• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be season we all talk about for a long time....

Andy Reid has had time, John Dorsey has had time...

Alex Smith....DJ....Berry....Tamba...MacLin...

They are on the clock..

We need to go to the Super Bowl if our core can stay healthy.

w

The Chiefs are going all in this year when they retained most of their players this off season. It's not that different from what Denver did the last few years. They are right up against the cap and are drafting based on playmaking ability and less on character. Make no mistake they really must think they have a chance to be champions this year or they wouldn't have made the moves they made.

The window only stays open a short time. Skills erode quickly. Next year we MUST address the back up QB situation. We only have Tamba and DJ and Jamal a short time. OLine is better. Pass defense is my main concern

The window stays open for a short for the individual players, but the franchise, if properly managed can prop the window open for a long time as discussed in another thread.  As to the original post, some of us are already pumped just over reading about the rookie camp last weekend.  Hope Berry shows up for OTAs.

Alex Smith's health is more important that Justin Houston's health. We have no proven backup.

Obviously, but we have no reason to think Smith won't be playing all season.  Houston is another matter.  As the playoff game against the Pats showed, he is key in close games.

Guest Okiechief1

Chase was really no more proven than Murray is right now. In his time with Philly Andy primarily drafted and devolped guys. Outside of Vick the other vets he signed were 1 year deals. If Murray shows anything this preseason he will be the primary bu for the next few years, if he isn't dealt.

It's funny how Smith came through this past season, and yet somehow Justin Seven-and-a-Half Sacks Houston continues to be considered the most important player on this team.

I remember when Jamaal Charles used to be the most important Kansas City player, too.

5-0 in 2015 without Houston or Charles active. Unimportant. Makes perfect sense.

It's the same freakin' people here that continue to be entrenched in their negative opinions about Smith: He can't be the reason the Chiefs win because he can't be the reason the Chiefs win. That is the beginning and the end of their logic. No one has to care about the Chargers fan's opinion, but what's with the rest of these? I don't get it.

Too many fans associate a certain 'look' with elite quarterbacking. Tamba Hali called you folks "disrespectful".

It's funny how Smith came through this past season, and yet somehow Justin Seven-and-a-Half Sacks Houston continues to be considered the most important player on this team.

I remember when Jamaal Charles used to be the most important Kansas City player, too.

5-0 in 2015 without Houston or Charles active. Unimportant. Makes perfect sense.

It's the same freakin' people here that continue to be entrenched in their negative opinions about Smith: He can't be the reason the Chiefs win because he can't be the reason the Chiefs win. That is the beginning and the end of their logic. No one has to care about the Chargers fan's opinion, but what's with the rest of these? I don't get it.

Too many fans associate a certain 'look' with elite quarterbacking. Tamba Hali called you folks "disrespectful".

Crying-baby-013.jpg

Never overlook any position. Who was more important to Denver last year, Manning or Miller? Who was more important to Seattle in their SB win season, Wilson or Lynch or even the legion of boom?

To me there is not one position on the team that can't blow a play and lose the game, thus every position is important.

Never overlook any position. Who was more important to Denver last year, Manning or Miller? Who was more important to Seattle in their SB win season, Wilson or Lynch or even the legion of boom?

To me there is not one position on the team that can't blow a play and lose the game, thus every position is important.

Manning.

I'll stand by that to the very end.

I'll turn this around: Who was most critical to the Panthers' loss?

Newton. Period.

There are great teams whose quarterback will lose the game for them. There are great teams whose quarterback will give them the extra edge that is needed. Manning did everything that was needed from his position to manage a physical game against one of the league's best defenses. Peyton Manning outplayed Cam Newton. You can call it clutch, you can call it all sorts of other stuff that doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

As for the last part that makes it seem like all position groups are equally important, all I have to say is that cornerbacks, linebackers, runningbacks, right guards, or other players that can make an error significant enough to be the primary cause for a seven-point swing can be taken out of the game, and can be replaced mid-season if the need exists. You can't just replace a quarterback. Once you account for Peyton Manning's injuries in his mid-2015 collapse, you can see that Brock Osweiler was vastly inferior to AARP Peyton Manning. Cam Newton couldn't manage the sort of game that he needed to for his team to win.

Finally, since you brought up the Seahawks, Russell Wilson was more important to the Seahawks (in a positive way) than Marshawn Lynch was in 2014. If Ricardo Lockett had been where he was supposed to be on the deciding play of Super Bowl XLIX, he wouldn't have been blown up by Malcolm Butler, would have likely caught the pass, and the Seahawks would have gone on to repeat as league champions. (Wilson does bear some burden of blame on that play, but it was Lockett that didn't execute the play crisply and didn't react properly to Butler.) There's a reason mediocre quarterbacks get paid more than the very best runningbacks.

No one would question that the QB is the most important player and has most control over success or failure.  But all thing being normal, the Chiefs will miss Houston, especially with a new player at RCB.  The Chiefs lost to NE in the playoffs because Houston and Maclin were out or not effective.

My point is that Justin Houston as a premier pass rusher is required for KC to get to the next level.

Everyone here knows that I have been a huge supporter of Alex Smith since the trade was made.

Alex is going to have a stellar season for the Chiefs to be successful.

However,  we need Justin Houston to be healthy to get to the Super Bowl ....IMO.

w

No one would question that the QB is the most important player and has most control over success or failure.  But all thing being normal, the Chiefs will miss Houston, especially with a new player at RCB.  The Chiefs lost to NE in the playoffs because Houston and Maclin were out or not effective.

Really, not having Maclin was the reason that the Chiefs out-possessed the Patriots by more than 5:3 and still lost. Not being able to punch the ball into the endzone was death. They needed a player that could turn a field goal into a touchdown, and that player was sidelined.

If I could do it over again and pick one of the two, it would definitely be Maclin.

Really, not having Maclin was the reason that the Chiefs out-possessed the Patriots by more than 5:3 and still lost. Not being able to punch the ball into the endzone was death. They needed a player that could turn a field goal into a touchdown, and that player was sidelined.

If I could do it over again and pick one of the two, it would definitely be Maclin.

Good point, but the argument could also be made that having Houston would have gotten the defense off the field a few times and the Pats wouldn't have scored of run out the game.

Good point, but the argument could also be made that having Houston would have gotten the defense off the field a few times and the Pats wouldn't have scored of run out the game.

There comes a point where having a pass rush gets completely negated by the offensive scheme. Brady never had to hold the ball because Edelman was getting open over the middle so quickly. The problem was inflexibility on the part of Bob Sutton, and secondarily a lack of depth at the cornerback position. Having Houston would've helped very little.

Sutton's bend-don't-break approach to defense seems to turn into a bend-then-break scheme come post-season. The Chiefs aren't going to win championships until their offense can outscore what Sutton's unit can give up in just a few minutes on the field.

Do not agree Jet. Edelmann was open consistently 3 seconds after Brady got the snap. Brady throws to a spot and NE receivers were right there. You could not get a pass rush on Brady if you had hadthe steelers of the 1970s on that day. We got outplayed and out coached.

Playing a rested team coming off a division win with a week to recuperate had more to do with the Chiefs loss than anything.  I'll stand by that.

Playing a rested team coming off a division win with a week to recuperate had more to do with the Chiefs loss than anything. I'll stand by that.

Don't forget the fact they also played at home, where they very rarely lose in the postseason due to comfort & bugging the visiting team's locker room

Archived