My overall impression of the Draft

Thanks, Eraser. I respect your knowledge.  He does have mechanical issues, and they can be worked on.  But he was a huge winner for three years at a program that plays against strong competition and used the pro offense, specifically West coast offense.  He is very brainy, makes quick reads, and has a knack for quickly finding the open receiver.  When flushed from the pocket, he throws well while moving to his side.  He is not a distance passer.  He is best at the short passing game, up to around 25 yards. He is actually a lot like Alex Smith and works on film obsessively in preparation. He is very coachable and diligent. Very smart. There were quite a few teams that wanted him badly.  Even Elway said he would have been able to make him into a fine starting QB, but Lynch was there ahead of him.  Getting velocity on the ball is a matter of throwing mechanics.  It can be fixed. Some have compared him to Tom Brady, who was just like that coming out of college. Wasn't he a sixth rounder?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Eraser. I respect your knowledge.  He does have mechanical issues, and they can be worked on.  But he was a huge winner for three years at a program that plays against strong competition and used the pro offense, specifically West coast offense.  He is very brainy, makes quick reads, and has a knack for quickly finding the open receiver.  When flushed from the pocket, he throws well while moving to his side.  He is not a distance passer.  He is best at the short passing game, up to around 25 yards. He is actually a lot like Alex Smith and works on film obsessively in preparation. He is very coachable and diligent. Very smart. There were quite a few teams that wanted him badly.  Even Elway said he would have been able to make him into a fine starting QB, but Lynch was there ahead of him.  Getting velocity on the ball is a matter of throwing mechanics.  It can be fixed. Some have compared him to Tom Brady, who was just like that coming out of college. Wasn't he a sixth rounder?

Tom Brady has a fast ball. This guy slow pitches. Maybe that will change with some work on his mechanics. He was a winner in college. That doesn't always transfer to the next level.

He has an awkward hitch that should easily be correctable. Saying picks are being wasted after the 4th round, on a draftable player, is a stretch.

The difference between a few mph on a pass equates to 3 feet. A player who cannot pass the ball with enough mustard cannot complete a pass in the NFL. It is that simple. It is more than a hitch. If that hitch is the reason for his less than 56 mph fastball, then there is hope. He still needs to get it fixed, which did not happen in HS or college. Will it happen in a preseason? Will it take one year before his passes can fit within a window? Will it require two years? More likely, it will never happen. 

Under Hogan's profile, "

WEAKNESSES

Mechanics and footwork are a mess. Throws with a very wide base, a pitcher's stride and a protracted delivery. Ball rarely comes out of his hands cleanly. Plays flat­-footed in the pocket with little bounce as he scans field and does a poor job of re­setting and coming to balance before delivery. Below-average arm strength and struggles to consistently make accurate, catchable throws to the field side. Average at reading defenses, preventing him from getting ball out on time. Needs much more poise and pocket awareness. Had issues climbing and sliding to clean areas of the pocket when they were there. Drops eyes and immediately panics when pressure is mounting in his face. Took sacks he had no business taking. Lacking desired touch and accuracy on his deep throws."

Tyler Palko threw like negative 10mph and completed a lot of passes in the NFL.

Tyler Palko is the exception. He will go to the Hall of Fame despite not being able to throw. Wait, Tyler Palko won't make it to the Hall. He won't be in the Chiefs' hall of fame. He played in 8 games over 4 years, and completed 84 passes for an average of 5.9 yards per attempt. I believe you helped state the case for players with weak arms not panning out in the NFL. Thank you very much. 

This was such an up and down draft.

I thought Dorsey made some good picks, but the gameplan for the draft sucked.

The Chiefs already had some of the best depth in the AFC and needed to focus on getting a couple of good players to pencil in at starter at their major holes.

I don't think they accomplished that. Outside of Mr Domestic Violence and maybe Russell, I don't think they landed a single immediate starter.

This is more of a draft class fit for a 6-10 squad. I think this draft showed me that Dorsey is still more of a talent evaluator than a General Manager, but even that's still an upgrade from Polio.

I think the main need was depth. The Chief's lost some players this offseason. Jeff Allen, Abdullah, Branch, Sean Smith, DeVito. Houston is out with an injury. WR was a clearly need after witnessing the Patriots game. And who is to say everyone will remain healthy this upcoming season? We need depth, and that's why they drafted 9 players. 

