Chiefs Cut Wilson and Gordon

Chiefs cut safety Wilson, linebacker Gordon to create space

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Chiefs waived safety Jimmy Wilson and linebacker Cameron Gordon on Tuesday as they massaged their roster following the NFL draft and the signing of undrafted free agents.

Kansas City selected three defensive backs and a linebacker during last weekend's draft.

Wilson signed a $4.85 million, two-year contract with San Diego last year, but was cut in December after making just six starts. He was signed by Kansas City this offseason to provide depth at safety following the surprising retirement of Husain Abdullah.

Gordon signed a futures contract with the Chiefs in January. He entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Patriots two years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/05/03/chiefs-cut-safety-wilson-linebacker-gordon-to-create-space/83891336/

Does that indicate that at least one of the DBs selected in the draft is targeted as safety?

I think so. I noticed White is listed as a CB and Murray and Russell are listed as DBs on the roster. Those safeties we signed were just Dorsey panicking after Abdullah retired. I think Brown will be cut soon too. We use a lot of three safety sets in our nickel package. 

Now we have some cap space. Seriously though, Franky Hammond also may not make it to camp. He has had a lot of opportunity and did little with it.

A lot of people here were up on Hammond until he developed a problem handling punt return duties. I always saw him as an athlete, but not a football player, and definitely not a wide receiver. Better to put an extra big body on the field to help block rather than waste reads from a collapsing pocket on a receiver that couldn't get open running the assigned route. Hammond's probably already played in his last regular-season NFL game. It says bad things about your depth at a position when your team was the last to roster a player that didn't voluntarily retire.

Archived