AFC West Predictions

1. Kansas City Chiefs: 12-4 2. San Diego Chargers: 8-8 3. Denver Broncos: 7-9 4. Oakland Raiders: 6-10

From Football Outsiders. I agree with the prediction for the Chiefs, but Denver and the Raiders with losing seasons? Raiders finishing last? I was pretty shocked by this. I don't see anyway the Chargers aren't in the cellar of the division.

The Raiders may, even with all that talent, still be the Raiders, but with the secondary help they got I can't see them not getting 9 wins.

The Broncos (as long as they don't get Fitz or other decent starting QB, are in for a long season. Sanchez is pretty bad. Bradford would be an upgrade over him and the rook does not sound ready.

I guess the Raiders prediction is what seems like lunacy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this on ESPN DH, thanks for posting it.

I kinda see Oakland and San Diego at 8-8 maybe 9-7.

I also see Denver having a tough year.....No QB.

I see KC at 11-5 or 12-4....I am very optimistic.

Successful Year is Getting to the Super Bowl.

w

Missing Sean Smith and Abdullah's sudden retirement are going to hurt us.  If Gaines doesn't step up it is very possible that Peters will start on one side and a rookie on the other side.   Hopeful that Ramik Wilson steps up as the other ILB. Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali are amazing players but when your skills start to decline in the NFL they decline in a hurry.  Will Charles return to form after missing most of last season?   Another big question mark is what is up with Houston.  He could miss significant playing time. I think Streeter is an improvement over Wilson.   I see DAT being gone.  I think Schwartz is an improvement.  But we still got that same left guard problem. 

9 and 7.  Second in the division behind  (fill in the blank...I don't know but I fear it could be the Raiders)

The inevitable thread where 90% of the commenters predict the Chiefs win the division and the Broncos demise only to be proven fantastically wrong by the coming midseason of NFL football.

Broncos 11-5

Chiefs 10-6

Chargers 5-11

Raiders 5-11

San Diego has no line, no WRs, no RB, no chance.  The Raiders are the Raiders.  The Chiefs can't seem to follow up on success.  The Broncos still have an elite defense and won the Super Bowl last season with very mediocre to poor QB play.

My bad, I just saw that Manning is coming back for another year.  Err, no the #2 QB is taking over....Err, no...Its Matt Sanchez.  He is the natural guy I would chose.

Come on BS, you guys are going to have a very tough time getting to 8-8.

w

Did the Chargers upgrade that line? I was really surprised that their first round RB was so unproductive. They were hurting at WR also.

Do you not follow football......like, at all?  Getting their starters back, healthy, is a huge upgrade.  Now it remains to be see how long it'll be before King Dunlap scrambles his brains again.

Dee Ford was abusing their like 4th string LT and we still barely won the last match up.  They were hurting at WR for the same reason.  Benjamin and a healthy Keenan Allen will be a pretty good duo.  Now yeah, Melvin Gordon sucked and idk if they have anyone worth a shit at RB.

Oakland plays KC tough, even when they were shit.  They've got talent now. 

This is going to be a tight race to Week 17.

The inevitable thread where 90% of the commenters predict the Chiefs win the division and the Broncos demise only to be proven fantastically wrong by the coming midseason of NFL football.

Broncos 11-5

Chiefs 10-6

Chargers 5-11

Raiders 5-11

San Diego has no line, no WRs, no RB, no chance.  The Raiders are the Raiders.  The Chiefs can't seem to follow up on success.  The Broncos still have an elite defense and won the Super Bowl last season with very mediocre to poor QB play.

The Raiders are MUCH better than your calculation.  MUCH better, I'm sorry to say. I would guess at least 9 wins. I don't have any major argument with the rest of it.  I predict 11-5 for the Chiefs.  Remember, they have one of the easier schedules.  I'm not sure the Broncs can win 11.  60% chance the Chiefs win the division.

My bad, I just saw that Manning is coming back for another year.  Err, no the #2 QB is taking over....Err, no...Its Matt Sanchez.  He is the natural guy I would chose.

