is a safe development pick that actually has a need in case Bray gets hurt again/isn't completely recovered.

Round 5, Pick 165:  Tyreek Hill - I'm not speaking on character on any draft picks, only assessing talent and pick.  I just want to say that as I didn't mention it for the others above that have had issues as well.  That said, this feels like a total insurance pick for KR/PR.  With  DAT seemingly in limbo and Knile Davis as good as gone, we have no REAL options for our returners, and if you have a guy like Toub as your Special teams guy, that just wasted coaching talent without the players to back him up.  I doubt this kid will every see real time at WR/RB and will be a special teams guy at best at any stage in his career.

Round 6, Pick 178:  D.J. White - Probably won't even make the team...i'll just leave it at that...

Round 6, Pick 203:  Dadi Nicolas - Practice Squad at best.  Guy needs to put on some serious weight to ever make an NFL team....seems like a wasted pick

So yeah....at the end of the day, in my eyes, we MIGHT have an upgrade from Bailey with Jones in year one.  At best we have a push with Ehinger at guard in year one.  We MIGHT have a slight upgrade at BACKUP CB with Russell, but still an overall considerable downgrade at the starting CB slot. 

We have a ton of POTENTIAL talent...but potential doesn't win championships.  This team did not get better from the draft this year, and when we start to see our leaders leave/decline here very shortly, our window is shrinking.  I feel like we just set ourselves up for 3-5 more years of 7-9 to 9-7 seasons with a wildcard game or two so the fans keep buying tickets.  Very disappointed...

You read my mind. Exactly. Continue to draft to replace. Ford etc. Needed top oline and reciever to win now. Got Bench Guys.

Which WR or O-line player could the Chiefs have drafted that would start this year?  Maybe Whitehair of Garnett and maybe the Chiefs could have traded UP to get a WR but that's speculation.  The strength in this draft was DT and the Chiefs got a talented one who's reputation for taking plays off knocked him down.  He may be another Ryan Sims but he also has a chance to be very good.

I disagree with much of this. To start with we didn't have multiple offers for knile davis. We had multiple silly season stories by reporters looking for content saying we SHOULD trade him, mostly to Miami. If Miami liked him he would be there now.

Also disagree with trading up. I and several others said before the draft that the strength of this draft was rounds 2 3 and 4 and we should trade down.

That means you can get the same caliber of guy at 35 as 18. And we did get the same caliber of player. It also meant there were a ton of similar players rated in the 2nd and third round. Enough that quite a few would be available in the 4th.

Now you can argue about the specific players picked but the overall strategy was smart.

This was such an up and down draft.

I thought Dorsey made some good picks, but the gameplan for the draft sucked.

The Chiefs already had some of the best depth in the AFC and needed to focus on getting a couple of good players to pencil in at starter at their major holes.

I don't think they accomplished that. Outside of Mr Domestic Violence and maybe Russell, I don't think they landed a single immediate starter.

This is more of a draft class fit for a 6-10 squad. I think this draft showed me that Dorsey is still more of a talent evaluator than a General Manager, but even that's still an upgrade from Polio.

This was such an up and down draft.

I thought Dorsey made some good picks, but the gameplan for the draft sucked.

The Chiefs already had some of the best depth in the AFC and needed to focus on getting a couple of good players to pencil in at starter at their major holes.

I don't think they accomplished that. Outside of Mr Domestic Violence and maybe Russell, I don't think they landed a single immediate starter.

This is more of a draft class fit for a 6-10 squad. I think this draft showed me that Dorsey is still more of a talent evaluator than a General Manager, but even that's still an upgrade from Polio.

exactly

I think they upgraded 3 position groups for this year with this draft. That's pretty good. Dline (yes he's that good), guard (wouldn't take much to upgrade) and corner. Keep in mind we often have been having to use safeties as extra corners and we could be playing a lot of nickel and dime.

Dorsey also upgraded RT and the WR group (I really like the streater pickup). Inside line group will also benefit from having Jah Reid available to compete at guard.

You know your position has to be wrong get when fanatic agrees with you. That can't feel good.

I

I can tell you right now, until Chris Jones learns to play much lower, he's going to be dominated by NFL lines.

Russell will need to track the ball a hell lot better and play with a little more smarts over aggression. His ability to not turn his head is Barteeish.

Parker fits the versatility role, and their moon math formula for workout numbers, but the tape shows a 7th rounder-UDFA type of player. They passed up better players.

Robinson is a workout warrior. I don't think he ever tried hard at Florida and being suspended 4 times is absurd.

I thought it was a very solid draft and would have give it a B if it wasn't for the Hill pick.  Knocked my grade down to a C-.

Jones was a good value pick and will be in the rotation from day one.  He has elite talent for the position and just needs coached up.  All of KC's lineman are high motor, hard working players who won't tolerate him "taking plays off." 

Disagree on Russell.  He is a little short, but has great ability and instincts and will start in this league, eventually.

