Will KC Win the AFC West this Year?

Its early, but the roster is tight.  Justin Houston's health is the only major question mark right now.

Given KC has brought in some O-Line help and a number of DB's. I think the team will continue to improve.

Denver has taken a step back.

San Diego is Stationary

The Raiders have taken a step forward.

Right now, I see the Chiefs winning the AFC West.

w

too early..until proven otherwise Denver is still the team to beat even without PePe.  the Raidirts I think are the elephant in the room..they with a few breaks could be the breakout team of the year or they could be the typical Raidirts, then you have the Bolts. I think the division will be separated by just a game or two and Tie breakers. It'll be most important to beat  the Division guys I think this year more than usual.

I'm not super-concerned about Justin Houston. If the Chiefs don't take the AFC West this year, it will be because of key injuries: Specifically to Alex Smith or Jeremy Maclin, and then to the offensive line or defensive front-seven.

The Raiders are the team that could threaten the Chiefs for the division's top spot, but the Chiefs were better before the off-season, and the Raiders didn't improve significantly more than the Chiefs did.

The Raiders had the best draft in the division IMHO.  The added talent and another year's experience could make them the top threat to beat out the Chiefs or Donks.  I'm less worried about SAN.  Best guess today is KC and Denver a toss up with OAK a possibility and the Bolts last.  Injuries will probably decide it.

I am with you Gil....People keep praising Oakland but they have much to prove on the field.

Weren't they 7-9 last year?  Didn't KC beat them 2x....

w

Exactly. Until they do it on Sundays, they are pretenders.

I am with you Gil....People keep praising Oakland but they have much to prove on the field.

Weren't they 7-9 last year?  Didn't KC beat them 2x....

w

Hope you're right, but the Chiefs went from 2-14 to the playoffs the next year.  Teams, like the Royals three years ago, that have upcoming talent sometimes get it together and come out of the blue to win.  OAK seems to be in that mold.  I'm not saying they will become an overnight powerhouse, just saying the potential is there.

Lot's of potential and Del Rio is a very good coach.  I think the Raiders will improve but they will also  need to win 12 games to beat KC.  That is significant.

w

They have to win a majority of their division games, just like every other AFC West team.  Head to head withing the division will be very interesting this year.

I see:

San Diego as "flat to down"

Denver as  "down"

Oakland "Up"

KC "Up"

Yes, its going to be fun, especially if KC can stay healthy and Reid Locks in his O-line during pre-season. 

w

Denver will still have a very good defense. The Chiefs of the mid 90s showed that that's enough to win a lot of games.

Miller said he won't play under the Franchise Tag, they lost several defensive players, Talib will continue to be a distraction. Their D won't be near the squad they were last year and their offense took a backwards step as well.

True Manning's physical skills had demenished but his knowledge of the game and leadership on the field will be missed.

I think KC wins the west. Unless somehow Fitzpatrick lands in Denver, they will struggle to score points. Something makes me uneasy about the Fitz situation. Denver's rookie and Sanchez don't scare me. But...Fitz with those WRs and that D is something I don't want to have to compete against.

Until that happens, I think we rule the West.

The chances of Miller not playing is pretty slim. Players are always threatening not to play and very few actually sit it out. We'll just have to wait on that one, but I'm counting him in.

I know it's not going to happen, but I would absolutely love it if both Fitzpatrick and Miller sit out the season. Go show your teams! ;)

I know we can win it with them playing, but why not?

I wonder if it has ever happened (not counting retirement). Does the team lose the right to franchise them following year? It would be funny if he sat out and they franchised him again.

It would be funny if they franchised him again and he hadn't got paid because he didn't sign it this year. He would've set out, got paid nothing, and then got franchised again. Now obviously, he would've had to not sign the tender. I have heard of somebody signing but then not showing up for parts. In fact, they were talking about Justin Houston signing the franchise tag last year but then refusing to show up until week 10 or something.

I wonder if it has ever happened (not counting retirement). Does the team lose the right to franchise them following year? It would be funny if he sat out and they franchised him again.

If a player refuses to sign a Franchise Tender and sits out a whole season, the franchise may slap a second Franchise Tender on the player, but only the Non-Exclusive type, allowing for other franchises to make an offer at the potential cost of two first-round draft picks.

Well, since they can franchise him again even if he signs and plays, his only option to get free is retire and come back in 2 years I believe. I guess Mr. Miller will just have to scrape by on that $114 million contract.

“It just hurts,” Miller says. “I’m not even going to lie. It’s a business but at the end of the day, I got feelings, too."

Poor feller.

Well, since they can franchise him again even if he signs and plays, his only option to get free is retire and come back in 2 years I believe. I guess Mr. Miller will just have to scrape by on that $114 million contract.

“It just hurts,” Miller says. “I’m not even going to lie. It’s a business but at the end of the day, I got feelings, too."

Poor feller.

If a player retires while under contract, his contract tolls from year to year, and if he decides to request reinstatement, the franchise has sole discretion as to whether they will retain, trade, or release the player. I don't know of an instance where a player "retired", returned, and scored a huge contract. Usually a player has to endure playing under the franchise tag and hope they don't get injured or have a terrible season.

Archived