Who is your breakout player for 2016?

Why does Alex Smith have to be surrounded with so much controversy? His teams that were not run by Never-Will-Be-Head-Coaches-Again were winning teams and consistently in the playoffs, and once you exclude the lost seasons that shouldn't be counted against any quarterback, the only knock on him is that he is statistically underwhelming. So it has been for a lot of winning quarterbacks.

In 2015, the average number of offensive drives per game by teams was 11.02. Alex Smith's offense executed 10.875 drives per game in 2015, suggesting that if all things are equal, his offense could score 1.3% less than a team with an average number of drives, and Smith's offense would be equally productive. When adjusted for Points Per Drive, Smith's 2015 offense was the ninth-most prolific at 2.07 points per drive. Smith's offense scored more than a tenth of a point more per offensive drive than Aaron Rodgers' offense. That's significant when the most productive offense last year, Tom Brady's, topped the scale at 2.57 points per drive. (The above-referenced data excluded drives that consisted exclusively of kneel-downs.)

The least important matters in reference to winning quarterbacks get re-framed by certain fans as the most important things. It's tiresome. If Smith's offense consistently outscores his opponents' offense, I will be happy. Smith's offense can score fewer points in 2016 than it did in 2015, but if that is the product of clock-eating drives and fewer scoring opportunities as a result, that would mean that Smith's offense executed at a superior level. There are too many one-for-one comparisons in statistical analysis that are rendered invalid or irrelevant by the circumstances in which the statistics were accumulated. We're old enough to know more about mathematics than addition and subtraction. Perhaps in our so-called analyses we could start applying a few more rates where warranted.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does Alex Smith have to be surrounded with so much controversy?

Because he's Alex Smith. Success just has to be explained away, otherwise you're not trying to be analytical. It doesn't matter whether he checks into a run play when Reid called for a pass and that goes for a touchdown. The running back should get the credit. Doesn't matter if he builds a lead allowing the defense to be aggressive and burns clock so the defense is rested. The defense should get the credit. Not saying that he is the best and I know that having a good defense and running team helps, but it seems like there is a lot of shifting of credit. This team is made to work together and complement each other.

Let me put it this way. I've been a Chiefs fan forever. I've seen an endless stream of KC QBs that other teams didn't want any more. Grbac, Bono, Cassel, Smith,etc., blah, blah, blah. Every one of them had people tell me the same stuff about them that you guys are telling me now. In a year or two another recycled QB will come in and I'll be preached to again by about how this one is different. I'm a Chiefs fan. Alex Smith is my favorite QB in the league. He's a Chief. Believe me if the Chiefs win a SB and Smith has hideous stats I could care less. This thread asked who do you want to have a breakout season and I said Alex Smith. Has he had such an outstanding career that he simply can not take it to another level. We've seen the absolute best of him?

How do you like that for dropping a couple of absolutes?

Let me put it this way. I've been a Chiefs fan forever. I've seen an endless stream of KC QBs that other teams didn't want any more. Grbac, Bono, Cassel, Smith,etc., blah, blah, blah. Every one of them had people tell me the same stuff about them that you guys are telling me now. In a year or two another recycled QB will come in and I'll be preached to again by about how this one is different. I'm a Chiefs fan. Alex Smith is my favorite QB in the league. He's a Chief. Believe me if the Chiefs win a SB and Smith has hideous stats I could care less. This thread asked who do you want to have a breakout season and I said Alex Smith. Has he had such an outstanding career that he simply can not take it to another level. We've seen the absolute best of him?

"Breakout player" generally indicates a player who finally 'gets it' after a period of 'not getting it', or otherwise has a certain sudden, significant jump in production. Most would not consider an incremental improvement in statistical measures indicative of a breakout, and I would quickly make an argument against a ten-strong spike in passing touchdowns over the season as being the product of some quantum leap in progress, especially if that spike was accompanied by an associated drop in the total number of rushing touchdowns. In trying to quantify what was meant by "breakout season" (because you can't get a dictionary definition of the term), I got a rather blithe response from you.

I enjoy cordial, cerebral discussions about football, and especially about quarterbacks, as there isn't a position in any sport that is as complex in its nature and is as crucial to the success of the team. Unfortunately, discussion about certain quarterbacks tends toward blanket statements about their physical ability or their decorations that discount all of the other really important things. You've gone past that here, but then got stuck in neutral before getting to Point B.

"Breakout player" generally indicates a player who finally 'gets it' after a period of 'not getting it', or otherwise has a certain sudden, significant jump in production. Most would not consider an incremental improvement in statistical measures indicative of a breakout, and I would quickly make an argument against a ten-strong spike in passing touchdowns over the season as being the product of some quantum leap in progress, especially if that spike was accompanied by an associated drop in the total number of rushing touchdowns. In trying to quantify what was meant by "breakout season" (because you can't get a dictionary definition of the term), I got a rather blithe response from you.

I enjoy cordial, cerebral discussions about football, and especially about quarterbacks, as there isn't a position in any sport that is as complex in its nature and is as crucial to the success of the team. Unfortunately, discussion about certain quarterbacks tends toward blanket statements about their physical ability or their decorations that discount all of the other really important things. You've gone past that here, but then got stuck in neutral before getting to Point B.

