Chiefs announce Bray as Smith's backup for now..

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid made a surprising declaration on Tuesday afternoon.

The Chiefs are still a little more than two months away from the start of training camp in St. Joe’s, but we already have some very interesting news on the depth chart front.

Reid has proclaimed that Tyler Bray, not Aaron Murray or Kevin Hogan, is entering training camp as the primary backup quarterback to Alex Smith. Murray was a fifth-round pick back in 2014 while Hogan was a fifth-round selection in April.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Tyler Bray will start off as the No. 2 QB for now. Open competition heading into training camp.

Despite being an undrafted free agent in 2013, Bray has stuck on the roster but never appeared or been active for a game in the regular season. He was placed on injured reserve last year after sustaining a torn ACL in a pickup basketball game.

Bray has all the physical tools you could want. He’s 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds and at 24 years old, might finally be seizing the moment after sitting behind Chase Daniel and Murray.

It will be fascinating to see if Bray can hold off Murray and Hogan in camp, not having thrown a competitive pass in two years.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2016/05/24/chiefs-announce-tyler-bray-is-backup-quarterback/

I'm not really buying it. He got a huge raise after being placed on IR. Now he gets promoted? What has he done? I think this is an effort to keep him from retiring until they what they have in the other day. Murray is a younger version of Chase Daniel. They are of the same mold. He's what they want - a smart guy that can scramble and win games. Bray wouldn't last two games behind our line. He's a Christmas tree back there.

Who knows what all this means? Bray has done a great job not getting into trouble, which is why he fell out of the draft. If you could take the best attributes of all three of the backups, you might have a pretty good QB. 

I'm not really buying it. He got a huge raise after being placed on IR. Now he gets promoted? What has he done? I think this is an effort to keep him from retiring until they what they have in the other day. Murray is a younger version of Chase Daniel. They are of the same mold. He's what they want - a smart guy that can scramble and win games. Bray wouldn't last two games behind our line. He's a Christmas tree back there.

Lol I see what you mean and I feel what you say

He does have a great arm. Probably a much higher ceiling than anyone else. Plus he has not been stupid since he got here. Intriguing, but I will believe it when I see it. Him making it to opening day as the #2.

I think I should do something stupid because then I can get credit for not doing anything stupid the next two years. I mean, it landed Bray on a pretty good quarterback coaching team. Just kidding.

Ok, this was a stupid post. Could I get some credit if I refrain from stupid posts these next two years? Aw, forget it, that's too hard of bar to pass. Can I settle on not throwing bottles at cars from my roof?

Murray > Bray

And it isn't close.

In college, without a doubt. Neither have proven a thing in the NFL though, so I guess that means they're even. I for one have low expectations for both. I actually like Hogan better as a backup for this offense, just not this year.

In college, without a doubt. Neither have proven a thing in the NFL though, so I guess that means they're even. I for one have low expectations for both. I actually like Hogan better as a backup for this offense, just not this year.

I like Hogan as well, wanted Denver to draft him.  That said, I watched Murray and Bray play a lot in college, Murray is a passer, albeit somewhat lacking elite arm strength, but he is an NFL passer.  Bray is a project, he never looked comfortable passing the football with consistency.  They both may be marginal options at this point, but having seen both play, Bray in person, I don't see any way that Bray sticks around the NFL for much longer in any meaningful capacity.

Archived