Berry is terrific...But it takes a ton of players to win a Super Bowl.

Dorsey knows how this works from his time in Green Bay.

I am not sure Andy knows based on some of his wacky personnel moves in Philly.

I trust Dorsey....Signing Berry to a long term, BIG dollar deal is a significant chess move.

Most fans are playing checkers...

w

:lol:  YUP

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Adbuhulla retiring Berry is a must this year. I think someone steps up and we can use the money on NT or WR or CB next year. If nobody steps up, we probably have to pay Berry next year. He will make so serious money next year either way.

Berry is a born leader and he has been since High School. The other two were pot heads. Houston didn't even start until his Senior year of college and no one could count on Bowe for anything. Berry is on that Ray Lewis level. He's the heart of the Chiefs. 

You clearly like Berry, but Ray Lewis!?

No. Ray Lewis is one of the greatest linebackers ever to play the game. Berry is currently a top-ten run-stopping safety. The two are not analogous.

Now the media appears to be hinting that he's going to sit out the preseason as well and if that happens the regular season possibly. Not sure I believe it but this is looking like a PR nightmare for the Chiefs so far this offseason.

If he does that, then I hope he doesn't let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.  Dorsey and Clark have been more than fair with him, including paying him last year when they didn't have to.  This is just diva shit now.  If true...

Berry is not half the player Houston is. I agree with the great person stance, but don't know how Berry got to be greatest of all time in your mind. He is good. Not great. Will never be a HOF IMO.

I think Berry will have a better career than Houston. I have watched both of them since HS. He is already having a better career IMO.

I don't what you guys are missing. He was the number one rated safety last year. He was ranked 1st against the run and 4th against the pass out of 64 starting safeties. Houston is a LOLB who goes against RTs most of the time. Personally, I think he will be lucky to have the career Hali has had when its all said and done. He's already on the decline.

Leadership will take a huge hit without him. You guys really underestimate what he means to this team in that area. After Alex Smith, he is absolutely the one guy we cannot afford to lose this season. Especially when you consider all the dumbasses we've drafted over the last two years. Peters would have been ejected at least twice last year if it weren't for Berry. He's gonna laugh at Parker if he tries to do what Berry did. What about this year's draft class? Over half of them have been in trouble. You think Alex is gonna keep Marcus Robinson in check? I know I don't. Leadership is HUGE in the NFL.

Berry is not half the player Houston is. I agree with the great person stance, but don't know how Berry got to be greatest of all time in your mind. He is good. Not great. Will never be a HOF IMO.

You need to watch some games and note the level of competition.

I don't think berry is the GOAT. I think he's the best player on the roster though.

Could you blame him after what he has been through? The Chiefs wanted him to make them the benificiary if anything happened. I could see where he is coming from.

It's business. They could've easily withheld his game checks last year. But, they didn't. And, if they would have, could you have seen where they were coming from?

It's business. They could've easily withheld his game checks last year. But, they didn't. And, if they would have, could you have seen where they were coming from?

If you were coming off cancer and your employer said, "You can work here but, if you die we are the beneficiary" how would you feel?

Sounds like it won't get done. One report I heard said Chiefs want Berry to pay for disability insurance and name Chiefs as beneficiary and Berry says no way. Chiefs later backed off from that request. This sucks ass.

I edited it. They wanted him to pay for the policy and name Chiefs beneficiary. Then they backed off of that requirement.

So, you are saying that they wanted to be the sole beneficiaries of a life insurance policy? That if he dies, they get paid?

Yep, even if he gets hurt they wanted to get paid. After he got pissed they took out that clause. They were gonna pay him what he wanted. This isn't about Dorsey selling him short. It got personal.

Guest Okiechief1

Yea Dorsey screwed up with trying to do the insurance deal no question about that.

Chances are Berry will sign his tag somewhere around the 3rd pre season game and play the season out and head somewhere else. He doesn't do himself any favors by sitting out then hoping for the big payday next year.

Outside of the insurance deal, not really gonna lay blame on either side of this.

You need to watch some games and note the level of competition.

I don't think berry is the GOAT. I think he's the best player on the roster though.

I have watched all his games as a Chief. The thing is that Houston has had more sacks in the last 3 years than anyone not named Watt. (who may be the best of all time). People are gushing over Von Miller who has 25 sacks over the last 3 years. Houston has more than 40. And he is FAR superior to either in coverage.

I don't like to throw insults around like "you need to watch more football". I just honestly think Houston is a very special, HOF special, player. The best all around LB in the league. His play displays it and his numbers display it. That is not what Berry is. It's just not. I get that he is you favorite player, but to say he is a better player than Houston is, well, lunacy.

Berry will play. He has been paid very handsomely and will have the highest salary in the league this year. Any player that sits out a year to avoid the tag is a moron. You give up a ton of money, you soil your reputation and they can just tag you again the next year. It will not happen. He will play and play well. It's a contact year.

Yea Dorsey screwed up with trying to do the insurance deal no question about that.

Chances are Berry will sign his tag somewhere around the 3rd pre season game and play the season out and head somewhere else. He doesn't do himself any favors by sitting out then hoping for the big payday next year.

Outside of the insurance deal, not really gonna lay blame on either side of this.

Would they be the sole beneficiary or just to reimburse for salary not earned yet? I could see 4/16ths if something happened Week 12 or so. The rest to family.

I'm not trying to be graphic, but that's what a life insurance policy is, it's when you die (or lose capability of working, etc.?).

Guest Okiechief1

Would they be the sole beneficiary or just to reimburse for salary not earned yet? I could see 4/16ths if something happened Week 12 or so. The rest to family.

I'm not trying to be graphic, but that's what a life insurance policy is, it's when you die (or lose capability of working, etc.?).

I dunno how they wanted it set up. I don't how you go about addressing it either but from a business stand point I get why they were trying to do it. From the reports they wanted Berry to pay the premium as well. Maybe set up 2 policies, one that goes to Berry and his family, the second to the team and the team pays the policy? Not sure that can be done under the CBA though. Makes me wonder if it would if the policy premium would would be considered part of his salary and maybe that's why they wanted him to pay it.

Could you blame him after what he has been through? The Chiefs wanted him to make them the benificiary if anything happened. I could see where he is coming from.

Yes, I could blame him. He gets played to play a game. Then he got paid his full [inflated] salary while on medical leave.

Also, it seems pretty unfair to take the manipulation of a technicality of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and make it appear as some devious scheme on the part of the Chiefs' front office. They were trying to hedge on an investment. They were hoping that Berry would remain healthy. In the event he didn't, they wanted to protect themselves.

I refuse to cry for Berry. He got paid more in one partial season of not playing football than I will make in my entire life.

If you were coming off cancer and your employer said, "You can work here but, if you die we are the beneficiary" how would you feel?

It depends:

If my employer offered me $7,500,000 per year to play for four years, but told me that I had to take out a policy costing me $2,000,000 over four years, I would feel the same about that as I would if the same employer offered me $7,000,000 per year to play for four years.

This "personal" stuff is nonsense. Bean counting is bean counting. Everything balances out in the end. And in the end, the part where it got "personal" was where the Chiefs indicated to Berry that they thought he was worth $7,000,000 per year, not $11,000,000 per year. Berry is upset because he thinks he's worth more to the Chiefs than the Chiefs think he's worth to the Chiefs. And I agree with the Chiefs here: Safeties are almost never worth a 5% share of the team's salary cap.

Archived