WR, DB, TE, OL, DL. We need depth at all of these positions. I believe they successfully accomplished this. Must account for future injuries

The dealing has not really ended yet.  Based on drafts, teams will now be comfortable making some trades.  We might get a good starter for a package of DAT and Knile Davis or something like that.  Teams may be dumping players who will be free agents next year in order to make playing time for a promising young player or draftee.  

I have a feeling that Dorsey is not done yet. He has always been pretty active in post draft trades.

I have to laugh at some of the post in here. The supposed experts from NFL.com gave the Chiefs an A for the draft yet the fans give them anywhere from an F to C.

Hmm I wonder who has more insight, the people who do this for a living and have inside sources or emotional fans.

Dorsey didn't play it safe. All others thought he would take it safe. Instead, it looks like he is betting with house money. It may turn out in favor of the Chiefs. Odds are against that happening, but if half these pick hit, then Dorsey will be seen as a genius.

The experts are not "experts" like many would think they are.  As we all know, most experts don't pay attention to every team equally.  Teams like KC get very little thought.  I just read a report from an EXPERT that gave the Chiefs a B+ for the 2012 draft....And the funny thing is that he down graded them for Poe and Allen, but upgraded them for the rest.  Stating Devon Wylie and DeQuan Menzie were two of his favorite picks for any team....how has all that worked out?

At the end of the day, the experts have very little to any more insight on the draft than we do.  We see this year after year.  Look at the 2013 draft class....  14 of the 32 players selected weren't optioned for a 5th year. 

I will maintain that in my opinion the chiefs did have a solid draft in terms of players drafted...I believe strongly that there will be several large contributors SOME DAY.  My concern still will be that my belief is that the Chiefs should be looking for High floor players in the early rounds that will be immediate impact players instead of low floor/high ceiling players that could be very good in the future.  Maybe a World Series win in KC has me expecting the Chiefs to make moves to pull their team from mediocrity and into the elite as well...

The experts are not "experts" like many would think they are.  As we all know, most experts don't pay attention to every team equally.  Teams like KC get very little thought.  I just read a report from an EXPERT that gave the Chiefs a B+ for the 2012 draft....And the funny thing is that he down graded them for Poe and Allen, but upgraded them for the rest.  Stating Devon Wylie and DeQuan Menzie were two of his favorite picks for any team....how has all that worked out?

At the end of the day, the experts have very little to any more insight on the draft than we do.  We see this year after year.  Look at the 2013 draft class....  14 of the 32 players selected weren't optioned for a 5th year. 

I will maintain that in my opinion the chiefs did have a solid draft in terms of players drafted...I believe strongly that there will be several large contributors SOME DAY.  My concern still will be that my belief is that the Chiefs should be looking for High floor players in the early rounds that will be immediate impact players instead of low floor/high ceiling players that could be very good in the future.  Maybe a World Series win in KC has me expecting the Chiefs to make moves to pull their team from mediocrity and into the elite as well...

Where can I find a "thumbs up" emoticon that will work on this forum.? I'd put two of them here.  

I would say, though, that our new DB could very well be that high floor guy who will have an impact as a rotational player from day 1. Last year, our first rounder started immediately and was a star, and our second rounder was, too.

Where can I find a "thumbs up" emoticon that will work on this forum.? I'd put two of them here.  

I would say, though, that our new DB could very well be that high floor guy who will have an impact as a rotational player from day 1. Last year, our first rounder started immediately and was a star, and our second rounder was, too.

Last year's draft could be a very productive one.  Aside from Peters and Morse, they still expect good things from Conley, O'Shaughnesy, and maybe Ramik Wilson.  I don't see Nelson in future plans since the Chiefs drafted three DBs this year.  I was a little disappointed in this year's draft but it wasn't all the Chiefs' fault.  Several times, players that I hoped they would get went just before the Chiefs picked.  The Bengals messed up the first round so Jones may have been the best alternative.  After that, they had to cover CB and interior line.  What left me scratching my head was passing on Brothers and a highly rated OG on the third day.  I see no use for a weak armed QB or three DBs.  By the time they picked a skinny OLB there wasn't much to choose from.  I'd give them a B-

I have to laugh at some of the post in here. The supposed experts from NFL.com gave the Chiefs an A for the draft yet the fans give them anywhere from an F to C.

Hmm I wonder who has more insight, the people who do this for a living and have inside sources or emotional fans.

Wow, people have different opinions??? O.O

I thought it was a weak class overall. Not as weak as 2013 but, not far behind. Offense was really weak in this draft so I get why they took some chances late. For the first time Dorsey didn't draft BPA. He drafted for need. 

