My overall impression of the Draft

Remember an Oklahoma U. player named Marcus DuPree?  His IQ and speaking skills make Hill sound like Winston Churchill.  It also reminds me of a Cal. player (Chuck Muncie?) who played four years in college without ever entering a classroom.   Don't have to have no smarts to play ball.

Not in college.  In the NFL you have to have at least some smarts to be coachable. DuPree's moves, speed, and hands were natural.  And even that didn't get him any real success in the NFL.  How many people in the NFL succeed who are dumb as dirt. You have to speak at least as well as Forrest Gump.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That, like Crow's, is a great summary.  I feel better about Hogan, but that is about it.  Besides the emotional issues, Hill amazes me by his language skills.  How can anyone be in college and not be able to put any kind of grammar together?  All of his brains went into his legs and feet.  Fruit fly is a good longevity prognosis.

I agree with your assessment of Robinson.  Weed and football do not mix.  It makes a person less driven and passionate.  It takes the edge off.  Makes a person too mellow....like Dwayne Bowe.  And it hangs around for days. Slows reflexes a tiny bit and would make a receiver drop a few more catchable passes than if it were not in the system.  It isn't metabolized quickly like alcohol. Even after days, some of it is still there in the system, affecting mental passion, drive, and motivation. It also means that there is less of a mental barrier to abuse of other things. It does decrease pain about like a couple of aspirin.  That is good for all the bumps, bruises, and aches of football. But overall, it is a huge negative.

Yeah, that stoner Houston has been just horrible.

Weed is much safer than alcohol and I would rather these kids were doing that, if they have to have a vice.

It is best to do both at the same time imo. 

Exactly.  By the way, SEMO.  I'm not disputing anything you posted about weed vs. alcohol.  I am only saying that weed has a longer half-life in the body and also takes the edge off aggression and obsessive motivation that football players depend on.  My comments were only in the context of playing NFL football.

Plus, in my limited reading, Russell has had weed detected more than once.  This indicates a more chronic usage.

Exactly. By the way, SEMO. I'm not disputing anything you posted about weed vs. alcohol. I am only saying that weed has a longer half-life in the body and also takes the edge off aggression and obsessive motivation that football players depend on. My comments were only in the context of playing NFL football.

Plus, in my limited reading, Russell has had weed detected more than once. This indicates a more chronic usage.

Keep reading. It was all in his Freshman year.

Don't think I agree with your assessments on weed at all. I know some people with cancer who would disagree with you equating its pain relief to aspirin.

I also don't think the rest of your assessment is correct. Lots of high performance people and athletes who admit to smoking weed. Not sure where you're getting that. It's like saying you can't drink and hold down a job when millions do it.

No intoxicant is without negative effects when it comes to playing a sport at a professional level.  One with a long half-life is much more likely to still be on board by game time.  

BTW, the analgesic effect of THC is not very much. It just makes pain seem  little funnier.  :lol:

Cannabis oil's anti-seizure properties are proven and kids who have suffered for years are now leading fairly normal lives because of it.

Yes.  It is highly effective for many types of seizures.  The thing is that the most active form for seizures and other medical conditions are the cannabidiols, which don't make you high.  The cannabinols do. Some of them are metabolized in the body into cannabidiols. But pharmaceutical cannabidiols will probably be marketed soon for many indications.  Unfortunately they won't produce the "recreational" effects. 

Hill, Robinson, Russell...

All of these guys could be the next Marcus Peters.....

They have that level of Talent.

This could be a draft of the ages...

It could easily be another Disaster.

The Keys are Health ( Russell) and Staying Professional ( Robinson and Hill)

Jones will be a good player no matter.

w

I like the Jones pick but somewhere in the recess of my mind is the Ryan Sims pick.  Jones has the reputation of slacking off on some plays and hopefully his joy at the opportunity will overcome that.  But like many said about Hill, players tend to revert to base character in many cases.  If Jones is the monster he could be, then this draft could be very good.

I like the Jones pick but somewhere in the recess of my mind is the Ryan Sims pick.  Jones has the reputation of slacking off on some plays and hopefully his joy at the opportunity will overcome that.  But like many said about Hill, players tend to revert to base character in many cases.  If Jones is the monster he could be, then this draft could be very good.

Immaturity.  Like I have said before, the other lineman won't tolerate any slacking off.  All high motor guys.  Hali will be in his ear also.  Count on it.

Immaturity.  Like I have said before, the other lineman won't tolerate any slacking off.  All high motor guys.  Hali will be in his ear also.  Count on it.

Agree. 

Totally different roster than the Simms days.

I don't believe that shit will be tolerated.

Couldn't agree more.  He seems a bit too smiley and free-spirited and too interested in BBQ to be the kind of obsessive and aggressive guy that DT's need to be.  I am concerned his great potential will disappear slowly in a plate of burnt ends, both on the plate and on the field.

I will say that I would have preferred Vernon Butler considerably more.  But, I will give Jones a significant amount of chances to succeed.  It might take a year of two to reach his potential.  It took Bailey a while, and Poe was not an instant success either.

I think we may be reading too much into Jones wanting to sample BBQ n KC.

No, we're not.  My proof is sitting here at the computer posting on this board -  I love barbecue, and I could never play D-line. So it is only logical that love of BBQ and not being able to play defensive end are highly correlated in my case. 

In fact, I would bet that every member of this forum who loves barbecue cannot play defensive line worth a shit.  So I have the numbers to back me up.

Archived