AFC West Predictions

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the Chiefs window closing?  DJ and Hali may be slowing, but Dorsey has a tendency to draft replacement players before they are needed to start.  Poe and Berry may be too expensive, but every team has that problem if they have much talent on their roster.  The Chiefs showed last season that they could win without Charles.  Guess my point is that the Chiefs are prepping to avoid the dark years and with a little good fortune, could be contenders all along.

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

We have no back up guards

We have only one legit safety

Do we have a starting LG?

We are getting thin on big press corners. 

We have unproven back up QBs and Alex is due to get hurt

That's about it off the top of my head. This team will be different.

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

And, of course, don't forget that we are the only team with problems.  All of our rivals are sound at every position and very deep.  Plus, all of them stay the same every year.

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

I mentioned DJ and Hali.  Dorsey tried to address Hali's position with Ford.  I was disappointed that they didn't draft another ILB this year but there was none available that would come close to DJ.  Dorsey did address the O-line via FA and a third round pick.  He drafted three DBs and signed another as an undrafted FA.  Several WRs were added to complement Maclin and Kelce.  Very few teams won't have a big drop off if their starting QB goes down.  I'm not saying the Chiefs are without obvious problems, but do think the window is open for as long as the staff grabs good backups and drafts replacements for today's starters.

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

Teams are different every year in today's nfl. Not sure what your point is. The Broncos are replacing 7 starters from last year. Every team has holes and flaws.

You can't be strong and deep at every position, you have to prioritize.

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

I think we have a lot more young talent than we did 2 or 3 years ago. DJ and Charles are beasts and will be big losses, but Hali will not be a crushing loss.

I like our line now better than 2 years ago. Much younger at G and C. Better, but not younger at T. We are younger at most position groups. I just don't see a closing window. I see us getting better over the next few years.

Guest Tomahawkchop

Every year you guys proclaim the Raiders are back... Every year you are wrong. They suck. Same old Faiders.

They beat Denver in Denver in 2015. The Raiders got significantly better in the offseason and the Broncos got weaker. I'm not predicting a Raiders division win, but I believe the Broncos drop to 2nd or 3rd in the AFF West. No playoffs for you.

Guest Cali

DJ is old

Hali is old

We have no back up LT

Ron Parker is a helluva safety. We have 2

Ron Parker is a helluva safety. We have 2

Yes. Parker is the best safety remaining on the roster. I love Berry but he is a tweeter. His game reminds me as much of a LB as it does a pure safety. He just can't cover the deep ball.

The Raiders do suck...After AL suckered their fans into PSL's and the team came back to Oakland...He failed to get a new stadium built, then died...

His son is now planning to move them to Vegas.

I see them as 8-8 best case.

w

The Raiders do suck...After AL suckered their fans into PSL's and the team came back to Oakland...He failed to get a new stadium built, then died...

His son is now planning to move them to Vegas.

I see them as 8-8 best case.

w

West, their fans have been beaten to a pulp (I love it).  But the guys on the field play the game, and sometimes these kinds of things give them an attitude.  They have a lot of talent.  I think they are a little better than 8-8.

Bil,

I agree with you.  I like their coach.

But they have to prove it on the field.

As Bronco Stud said, until they prove it with the "W's", they are still the Raiders.

I'm pushing all my positive vibes towards the Chiefs.

We are WAY past due.

w

The Chiefs are strong, but like any strong team, there are thin areas, and a couple of key injuries there could put us back in the middle of the pack.  Hope not, but possible.  One overlooked area of disruption of chemistry or degradation would be the new absence of Doug Pederson.  Will the new guys really be just as good at coordinating and teaching?  Will Andy Reid still make that disruption moot because he still calls the plays?  This is the line we were fed some months ago. No one has seriously challenged it or spoken much about it since. There seems almost to be a "conspiracy of silence" about this.  But for me, it is one of the bigger questions I have.

"Past due" means nothing, West.  A coin flip can come up tails 5 straight times, but the chances on the next flip are still 50-50.

On another point, if the Raiders are moved to Vegas, they will have to change their logo and uniforms as well as name.  The desert is certainly no seaport or historical hangout of pirates.  In Vegas they will have to be renamed something like "The Las Vegas CardSharks" or something similar.  Right?  The truly great thing is that in the long view of history, the Chiefs will have defeated them.  The Chiefs will still be standing.  The "Raiders" will be only the distant memory of still angry old men...like me.

Teams are different every year in today's nfl. Not sure what your point is. The Broncos are replacing 7 starters from last year. Every team has holes and flaws.

You can't be strong and deep at every position, you have to prioritize.

My point is that depth wins super bowls and I don't think we are as deep as we've been the last two years. We are significantly different this year when you look at the entire 53. 

Luck IS the basis of good fortune.   You guys love to think you are the captain of your ship and the master of your fate.   Noble sentiments.  Just not true.  The Las Vegas gamblers has a nice ring to it for a new Raiders name.  BUT wasn't that the name of an old WFL or USFL team when Las Vegas had a team before? 

There's way too much pessimism here. Every position group for the Chiefs is better this May than it was in May of 2015. A healthy team after Organized Team Activities and Training Camp would help out.

Assuming the Chiefs go into September without catastrophic injuries, they will go 12-4 in 2016.

With Brady's Patriots set to run with Jimmy Garoppolo for the first four games of the season, 12-4 might be enough to win the AFC. Given the parity in the AFC and the Chiefs' slight tick above the field when it comes to talent and coaching, missing out on a post-season bye week would be a disappointment. Missing out on a post-season berth altogether would be an upset. The Chiefs are facing a sub-.500 strength of schedule (.496, the 16th-most difficult in the league), with only five games played against opponents that were in the playoffs in 2015 (interestingly, they play against each of their four opponents on the road, with the fifth game being the home game against the Broncos), and their record against those teams last year was 4-1 (including a very close loss to the Broncos; they didn't play against the Panthers).

The offensive line isn't perfect, the receiver corps isn't perfect, and the secondary isn't perfect, but all three of those position groups meet the minimum quality threshold where the coordinators can scheme around the more vulnerable areas. We're not looking at the receiver corps of 2013 (Dwayne Bowe and Donnie Avery vs. Jeremy Maclin and Travis Kelce), or the 2014's front-seven (James Michael-Johnson and an inexperienced Jaye Howard vs. Derrick Johnson and Jaye Howard with experience) or offensive line (Mike McGlynn and Ryan Harris vs. Jah Reid and Mitchell Schwartz). This team is the best that Andy Reid has had to work with, Sean Smith will prove to have been slightly overrated, and veteran leadership and savvy will help this time win the sort of games they lost in 2015.

The AFC is likely to shake out to something like this:

1. Chiefs

2. Patriots

3. Steelers

4. Colts

5. Bengals

6. Texans

7. Broncos

8. Jets

9.-16. Who cares?

My point is that depth wins super bowls and I don't think we are as deep as we've been the last two years. We are significantly different this year when you look at the entire 53. 

The secondary is where my worries lie.  Especially at safety.  Losing Branch and Abdullah hurts a lot.  Corner is thin, and all depends on what kind of a player Gaines can be, and if he can stay healthy.  I think Russel will be the eventual starter, probably in year two on the outside.  Gaines taking over the slot.

Archived