Albert Wilson in the Slot

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/6/15/11943210/albert-wilson-seeing-more-time-in-slot-for-kansas-city-chiefs

Albert Wilson seeing more time in slot for Kansas City Chiefs?

By Joel Thorman

If you're a receiver in Andy Reid's offense, you’re going to play more than one position. You’ll be inside and you’ll be outside, you’ll run outs and you’ll ins. The Chiefs receivers are all over the place, which is part of the fun of Reid’s offense.

That said, maybe we can expect a tweak heading into the 2016 season. Alex Smith was talking to the media this week and said something interesting about WR Albert Wilson — he’s seeing more time in the slot.

"With Albert, it’s nice, we’ve moved him around a little bit this offseason, putting him in different situations, moving him inside more,” Alex said via quotes from the Chiefs. “So that’s been a new role for him. That’s a big plate there when you move inside, that’s a lot on your shoulders – especially mentally – and he’s handled it. Been good there, too.”

Wilson is one of those smaller receivers at 5’9 but still 200 pounds so he fits the profile of what you think of when someone says slot receiver. However, Wilson ran most of his routes last year outside, not in the slot.

Fun fact: Albert Wilson only ran 42 routes (10.8%) in the slot for#Chiefs last year. Had 0.5 Yd/Route more in slot than outside.

Statistically, Wilson has been BETTER in the slot than outside by about half a yard per route. Again, though, small sample size.

I would welcome this change if it sticks in the season. Wilson is a tough dude and has the thick body type to handle the physicality on the inside. Plus, this gets another receiver the Chiefs like onto the field.

http://rotoviz.com/2014/03/2014s-most-underrated-albert-wilson/

Albert Wilson is incredibly quick, and agile. He is perfect for the slot. Wilson gets more release in short quarters than in longer releases. 

He needs to learn to sell out for passes. Sometimes, he didn't quite get his feet in bounds, and other times, he failed to stretch out for a pass. Playing inside could help. He has tremendous ability to run after the catch. 

Streater is longer, and can serve as a slot receiver. However, he also has the tools to play in the X, and Z, all because of his top end speed. 

Conley is fast, but performed poorly in the 3 cone, and short shuttle. This would lend one to believe he is best utilized at the Z position. At that spot, the receiver typically plays off the line of scrimmage, allowing the TE to be eligible. With his speed, Conley would be able to take better advantage of his 4.3 speed. 

I thought Conley came on as the season progressed.

I hope Streeter or Mike Williams have something left in the tank....but we have been down "False Hopes Blvd" many times with over the hill veteran WR's.

w

The hated Tyreek Hill may have a say in the starting WR formulation. According to Paylor, and others, Of course, no pads are on, and no one is getting hit. So, he may not pan out at any level. However, his speed, ability to adjust to the ball, and hands would indicate you cannot factor him out.

Currently, only Maclin has secured a starting spot. Maclin seems to be the X, or #1 receiver. I believe Wilson and Streater will share spots at the slot. Streater gains an advantage with his size. while Albert Wilson gains a full yard advantage on most defensive backs with his quickness. Conley seems to be almost strictly a z receiver as does Hill. Hill has exhibited alligator arms in college, when playing in the slot. Conley's combination of size and speed makes him a candidate. Hill's breakaway 4.2 speed makes him a candidate too. 

If I were the Chiefs, I would consider keeping DAT for pr and kr, and reserve Hill for z, except on special occasions, where Hill can provide an extra punch on a return.

Conley, and Wilson worked out a lot during the in between season, and it apparently paid dividends. Reid seems to like Wilson in the slot, and Conley at the Z. Maclin is the X. Streater is getting a lot of snaps at the slot, behind Wilson. If he makes the team, it could be there. Cook was having a good OTA until he got injured, and had to have surgery. Mathews may have a shot at making the team, but is more likely destined to find his shot on thee practice team. Demarcus Robinson is likely a shoe in, as is either Tyreek Hill or De'Anthony Thomas. The Chiefs kept three TEs and 6 WRs last year. Although, they did bring up Parker to fill in at TE for O'Shaughnessy, when he was lost for the rest of the season.

