• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy the wins and let it go.  Berry could have died.  His recovery was a long shot.  Seeing him thrive afterward on the field was a blessing and was inspiring.  I'm sorry, guys.  These things happen.  You simply cannot shell out guaranteed cash in huge amounts for a long term contract.  His disease could come back.  His body will almost certainly wear out quicker because of the poisons he had to take to save his life.  That leaves him an extremely long shot to last the length of the contract you all want to see. To do so would be "nice" but not to the fans who want to see a champion.  The better the front office drafts, the more expensive the long term contracts become.  They are going to have to really pay in a big way a whole bunch of guys down the road, and they can't.  You need a star QB to win a superbowl.  That is the ONLY reason Denver succeeded.  First Elway, then Manning.  That gets you through the rough years when stars leave.

I agree man. He's the only hall of famer on the roster and we won't win a super bowl without him. I still have some faith it will get done after the season...

Well we have not won one with him yet and he have not won one with previous HOFrs and you dont know if he's the only HOFr on the team right now..

This doesn't sit right with me, the only people I read or hear talking about this as good for the team are the people on this board.  Whether it's friends and family in KC or ESPN experts, everyone else are scratching their heads and wondering why this didn't happen.  You have to know that this is going to come back and bite the Chiefs in the ASS.  What makes me more annoyed is that the Broncos continue to put on a clinic on how to keep star players regardless of their cap situation.  Mark it down in Berry hits the market, whenever that may be, he will make the Chiefs pay.  Same old Chiefs.  

Look at the way the Broncos just overpaid Brock Osweiler to... oh.

Mark Sanchez? That was bound to be controversial, but they didn't overpay to trade for Colin Kaepernick, which would have been more exciting, and they didn't bother to poach Ryan Fitzpatrick, which out of all available options would have been best for the short term. Now that Peyton Manning is gone, the Broncos are no longer a "super team". It's going to be harder for them to attract top-end free agents at under market value.

I'm super happy that the Chiefs didn't overpay, either due to sentimentality, or due to a mistaken idea that the team needed yet another "elite" (not my words) defender rather than someone that can protect Smith in the pocket or be a quality target to throw to. How about the Chiefs stop allocating so much money to the defense and start planting players in the offense that are of better than undrafted talent?

What makes me more annoyed is that the Broncos continue to put on a clinic on how to keep star players regardless of their cap situation.  Mark it down in Berry hits the market, whenever that may be, he will make the Chiefs pay.  Same old Chiefs.  

I'm going to add that the Broncos aren't exactly in a good spot right now cap-wise. Aside from having to select between Mark Sanchez and rookie Paxton Lynch for their starting quarterback this year, they're heading into 2017 with a $125 million cap number and yet without some players under contract that have been staples for this recent run of playoff seasons: Emmanuel Sanders and DeMarcus Ware. Cornerback Bradley Roby will be in a contract year. Can you name the offensive linemen that will be playing this year?

Seriously, I'm surprised that you would praise the Broncos right now when they basically have a shut down defense that could be on the field 36 minutes a game because of a suspect offensive line protecting suspect quarterbacking. You're worried about the damage to the Chiefs if Berry's gone in 2017? How are the Broncos going to score points if their opponents aren't feeding the defense pick- and scoop-sixes? Unless Paxton Lynch turns out to be something special, the Broncos' Super Bowl window has already closed. Given that the Chiefs exited the 2015 playoffs because they lacked starting depth on offense and had a safety that gave up a bad touchdown, your position is simply unjustifiable.

Elway managed to snag Peyton Manning as part of a once-in-a-quarter-of-a-century free agent move, and everything was roses for the Broncos until Manning's retirement. If Lynch doesn't work out and the free agent quarterback market stays dry, it could be years before the Broncos compete for a playoff spot again. Meanwhile, the Chiefs have opted for long-term sustainability, and they've already proven that they have the pieces needed to win in the post-season if they can just stay healthy.

If Berry wanted to get a deal done, it would have happened. He has all the right to chase the bucks next year in free agency. I don't blame him either. Maybe they will get a deal done before he turns into a free agent next year. That is an option.

Eric Berry will still make somewhere north of 10 million bucks this year. If he was smart, he banked most of the $50 plus million he got paid as a rookie. His rookie contract was more lucrative than he should be paid on his second deal. He just lucked out.

The point is EB is not hurting. He should already have generational money. He should be able to retire right now and not look back, if he wants to. I have no hard feelings. This is a business. He is a grown man. He can do as he wants.

They're not cutting anyone and the amount of space they need for the season depends on who they sign and how much they give.

Only the top 51 count on the books.

Berry shouldn't be the highest paid S in the NFL and the Chiefs should have some protection in place...although thats not how I would of got it.

Yeah but some of the potential replacement signees would be in that 51.

