Should the Chiefs be interested in CB Brandon Boykin?

I say no. We have enough young CBs and we have to see who can play when the lights come on. Bringing in another vet will only stifle their development. You scouted and drafted them, now give them a chance to show and prove.

• 3 weeks later...

Carnell Lake, Steelers great and DB coach, said Boykin has a degenerative hip. It is rapidly degenerating and one leg is now longer than the other. Somehow this got by the Steelers doctors when they got him last year. His career is basically over. 

The Chiefs are quietly building a solid group of defensive backs. Obviously Marcus Peters was the star last season. Steven Nelson didn't play much as a rookie, but he had a solid resume'. Nelson came up large against some of the better receivers in college. A few years back fans berated Ron Parker, but the Chiefs saw something that was overlooked by most fans. His physical attributes were impressive, and the Chiefs signed him to an extension. It was money well spent. Parker proved he deserved the respect afforded him by his team. Similarly, the Chiefs are showing interest in two players whom fans have rued. Marcus Cooper, and Jamell Fleming struggled at corner, but both sport good marks in the 40, and exceptional marks in the 3 cone, and short shuttle. These times reflect an unusual ability to change direction. Only time will tell if the Chiefs can spin gold out of dross. If the past is any sign for the future, there exists promise.

The Chiefs fortified their team with three sharp college players in the draft at DB. Russell, White, and Murray are solid. The Chiefs also added Shak Randolph as an UDFA. Randolph is 6'3", and has a 41 inch vertical leap. In addition to being a defensive back, Randolph started as a receiver.  

I agree about the DB group. I think a lot of those guys are going to have to show they can fill in at S and CB to make this team. We lost a star, but I would not be surprised if there is a star or two in this group. We may not say "Sean who?" In the first half of this season, but man there are a lot of raw talented bodies there to work with. Nice work by Dorsey/Andy to look to the future and not sell out for one year success. That approach usually blows up.

Archived