My opinion

Starters - Maclin - X, Wilson - S, Conley - Z

Reserves - Robinson - X/Z, Streater - S

Utility/KR/PR - Hill

On the fence DAT

DAT makes the team two ways. First, he has to be impressive in preseason. Otherwise, all bets are off. If he meets that qualification, he can make it if Hill disappears when the action is for real. He may also make it if Hill does incredibly well at WR. If Hill is a superstar at Z/X/S, there is no way they waste him on special teams, especially if DAT returns to his former self

A word about DAT. DAT was lost last season. He pumped up his styles, and designs as if he was the next Russell Simmons. He needed to concentrate on football. If he finds this key, which is keeping the #1 thing #1, then he may be an asset, rather than the first three letters of that word.

Also, don't be surprised if the Chiefs keep 4 Tight Ends. They will keep Kelce, and Harris. O'Shaughnessy, and Travis will be competing for the last position, and Parker is not that bad either. Travis may be really good. He may have jumped past Harris.

Watch out for mike Williams. Guy was a star in the making in Tampa. Great rookie year.

Not sure what happened after that....

The Chiefs do have options at WR. They are probably in better shape than they have been in a while. I did not mention Mike Williams. He was suspended 6 games while at Buffalo, and really did not do much afterwards. New England brought him in, and did not sign him. So, is he going to add much, or even make the team? I would not count on it, but anything is possible.

Watch out for mike Williams. Guy was a star in the making in Tampa. Great rookie year.

Not sure what happened after that....

His quarterback in his solid 2010 and 2012 seasons was Josh Freeman. In 2010 he played across from a healthy Kellen Winslow. In 2012, Vincent Jackson was Tampa Bay's shiny new free agent acquisition. As a support player, Williams was grossly overpaid on his extension, and I don't think he was ready for the pressure that came with the expectations commensurate with his contract.

He's getting a fresh start. If he's healthy, in football condition, and mentally ready, he'll be playing with the most talented offensive squad he's ever had, and he could be a big boon for a quarterback with plenty of experience throwing to possession receivers. The problem here is that Williams has been out of football for a while, and sometimes the switch sticks when you try to get it back in the 'on' position.

His quarterback in his solid 2010 and 2012 seasons was Josh Freeman. In 2010 he played across from a healthy Kellen Winslow. In 2012, Vincent Jackson was Tampa Bay's shiny new free agent acquisition. As a support player, Williams was grossly overpaid on his extension, and I don't think he was ready for the pressure that came with the expectations commensurate with his contract.

He's getting a fresh start. If he's healthy, in football condition, and mentally ready, he'll be playing with the most talented offensive squad he's ever had, and he could be a big boon for a quarterback with plenty of experience throwing to possession receivers. The problem here is that Williams has been out of football for a while, and sometimes the switch sticks when you try to get it back in the 'on' position.

For sure.

He has all the skills. If this guy returns to form, Watch out.

Williams has shown that he once "had it".

The first question the Chiefs have to ask is "Does he still want it?"  then it comes down to "Can he still do it?"

Trouble we have is that he has yet to take the field....We don't know if KC new he was hurt and this is part of the plan or if the guy is just wasting time.

w

• 4 weeks later...

History suggests it takes about 3 years for most receivers to blossom in Reid's system. This is year 3 for Wilson and year 2 for Conley.

I would only expect incremental improvement for Conley, which is what we saw from Wilson last year. 30 catches would be nice.

Wilson though needs to make a big jump.

I don't have much faith in Conley. I have watched every snap he's ever played in college or pro. He's just not that good. We really over drafted him imo. I don't think Streater will do anything and I don't think Williams will either. He's lost speed. I think Wilson will be the #2 and play in the slot in three WR sets. They will rotate the fast guys as the #2 in the the three WR sets. I think Conley, Robinson, and Hill will rotate out there. This will open the underneath routes to Wilson and Maclin. It will also free up the RB because it will keep the safeties honest. I have serious doubts that Streater or Williams will make the roster. Especially if Wilson steps up like I think he will.

Archived