Well we have not won one with him yet and he have not won one with previous HOFrs and you dont know if he's the only HOFr on the team right now..

We won our first playoff game in ages with him back there and he had a major impact on that game. He is the most likely on the roster to become a HOFer Imo. Maybe it will get done in February? Chiefs say they still want him and he wants to be a chief.

Guest 303Chiefs

Like I said, only place I've seen people agreeing with the Berry situation is this board. However, I tend to think that professionals and ex-players that have weighed in on this situation might have a better idea of how this is going to effect the Chiefs than a bunch of arm chair know it-all's who attack anyone who have a different opinion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17084235/eric-berry-kansas-city-chiefs-not-reach-long-term-deal

We won our first playoff game in ages with him back there and he had a major impact on that game. He is the most likely on the roster to become a HOFer Imo. Maybe it will get done in February? Chiefs say they still want him and he wants to be a chief.

You don't think Charles is a HOFer?

Like I said, only place I've seen people agreeing with the Berry situation is this board. However, I tend to think that professionals and ex-players that have weighed in on this situation might have a better idea of how this is going to effect the Chiefs than a bunch of arm chair know it-all's who attack anyone who have a different opinion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17084235/eric-berry-kansas-city-chiefs-not-reach-long-term-deal

Come on, man. There's just no reason for you to be like that about this. No one attacked you, except maybe '63 with his "boot licker" comment, but then you attacked pretty much everyone here that doesn't see things the way you do. Why is it that the professionals and ex-players outside of the Chiefs' organization are smarter than both the "arm chair know-it-alls" and also General Manager John Dorsey (who at last count would fit the bill of "professional").

Relax. The Chiefs just gave Berry the Kirk Cousins treatment. Berry hasn't been wronged, and the Chiefs are probably much better off for not overpaying an individual for results derived primarily by the play of his teammates.

Guest Okiechief1

How many of those guys in the video have actually been in a GM position and had to make decisions on who to keep and what to pay them and how that will effect next year and the year after. Just because they are an ex player doesn't mean they know how to run a team, it's not a shock that ex players are supporting a current player in a contract negotiation especially a guy like Berry because of what he has had to over come to get to this point so he is an easy guy to want to get the LTD done.

Next up is Poe who is probably gonna cost more than Berry, after that Fish and if he keeps ascending as a player, will probably want close top 5 LT money which is also more than Berry. Can't pay everybody, and it looks like Dorsey is choosing not to pay the position that is probably the easiest to replace.

I love Berry, one of my favorites, having said that I love the Chiefs more and I can see why not paying the guy top money for a Safety is the right thing to do.

I'm going to add that the Broncos aren't exactly in a good spot right now cap-wise. Aside from having to select between Mark Sanchez and rookie Paxton Lynch for their starting quarterback this year, they're heading into 2017 with a $125 million cap number and yet without some players under contract that have been staples for this recent run of playoff seasons: Emmanuel Sanders and DeMarcus Ware. Cornerback Bradley Roby will be in a contract year. Can you name the offensive linemen that will be playing this year?

Seriously, I'm surprised that you would praise the Broncos right now when they basically have a shut down defense that could be on the field 36 minutes a game because of a suspect offensive line protecting suspect quarterbacking. You're worried about the damage to the Chiefs if Berry's gone in 2017? How are the Broncos going to score points if their opponents aren't feeding the defense pick- and scoop-sixes? Unless Paxton Lynch turns out to be something special, the Broncos' Super Bowl window has already closed. Given that the Chiefs exited the 2015 playoffs because they lacked starting depth on offense and had a safety that gave up a bad touchdown, your position is simply unjustifiable.

Elway managed to snag Peyton Manning as part of a once-in-a-quarter-of-a-century free agent move, and everything was roses for the Broncos until Manning's retirement. If Lynch doesn't work out and the free agent quarterback market stays dry, it could be years before the Broncos compete for a playoff spot again. Meanwhile, the Chiefs have opted for long-term sustainability, and they've already proven that they have the pieces needed to win in the post-season if they can just stay healthy.

If the Chiefs were able to go to 2 Super Bowls in 3 years and win a world championship, I'd take a couple years of cap hell. We are quick to praise how well the Chiefs can manage a cap every year but never get to praise the Chiefs for a championship. 

Yeah but some of the potential replacement signees would be in that 51.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think the Chiefs will love to have Berry back, at the right price.

The Chiefs are currently a winning organization and a contender, and no longer should feel pressed to overspend on players. They need to maintain that in negotiations.

He's worth a hair over what Chancellor gets, which is a far cry under what he wants.

Because of the amount of dead money they have carried for years, the Chiefs have to start being absolutely prudent with contracts. Can't be overpaying for anyone.

Are you expecting the Chiefs to draft early any time soon? Your backup plan is much easier said than done. Fisher hasn't become an elite left tackle, but he's flashed high-end ability that is not easily replaced.