Ehinger is just kind of blah, to me.  He could develop into a starting guard, but is average depth for now.

Murray will be a safety.  Does not have the ball skills to play corner.  Tough as nails, though.

Robinson has all the talent with the ball in his hands to make a lot of noise.  Can he stay off of the weed?

Hogan needs a lot of work.

Hill.  I've commented enough on what I think of this pick.

White could be the steal of our draft.  Has much more talent than his draft position.  He is all over the place and in on every play.  He might be a better safety.

Nicolas needs to get bigger, but is a great pass rusher.  Watch the Ohio State tape.

Robinson has either been off the weed or learned how to pass tests since his Freshman year. He just doesn't work hard.

I'd invite people to watch tape on Chris Jones. He's already at a disadvantage when he gets out of his stance.

Hogan needs his mechanics refined and spend some time in an NFL weight program. He should be a solid #2 QB.

Robinson has either been off the weed or learned how to pass tests since his Freshman year. He just doesn't work hard.

I'd invite people to watch tape on Chris Jones. He's already at a disadvantage when he gets out of his stance.

Hogan needs his mechanics refined and spend some time in an NFL weight program. He should be a solid #2 QB.

I watched all the cutups before the draft. He definitely needs some work but dude also has some skills that none of the dlinemen in this draft have. There were times he looked like a man amongst boys in the SEC. PFF metrics love him as well.

There's no doubt he needs to work on some consistentcy but if he puts it together watch out.

Robinson was suspended 4 times his Freshman year for weed then went to rehab. By all accounts his teammates loved him. The senior year 1 game suspension was for meeting with a marketer. Hell that's SOP in the SEC.

Yeah the potential ia very high with Jones, but I'm saying just don't be shocked if he looks invisible as a rookie and his flaws will be exploited by veteran linemen until he gets things worked out.

I think Robinson has only suspended 4 times over. 3 for the weed and once for the inappropriate contact.

Yeah the potential ia very high with Jones, but I'm saying just don't be shocked if he looks invisible as a rookie and his flaws will be exploited by veteran linemen until he gets things worked out.

I think Robinson has only suspended 4 times over. 3 for the weed and once for the inappropriate contact.

After 3 they should just stop counting.

I agree that Jones may not do much the first year but we don't really need him to start. Just to earn some minutes.

They sure don't. The DL is fairly stacked.

That's why I said this draft is up/down. If you're looking fot immediate contributors, you're gonna hate this class. If you like the potential down the road, this class could be great.

It just really depends with what you thought they needed. I actually said trading down could of been a good option if the picks didn't shake out, which they didn't, but I think Dorsey could of done better than a 4th and a pick swap.

Guest Cali

I thought it was a very solid draft and would have give it a B if it wasn't for the Hill pick. Knocked my grade down to a C-.

Jones was a good value pick and will be in the rotation from day one. He has elite talent for the position and just needs coached up. All of KC's lineman are high motor, hard working players who won't tolerate him "taking plays off."

Disagree on Russell. He is a little short, but has great ability and instincts and will start in this league, eventually.

Ehinger is just kind of blah, to me. He could develop into a starting guard, but is average depth for now.

Murray will be a safety. Does not have the ball skills to play corner. Tough as nails, though.

Robinson has all the talent with the ball in his hands to make a lot of noise. Can he stay off of the weed?

Hogan needs a lot of work.

Hill. I've commented enough on what I think of this pick.

White could be the steal of our draft. Has much more talent than his draft position. He is all over the place and in on every play. He might be a better safety.

Nicolas needs to get bigger, but is a great pass rusher. Watch the Ohio State tape.

https://twitter.com/chiefs/status/727562019788992513

I like the draft enough to give it a B. We were very thin at Dline especially losing Divito. I also like having a rook in rotation without having to rely on him to start the first year on D line. I would have liked the G.

Next pick makes sense. Gaines is a complete mystery. Unproven and coming off on knee injury. Behind that, nobody. Russel evaluations say lacking down field speed and handsy. Similar thing said about Peters. I will believe it when I see it, but he could start.

The T/G Ehinger seems to fit great as a back up across the line. But he starts at G. He may not be a quality starter at G right now, but neither are the guys he is competing against.

After that it's all roll of the dice. Hopefully a 4th round blows up at camp and wins a staring spot. Plus with injuries, I see 2-3 starters out of this group and some depth. So iffy to grade the draft before camp.

A generally weak draft all around for the NFL.  As they said, the best rounds for the value were 2-5, especially 3-4.  This was the year to grab lots of picks, mostly for adequate players who can be the "next man up" after an injury without hurting the team too much.  It was a depth year.  Last year, we had good depth, which is why our backups beat the crap out of other teams' backups in the pre-season games.  This draft will only reinforce the backup strength, and that was a good goal.  Though Hogan will be a good QB backup from day 1, he is made for Reid's offense and has the same kind of strengths Alex Smith does.  Many teams were very jealous we got him. That was a truly great pick. The loss of Daniels will not hurt, now.