I try to be cordial. You have to go through neutral to get to drive. How's that for cerebral? :)

I try to be cordial. You have to go through neutral to get to drive. How's that for cerebral? :)

Don't wast your time with pompous ass, know it alls. He is a relatively new Chiefs fan and doesn't understand our travail and longsuffering with recycled QBs.

Don't wast your time with pompous ass, know it alls. He is a relatively new Chiefs fan and doesn't understand our travail and longsuffering with recycled QBs.

They are Alex Smith fans. The team that he plays for at any given time is irrelevant. 

They are Alex Smith fans. The team that he plays for at any given time is irrelevant.

I've been a Chief fan well before Smith came here. I went to USC, and while he never played a snap at USC, I hoped that Cassel was the real deal being from there. He wasn't. Didn't really get into football until the end of the 80's beginning of the 90s. But teams a little bit after that (1991 or 1992 or so). Born mid eighties. My uncle told me of two teams - his childhood Bears and the Chiefs (went to law school in St. Louis when the Rams weren't there). He played in college and when he went to law school, he watched the Chiefs whenever he could - though law school prevented any real following.

Ok, I get it. I thought it was a prediction thread, not who you want to breakout. That's why I was confused, knowing some of your posts on Smith, because I didn't think you expected a big statistical show but was predicting a breakout season. So I thought, I wouldn't guess your prediction to be high but still an expected breakout? But if it's who you want to breakout, it makes sense now.

I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to respond to this, but since anything I say about excusing a lack of objectivity on the basis of past suffering would come off as pompous, I will instead simply limit my comment to this: I respectfully disagree with your assessment of my bearing.

Steven Nelson is a player to watch this year. Nelson outplayed Peters in many of his college games. He could be a breakout player. Phillip Gaines may be the other corner, but I think his best role may be as a nickle against slot receivers. 

As West said, Tyreek Hill could have a major impact, if he can stay out of trouble. Hill is said to have soft hands. Is it unreasonable to think he can play WR? Maybe it is this year, but he may have more of an impact at that position. If that is the way they go, Thomas may still have a shot at making the team. 

Spencer Ware. The guy is so grateful to be a Chief and he runs like a battering ram. He could be the goal line and short distance running back in the rotation and yes it will be a rotation. He could score 10 or more TD's this year as part of the three back attack.

I mentioned the name before, but Ross Travis may actually make the team this year. He played basketball for Penn State. After that was over, he tried out for different teams, and caught on with the Chiefs. He wasn't supposed to be very good. He was raw last year, but good enough to make the practice team. Apparently, Travis caught the eye of the coaches, and some of the players. He has been hanging around Travis Kelce, Murray, and Morse. He is a smart kid, with excellent size/speed.

The Chiefs may carry three TEs this year. Travis Kelce has become one of the best in the league. Demetrius Harris has improved, and will be the #2 TE. The third TE spot may go to Ross Travis. At 6'7" 240 lbs, Ross runs a 4.6 40, and https://vine.co/v/O9tBu7xDIlb remains athletic. He worked out with Morse to improve his strength, and blocking. He worked with Murray to improve his pass catching. I have heard he has shown remarkable improvement. O'Shaughnessy and Parker will likely battle it out with Ross Travis for that final TE position on the team. I doubt they keep more than three.

Demetrius Harris          6'7"  4.57 40 time

Ross Travis                  6'7"  4.60 40 time

Travis Kelce                 6'5"   4.61 40 time

James O'Shaghnessy  6'4"    4.67 40 time

Alex Smith is excited about three tight end set opportunities

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-QB-Alex-Smith-Excited-About-Three-Tight-End-Set-Opportunities/1615b41c-3a43-4501-a724-27f2d5d89c80

I haven't heard much of Shag this year, but I have heard Harris, and Ross Travis have made huge steps forward. If so, could the Chiefs carry 4 TE's on their team, and try to put Parker on their Practice Squad?

Thanks eraser

I'm excited about this upcoming year. The previous years we relied so much on Charles carrying the load on offense, and look what they did without him. I feel there has been a huge lift of pressure off us as fans, for not needing to rely so much on one person anymore. 

This 3 TE set will be fun to watch. They can pound it with Charles, Ware, West, or dish it to one of these 3 big boys. I have no idea what they'll do with this depth 

Demetrius Harris 6'7" 4.57 40 time

Ross Travis 6'7" 4.60 40 time

Travis Kelce 6'5" 4.61 40 time

James O'Shaghnessy 6'4" 4.67 40 time

Alex Smith is excited about three tight end set opportunities

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-QB-Alex-Smith-Excited-About-Three-Tight-End-Set-Opportunities/1615b41c-3a43-4501-a724-27f2d5d89c80

I haven't heard much of Shag this year, but I have heard Harris, and Ross Travis have made huge steps forward. If so, could the Chiefs carry 4 TE's on their team, and try to put Parker on their Practice Squad?

I would like to see a lot of 3 TEs as a regular set up. With our RBs and this offense, I think it would be a nightmare to stop the run and with the catching ability of the TEs it would be tough to cover them in the passing game. I doubt they keep 4 but I would be excited if they did. It would tell me we have a ton of 3 TE sets coming.

Archived