Come on BS, you guys are going to have a very tough time getting to 8-8.

w

You're forgetting how good the Broncos defense is.

The Broncos will take a bit of a step back on D.  They lost some good players.  Sanchez will be a step down from Manning and Brock; yes Peyton was old and tired but he could still read a D and direct his guys well.

I think there's enough talent still on that roster to keep them around .500.  When Von Miller leaves and Ware falls off a cliff, all bets are off.

San Diego will be more productive on Offense, but I don't think there's enough on D to pass-rush well or cover long enough for the rush to make it in. 

The Chiefs will need to get a fast start to run this show, and that troubles me some as Andy Reid squads typically start out with a sputter.

Do you have to be a dick...like all the time?

"Deep philosophical questions are best pondered late at night, not early in the morning".

- Bilyous

:lol:

At this point I think it will be a very tight division. Here's my early prediction.

1. Kansas City (10-6)

The Chiefs have to be the odds-on favorite with Denver losing both QB's in a single off-season. Kansas City hasn't lost anyone of importance with the exception of Houston's injury/surgery ordeal.

2. Denver (9-7)

Much like Houston a year ago, they are going to win games based on that defense and running game alone (don't sleep on them drafting Devontae Booker). There will be some growing pains with QBs learning a new team and offense. Mark Sanchez has made the playoffs with a similarly talented Jets defense.

3. Oakland (8-8)

Oakland's defense should be much improved and adding Keleche Osemele to their offensive line didn't hurt. This team will stick around and be a tough out.

4. San Diego (6-10)

San Diego's offensive line wasn't all that good before injuries so there remains concern there. Alot of youth could be starting on a defense that was pretty bad to start out with. While they still have Rivers on offense, I think that defense remains a problem area in 2016.

KC beats Denver by one game for the division. Raiders are cellar dwellers because... raiders.

I think Sanchez is not as bad as people make him out to be. He's serviceable. As long as he doesn't lose games for them they'll be in a lot of games.

I see it like this...

Chiefs 10-6

Broncos 9-7

Raiders 8-8

Chargers 6-10

Chiefs - Our window is closing and I fear we take a slight step back this year. We lost a lot of talent and depth. Maybe we'll win a playoff game but, it's an even year. We don't usually go to the playoffs on even years so 10-6 and winning the west is a success. 

Broncos - Their QB situation wasn't great last year and they won the Super Bowl. This team still has a ton of talent. We just barely squeak by them and win the division. 

Raiders - This team is a fast riser. However, they are relying on too many free agents imo and that can be dangerous. I still think they are another year away from being a real threat to KC.

Chargers - They have no depth. They lost their leader on defense. Their o-line is bleh. Gates is old and Gordon looks like a bust. They just aren't going in the right direction imo. They haven't drafted very well lately.

Why is the Chiefs window closing?  DJ and Hali may be slowing, but Dorsey has a tendency to draft replacement players before they are needed to start.  Poe and Berry may be too expensive, but every team has that problem if they have much talent on their roster.  The Chiefs showed last season that they could win without Charles.  Guess my point is that the Chiefs are prepping to avoid the dark years and with a little good fortune, could be contenders all along.

Why is the Chiefs window closing?  DJ and Hali may be slowing, but Dorsey has a tendency to draft replacement players before they are needed to start.  Poe and Berry may be too expensive, but every team has that problem if they have much talent on their roster.  The Chiefs showed last season that they could win without Charles.  Guess my point is that the Chiefs are prepping to avoid the dark years and with a little good fortune, could be contenders all along.

I agree.  Looking back, it seems that the teams that have long years of being weak are teams that hold onto their few stars too long and find suddenly that those guys start playing poorly and no longer have value in trades for draft choices or other compensation, or they simply become too expensive.  So, they look to sign older free agents with one or two  good years left to replace them.   That guarantees mediocrity. That also tends to be the teams without great coaching staffs, so they need players who are already coached up and ready to play.

This makes me think that Jamaal Charles is on the bubble.  I am guessing, though, that Dorsey would rather see if he is exceptional for one more year and then trick some team that is desperate for a top running back to make a deal with.

Archived