Opening Day Predictions - For Our Heros

Travis will have his chance. I am excited about all the optimism around him, but let's get some pads on and see. I hope he is everything people think (second only to Maclin would be a huge addition) but to me he is an undrafted guy that looks good in his underwear until I see him get separation and make a catch. Rooting for him though.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travis may be the next in a long line of overly hyped players, who do nothing but fill the papers with faux promise.

Two things to consider. First, the hype is not coming from the sports writers. It is all coming from the players. Second, the reason why this, is he was an undrafted free agent last year, and practiced against the Chiefs on the taxi squad. Alex Smith, in particular has been extremely complimentary of Ross Travis. He said Travis played the opposing position for the team in preparation for games, and he could not be stopped, especially at the end of the year.

A final thought. Travis Kelse, Morse, and a host of other players have taken Ross Travis under their wings. They practiced with him, worked out with him, and went out with him. You don't do that if he is just another guy passing through.

Sherman will absolutely be used on offense. If Chilly has much influence on the offense, you will see more traditional sets with ground pounding.

I see the line being Fisher, Ehringer, Morse, Ldt, Schwartz

Maclin, Wilson and Conley will be your starting receivers, Kelce and O'Safksidjfidmeodjej as your starting ends

I'd guess the offense will be run heavy with many looks vs the pass to create confusion to open lanes.

Final predictions:

Diehard

QB: Smith, Murray, Bray

Oline: Fisher, Schwartz, Morse, LDT, Ehinger

TE: Kelce (should have a base O with 2 TEs, but don't)

FB: none

RB: Charles

WR: Maclin, Streeter, Robinson (Conley beat out and DAT retires because of concussions)

Dline: Poe, Bailey, Howard

LB: DJ, Hali, Ford, Wilson

CB: Peters, Russell (Gaines returns to the tub. Damn it.)

S: Berry, Parker

Chiefmania

TE: Kelce

WR: Maclin, Robinson, Conley

OL: Fisher, LDT, Morse, Reid, Schwartz

DL: Bailey, Poe, Howard

LB: Ford, DJ, March, Hali

CB: Peters, Gaines

Xen

QB: Smith, Bray, Murray

Oline: Fisher, Schwartz, Morse, LDT, Ehinger

TE: Kelce, Harris

WR: Maclin, Conley

LB: DJ, Hali, Ford

NB: Nelson

Semo

Oline: Fisher, Schwartz, Morse, LDT, Reid

WR: Maclin, Conley, Wilson

LB: DJ, Hali, Ford, Mauga

Mugsy

Oline: Fisher, Schwartz, Morse, LDT, Fulton

FB: Sherman

RB: West (I don't think Charles will be the same.)

WR: Maclin, Wilson

LB: DJ, Hali, Ford, March

Eraser

QB - Smith

RB - Charles

WR - Maclin

TE - Kelse

TE - Travis

LT - Fisher

LG - Ehinger

C - Morse

RG - LDT

RT - Schwartz

WR – Streater

No defensive players.

KCCrow

QB: Smith, Murray, Hogan

OL: Fisher, Fulton, Morse, Duvernay-Tardif, Schwartz

WR: Maclin, Conley, Wilson

DL: Bailey, Poe, Howard

LB: Hali, Johnson, March, Ford

CB: Peters, Russell

Sherman will absolutely be used on offense. If Chilly has much influence on the offense, you will see more traditional sets with ground pounding.

Maclin, Wilson and Conley will be your starting receivers, Kelce and O'Safksidjfidmeodjej as your starting ends

I'd guess the offense will be run heavy with many looks vs the pass to create confusion to open lanes.

Streeter, not Wilson

Who is O'Safksidjfidmeodjej? How will the announcers deal with that?  Is that a Finnish, Irish, or African name?

• 4 weeks later...

Defense (Houston will be on the IR to start the season) He will return around October. I will not include him as a starter just yet.

FS - Parker

SS - Sorensen

LCB- Peters

RCB- Nelson

LOLB - Ford

ROLB - Hali (unless the knee does not respond) then Zombo

RDE - Bailey

LDE - Howard

NT - Poe

LILB - Johnson

RILB - Mauga   (Mauga may start at first, but Wilson may well take over in time. The key for Wilson is his weight. Mauga has 10 - 15 lbs on him, and the Chiefs need their RILB to play straight up, and be stout. That allows DJ to free lance, and hit those gaps. I like

LDE Chris Jones will get a lot of action, and may actually play more than Howard, if he develops quick enough. Jones can help whomever plays at LOLB in run situations.

I like J March, but he plays behind DJ. March will get his shots, if he stays healthy, but he will not pass DJ, not this year anyway. He is only 222 lbs (according to the website), so he is not going to play RILB. I would not put it past the Chiefs to put in March DJ, and Mauga in at the same time in a hybrid 4-3.

Eric Berry is a hybrid S. He is really not a traditional starter. Sorensen is a better SS. Parker is the FS. Berry is a blend of FS and SS. He was not worth the contract his agent pushed, and the Chiefs held strong. Eric Berry can sign as a FA, or he can play under the contract offered, or he can hold out the entire season. My guess is he will miss most of the camp, and come back in time to sign the offer. He will need time to get acclimated. That means Eric Berry will not start immediately. No worries, Sorensen is becoming our John Lynch. I was excited the Chiefs signed him as an UDFA. He was not nearly as fast out of college, but has the same anticipation to the ball that Lynch was renowned for. Sorensen lays the wood, and is faster than Lynch was when Lynch became good. 40 speed is overrated. They were very close in three cone times. Lynch was a little bigger too.

Gaines will play a lot of nickle. The Chiefs will play with three safeties at times, Murray, and Eric Berry will get in at those spots. Berry will be like a third safety, but play ahead of Murray (who may be groomed to replace Eric).

Special teams

P Colquitt

K Santos

LS Winchester

H Colquitt

PR Hill

KR Davis

If T. Hill becomes better integrated into the offense as a WR, he will not be used as much at PR. Instead, the Chiefs will use DAT (if he remains on the team).

Hill and Robinson can play KR, if the Chiefs cut Knile Davis. I have a feeling Davis got the message. He is playing much better. I don't know how the Chiefs will be able to keep all these players. However, Dorsey has been known to use the IR liberally. They will do some creative things to stockpile talent.

Streater is my starting WR next to Maclin. However, he may get the boot if he gets hurt or other receivers rise to the occasion. His contract calls for him to make $4.81 M this season. Only $110,000 is guaranteed, and counts against the cap if he is released.

Foles is only guaranteed $1.75M this year. He is likely to make the team, but not guaranteed. The cap hit would be $1.75 M, but it isn't large enough to be handled if things go south. I think it will take a few weeks for him to get into the swing. There will be others coming back late, such as Houston. So, if the Chiefs want, they could retain an extra QB until then, and decide which way to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Chiefs 27

Chargers 24

They always make it close.

Asks for Carolina vs Denver:

Carolina by 10

Naaah.  Arrowhead will be thunderous.  The Chargers' defense is bad and their decent offense will not be able to hear.  Chiefs by 10 at least.

So this message board predicts a bigger spread for the Chiefs than the Bolts board does for the Chargers.  Seem like exact science and the Chiefs are a lock.  :lol:

Our guys: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/10/12850076/nfl-picks-chargers-chiefs-predictions-are-unanimous-for-the-good-guys

31.6 - 20.9 Chiefs

Total Average: 27.5 - 19.3

Weighted Average: 25.7 - 18.6

Archived