Wow some people are reading way too much into this. It's bidness. Berry thinks he can get more than what kc is offering on the open market. He's probably right. So why take a discounted deal?

I will never agree that paying a safety that much is a smart decision. Hell I thought 5th overall was too high to draft him. Good player but enough is enough. Pay him this year, let him walk, and take the cap savings and the compensatory pick.

Players often take a hometown discount when it benefits them. For instance, a QB may take less money now in favor of having a better WR, or a G to protect him. Often, the deals are back loaded, and the QB gets his money. He also knows without the WR or G, he may be out of football sooner than later.

The NFL is a rough sport. One well placed hit, and a guy is done, maybe for life. When they leave the NFL, few can match the income they receive when playing. A few get to leverage their notoriety on appearances, and advertisements. However, most are not as fortunate. There are not a lot of jobs paying $10M per season. So, who would blame Eric Berry for wanting more money now, while he is still playing?

It will stink if the Chiefs cannot retain him, but the Chiefs may feel they do not need as much money allocated to that position. I felt that way a long time ago. Safety is an important position, and Eric Berry is among the best, but there are other spots that would pay bigger dividends for the same price.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Berry would take a little bit of a home town discount, but probably no enough to make it work. Makes no sense for him to leave 3 or 4 million a year on the table. It makes no sense for the Chuefs to try and come close to some of these recent safety contracts.

I would say 80% chance he is gone after this year. It will come down to how he and the other safeties perform. How Poe performs could also play into it.

yea but if he takes an entire year off couldn't the Chiefs in spite Franchise him again? Regardless if he did take the year off Berry will never see a big payday again..just my opinion..and it is about the $$ no matter what comes out of the mouth.

Yes but, the second time you tag a player it is basically the first amount plus one half. In other words it would cost $15 million and the Chiefs wouldn't do it.

Yep. People are getting too emotionally wrapped in a business transaction.

I normally don't but I am about this one. He's the heart of our team and it will be a huge mistake if he can't be retained. I think it will signify the the beginning of the end of this Chiefs era. The window will immediately start closing. Leadership like that is hard to find. Just my opinion.

Yes but, the second time you tag a player it is basically the first amount plus one half. In other words it would cost $15 million and the Chiefs wouldn't do it.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's not how it works. 2nd year is 120% of prior years salary. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it's not +50%.

I normally don't but I am about this one. He's the heart of our team and it will be a huge mistake if he can't be retained. I think it will signify the the beginning of the end of this Chiefs era. The window will immediately start closing. Leadership like that is hard to find. Just my opinion.

I thought Jamaal Charles was the heart of the team.

They're professionals. They'll get over it. And guess what, they'll still play hard, because they're playing to get millions of dollars.

That was a joke. And I still don't give a shit. They're not going to stop playing hard because berry walks in free agency.

I don't disagree but, they look Lost and leaderless out there to me. You are underestimating this.

If the D doesn't play well without Berry then they all ought to be cut. Sorry but one player on the D should NOT keep them from playing well. I don't care about the heart of a team or the leader of a D, these men are professionals and should play like it. The players knew they may not have him for awhile, shouldn't be an issue.

Leader of the Defense:  Houston, DJ, Hali OR Berry....They all have a very large voice and if one goes down, there are folks to pick up the slack.

Leader of the Offense: Smith & Maclin

The Team is not a mess by any stretch.

Berry will be back soon enough.

w

It looks like an issue to me. One guy doesn't make a team but it's a mess right now imo

That's more due to missing so many of last years starters right now. Missing sean Smith and more importantly Houston is a big deal.

Statistically over the last few years we've been better against the pass when berry is out, but worse against the run.

In the last 10 to 15 years there is also a high correlation between a great pass defense and super bowl appearances. No correlation between great run defense and super bowl appearances.

Leader of the Defense: Houston, DJ, Hali OR Berry....They all have a very large voice and if one goes down, there are folks to pick up the slack.

Leader of the Offense: Smith & Maclin

The Team is not a mess by any stretch.

Berry will be back soon enough.

w

Agreed.

Every time you see the defense getting hyped before a game who is in the middle getting everyone pumped? Houston.

Agreed.

Every time you see the defense getting hyped before a game who is in the middle getting everyone pumped? Houston.

Not this year. Also, every time you see it on TV its Berry - Whether it is pre game or NFL films.

DJ and Hali suck as leaders. That's why Pioli took a bunch of team captains in his drafts.

Archived