I think you've got your retention order backward. Fisher probably would bring the best value for his position, and if gets replaced with a rookie down the road, the result will likely be that you'll get to see a lot more Berry and Poe than you want to.

Meh. Half the starting left tackles in the league were drafted in the bottom of the first or out of the first round altogether.

There's still a great disparity in pay between left and right tackles even though many of the best rushers are coming from the right side now as teams have figured out how effective this is.

The pay hasn't caught up to this but Dorsey has. Unless fish takes a big leap he's in the bottom third of production among left tackles. While he's an ascending player, i think, definitely not worth overpaying when teams have proven you can find good tackles all over the draft.

You don't think Charles is a HOFer?

Most HOFers play no less than 10 years and out of those 10 years they are very productive. Currently Charles has played for 3 complete seasons out of 8 seasons he's been in the NFL. He has some great accomplishments but he will need another 3 to 4 more good years to be a HOFer. Then again players are playing less now so the unspoken criteria for the HOF will start to go down as well.

If the Chiefs were able to go to 2 Super Bowls in 3 years and win a world championship, I'd take a couple years of cap hell. We are quick to praise how well the Chiefs can manage a cap every year but never get to praise the Chiefs for a championship. 

Funny, I seem to remember that Eric Berry was the safety for the Chiefs when they gave up 45 points in the AFC Wild Card playoff in the same year that the Broncos went to the Super Bowl (and lost).

Eric Berry didn't play well enough to help the Chiefs overcome not having better than a WR5 on the field during the playoffs in 2015.

It just seems like not committing to a long-term contract for a player that's not helping you win playoff games is sound reasoning, regardless of whether the team ultimately gets to the Super Bowl or not.

Meh. Half the starting left tackles in the league were drafted in the bottom of the first or out of the first round altogether.

There's still a great disparity in pay between left and right tackles even though many of the best rushers are coming from the right side now as teams have figured out how effective this is.

The pay hasn't caught up to this but Dorsey has. Unless fish takes a big leap he's in the bottom third of production among left tackles. While he's an ascending player, i think, definitely not worth overpaying when teams have proven you can find good tackles all over the draft.

I don't want to see the Chiefs overpay for mediocre left tackle play any more than I want to see the Chiefs overpay for mediocre pass coverage. Even so, Eric Fisher is showing improvement at his position, and he is not so encumbered by a significant list of medical red flags.

Most HOFers play no less than 10 years and out of those 10 years they are very productive. Currently Charles has played for 3 complete seasons out of 8 seasons he's been in the NFL. He has some great accomplishments but he will need another 3 to 4 more good years to be a HOFer. Then again players are playing less now so the unspoken criteria for the HOF will start to go down as well.

I had forgot how few rushing yards he had. Hopefully he plays another 2 or 3 years and keeps the yards per carry record going and racks up some a lot more receiving yards.

I don't want to see the Chiefs overpay for mediocre left tackle play any more than I want to see the Chiefs overpay for mediocre pass coverage. Even so, Eric Fisher is showing improvement at his position, and he is not so encumbered by a significant list of medical red flags.

True. Hopefully he takes a big leap this year and lives up to his potential.

Funny, I seem to remember that Eric Berry was the safety for the Chiefs when they gave up 45 points in the AFC Wild Card playoff in the same year that the Broncos went to the Super Bowl (and lost).

Eric Berry didn't play well enough to help the Chiefs overcome not having better than a WR5 on the field during the playoffs in 2015.

It just seems like not committing to a long-term contract for a player that's not helping you win playoff games is sound reasoning, regardless of whether the team ultimately gets to the Super Bowl or not.

You missed my point.

Guest 303Chiefs

Terrible logic, anyone can have a bad game, but anything that can make you justify your logic.  Needless to say, the Chiefs keep getting hammered by experts as to why this deal did not happen.  I feel for Berry, the Chiefs made a mistake I my eyes and I have a gut feeling this will haunt us.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/207226/potential-eric-berry-absence-puts-chiefs-defense-in-even-tighter-spot

Terrible logic, anyone can have a bad game, but anything that can make you justify your logic. Needless to say, the Chiefs keep getting hammered by experts as to why this deal did not happen. I feel for Berry, the Chiefs made a mistake I my eyes and I have a gut feeling this will haunt us.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/207226/potential-eric-berry-absence-puts-chiefs-defense-in-even-tighter-spot

That is a fair point. I have been reading some of the criticism. I don't know if Poe is more important than Berry because I don't know if the back issue will resurface. If it does, Howard will cost us a lot. I do think that a 3-4 NT is harder to find than a SS. We will likely have a drop off to some extent losing Berry at SS, but not the drop off that would result in not having a stud NT. To stop the run in a 3-4, it is MHO that a stout NT is a must. The healthiest of Poe and Howard will be that guy. And he won't be cheap.

Archived