First, Hogan may not work out at any level in the NFL. It is fact, no QB can be successful unless they can consistently throw at speeds exceeding 55 mph. There are some nice studies done by Benjamin Albright. He lists various attributes that determine the potential success of a QB. Among them hand size, height, and mph on their throws. These are but a few. There are many differing qualities where players may be measured. The ability to throw the ball in excess of 55 mph is the biggest determinant. There are no quarterbacks who have not had a strong enough arm to throw a pass more than 55 mph, who have had any success in the NFL. NONE. Hogan, has poor mechanics. Perhaps, the coaching staff will be able to patch that up, and get him to throw with more velocity. At this point, he isn't close. Hogan was a wasted pick. Smith, Murray, and Bray should be the three quarterbacks on the roster this fall.

Second, most prognosticators forecast the Chiefs would play it safe, because they lacked a third round pick. John Dorsey did not play it that way. There wasn't a safe pick among the 9 he procured. Each has serious flaws, and each has rather high potential (except for Hogan). Hogan was neither a safe pick, nor does he have potential. He was a mistake. The first pick is generally always expected to be a starter. Even if Chris Jones immerges from a cocoon, and metamorphosizes as a motorized, and dedicated player with the ability to lower his pads, he won't start. The best that could happen is for him to rotate with three others. He may get 25% of the defensive snaps, and that would be considered good.

The next guy, Russell, is a petite safety, who happens to play CB. He will be a back up to Gaines, but may actually be directed to change positions to S (although even that is not a clear path). He is probably going to do his best work on special teams. Russell has not issues with his motor. He does have an issue with taking the wrong path. Going down the wrong path twice as fast only gets you further from where you were supposed to be. He has to correct this or wide open receivers will be taking it to the house routinely. Sean Smith was a sure thing. He was the reason the Chiefs could take a risk on Peters. We may miss Sean Smith a lot more than we ever realized this year.

Parker Ehinger can play multiple positions on the offensive line. He can play none of them well enough to start in the NFL. He is big. He has some athleticism. He was picked far ahead of where anyone would have reasonably expected he would have gone in the draft. He is a project. Ehinger is not a starting G. He will not replace either Reid or LDT. I hope he is not called on heavily to play.

In nickel and dime packages, Eric Murray may become a better alternative than Marcus Cooper. Marcus Cooper has better upsides than Eric Murray. Murray has tight hips, and that means he will be limited in his coverage ability. He will never be able to transition fast enough to correct when a receiver changes directions. Gaines is the best at this on the team. Peters is fairly good. If Murray has to defend a nimble slot receiver, look for wide open spaces, and lots of YAC.

Demarcus Robinson could be the best receiver on the team. He is also the most likely to end his career in the dog house. He is a knuckle head by most accounts. Didn't we already go down that road? Maybe it will work this time. He hasn't developed as most thought he would in college. That is because he was suspended 4 times, and played very little as a result. He is raw.

The Chiefs would not take woman beater, Ray Rice, yet they are willing to take strangulation expert Tyreek Hill? Hill may be a physical freak, but are there no boundaries the Chiefs organization will not yield to when drafting a player? People say he takes full blame, and is working to be a better person. I heard him say he needs to change the people he hangs around. Who did he hang around, mass murderers, rapists, and pedophiles? Yes, the people you associate with need to be better. You need to be better too. I haven't yet heard that from Hill, but maybe it is forthcoming.

D J White could be the best corner back taken by the Chiefs in the draft. He should have gone higher. I had him as a fourth round pick. His potential is high. He didn't go high because he has a lot of faults. Although his top end speed seems adequate, his three cone, and 20 yard shuttle tell a story of a guy who lacks quickness. He can make up for this with his instincts, which are impressive. White is not a good tackler. He is too small to play safety. He should be a decent back up.

Finally, Dadi Nicholas is a project, who needs to learn football, and get stronger. He has some potential, but is very raw. As for being the last pick taken in the draft by the Chiefs, he is a pretty good pick. Usually these guys are toss away picks. He has a chance, but he has to go to the practice team, and develop. He won't help any time soon.

Dorsey didn't sell out to move up in order to get future QB Paxton Lynch, nor did he do enough to get #2 receiver Laquan Treadwell. Either would have been excellent moves. It could be that Dorsey did not have enough ammo in the chest after losing their third round pick. I can tell you Dorsey's offer for Lynch came in after the Broncos cemented the deal to move up. It was poorly time, and would not have been enough anyway. This is not speculation. This is fact. I know it to be true.

If Dorsey would have been able to get Treadwell, Paxton Lynch, or Josh Doctson, I would have been ecstatic. Depth is nice. However, a bunch of players, who probably won't be on the team in three or four years is not equal to one player who will be a difference maker. Give me one good pick over nine or ten below average guys.  

Archived