Chris Jones, DT, Miss. St. - I like the pick. He wasn't my first choice but I do see the upside and we need a fourth man in the d-line rotation. He's big, tough, and mean so I'm sure I'll like him.

Keivarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame - Didn't know much about him but, I like the pick. He looks like a nickel back but, might be able to play outside if some one gets hurt. He won't push Gaines and Parker will be the back up outside imo. Will be a good special teamer.

Parker Ehinger, OT, CincinnatiDidn't know much about him but, I like the pick. Like Jones he's big, mean, and tough. I haven't seen much of him but I like nasty violent linemen.

Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota - Another tough guy. I really like this pick. He tackles well enough to play safety or corner. He is good in press coverage. He's another guy that could compete for the nickel back role or the third safety role. Will be a good special teamer.

Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida - He runs good routes and is fast but, body catches everything. He made some very big plays in big games at Florida. He's a dumbass. However, his cousin Koran Robinson (Former Seahawk) is mentoring him so maybe he'll get it together. He's a wild card but I like the pick. He was a bargain where we got him.

Kevin Hogan, QB, StanfordI like him. He's a solid game manager who knows how to win. I doubt he's full time starting material but we need a back up who can win. I like drafting QBs regularly. Good pick...

Tyreek Hill, RB, Western Alabama - We've beaten this to death but, I like the pick. I will leave it at that.

DJ White, CB, Georgia Tech - This is my favorite pick. He is built to play nickel back. He is scrappy and tough. We got great value in this guy. He could have gone as high as the 3rd round imo. I will not be surprised if he wins the nickel CB job.

Dadi Nicholas, LB, Virginia Tech - Another tough guy with a mean streak. He never quits or slows down. He could be a great special teamer. 

All in all I give this draft a C+. The talent isn't great but I do admire the toughness and nastiness that this class will bring overall. 

Last year's draft could be a very productive one.  Aside from Peters and Morse, they still expect good things from Conley, O'Shaughnesy, and maybe Ramik Wilson.  I don't see Nelson in future plans since the Chiefs drafted three DBs this year.  I was a little disappointed in this year's draft but it wasn't all the Chiefs' fault.  Several times, players that I hoped they would get went just before the Chiefs picked.  The Bengals messed up the first round so Jones may have been the best alternative.  After that, they had to cover CB and interior line.  What left me scratching my head was passing on Brothers and a highly rated OG on the third day.  I see no use for a weak armed QB or three DBs.  By the time they picked a skinny OLB there wasn't much to choose from.  I'd give them a B-

I like Hogan and think his delivery can be fixed. You are right.  Conley has huge upside and might emerge as a star, maybe even this year.  I love the way Ramik Wilson plays.  When he was in there, he was all over the place, shooting gaps and catching runners behind the line of scrimmage.  I just wish he were a little bigger.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

Reports are that the Chiefs were trying to trade their 28th pick to Dallas, who wanted to get Lynch. We called Dallas and offered them the 28th for their second and third rounder. I trust this report more than the agent for Lynch, though I would never go to Peter King for predictions.

I like Hogan and think his delivery can be fixed. You are right.  Conley has huge upside and might emerge as a star, maybe even this year.  I love the way Ramik Wilson plays.  When he was in there, he was all over the place, shooting gaps and catching runners behind the line of scrimmage.  I just wish he were a little bigger.

Actually, I wish Ramik was faster.  His instincts make up for some lack of speed but there's no substitute for raw speed.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see about Hogan.  Given that he's a winner and maybe his arm can be upgraded with coaching, but college coaches aren't stupid and if better technique put more zip on the ball, why didn't they teach it?  I don't see Hogan beating out Murray for the backup and the Chiefs will have to keep Hogan on the roster to keep other teams from grabbing him off the practice squad.  So he holds the clipboard until next season when Dorsey drafts another QB in the fifth or sixth round.  I don't see him as the QBOTF.

give bray and murray a shit ton of passing plays in the preseason..and see what you got..if they've improved enough ir Hogan and trade one of the two for a 6th or better..andys done it before..

but seriously if the chiefs really do this again wonder if the nfl comes after them..enough is enough..

Bray has no value. He was undrafted, played no snaps and had knee surgery last year. I think he is gone barring a crazy good camp. Funny thing is he threw some crazy good passes in a tight window in TN and has a crazy strong arm. But... I think he lost too mych ground blowing his knee out playing pick up basketball.

Archived