What would you do?

I wouldn't hate the team, but probably the owners and NFL for destroying such a major part of this area.  STL is a different case.  They paid huge bribes to get the Rams owners to move from LAX and stuck the whole state's taxpayers with much of the bill.  Then they built the white elephant in downtown STL and sold licenses for the seats.  The whole relocation stunk and after their few years of success, people stopped caring.  I don't feel sorry for them.

To me the Chiefs leaving KC would be like the Packers leaving GB.., Its just too intertwined with the community..,

If in all unlikelihood it happened, I would still love the Chiefs but I would hate the owners to my grave..,

The Chiefs are the biggest show in town. If they left I would hate management forever and my interest in them would severely diminish.

This is the right answer. 

Clark Hunt did think about moving the team. However, if he did it was to be across the state line to Kansas. He will not move the team out of the KC area. Since the changes at the stadium, the Chiefs are in good shape for many years. Clark Hunt is young, and I don;t foresee any changes in the next twenty years. 

Hypothetical, would never happen. How would you react if the Chiefs relocated? Hate them? Still love them? Become indifferent?

That is a tough one but, I have been thinking about it this week. I just can't imagine what I would do. I have so much time invested in them I find it hard to believe I would just drop them. However, I would be really pissed off. 

So is the reaction to the hypothetical different by those who live out of the area compared to those who fill the seats here?

Very interesting. I have been a Chiefs fan since I was a child and I've never been to KC. (That will change Oct. 23) The Cardinals moved here to AZ and I couldn't kick the Chiefs to the curb. I'm still a die hard Chiefs fan. I really don't think I would like it if they moved from KC. Even as a Zonie, they just belong to KC. I'd still be a fan though.  

Guest 303Chiefs

This is the right answer.

Clark Hunt did think about moving the team. However, if he did it was to be across the state line to Kansas. He will not move the team out of the KC area. Since the changes at the stadium, the Chiefs are in good shape for many years. Clark Hunt is young, and I don;t foresee any changes in the next twenty years.

Clark is a business man, many of you have said this before. If a good deal were to come along financially, I wouldn't put it past him to relocate. I can't say there isn't any loyalty in sports because there are cases that show there is, but I don't trust Clark. Never have...

Put myself on the list as an organ donor, although I doubt my broken heart would be of much use to anyone.

That's what I would do.

As long as they fill an 80,000 seat stadium, there would be no gain to move anywhere else.

Interesting.  Years ago I was a big Kansas City Kings fan.  Big times and big fun at the Kemper.  I particularly liked Scott Wedman, Phil Ford and Otis Birdsong.   When the Kings moved to Sacramento I stopped following them pretty quickly. I never really hated management for it.  Kansas City just wasn't a big enough market to support them full time.  But the truth is,  once they are out of the local community,  the interest in the team falters.  Once the daily articles about the team are no longer in the KC Star everyday,  your attention span wanders to something else.   Like it or not...it just happens that way. 

Interesting.  Years ago I was a big Kansas City Kings fan.  Big times and big fun at the Kemper.  I particularly liked Scott Wedman, Phil Ford and Otis Birdsong.   When the Kings moved to Sacramento I stopped following them pretty quickly. I never really hated management for it.  Kansas City just wasn't a big enough market to support them full time.  But the truth is,  once they are out of the local community,  the interest in the team falters.  Once the daily articles about the team are no longer in the KC Star everyday,  your attention span wanders to something else.   Like it or not...it just happens that way. 

I liked the little guy Nate Archibald or something like that? I went to a few games and it was enjoyable

I used to go to a lot of those games at Kemper and remember those guys quite well.  I had a circle of friends in KC, and we would meet up there, then go for BBQ afterward.  Good times.  I never gave the Kings a second thought after they moved away.

I used to go to a lot of those games at Kemper and remember those guys quite well.  I had a circle of friends in KC, and we would meet up there, then go for BBQ afterward.  Good times.  I never gave the Kings a second thought after they moved away.

me neither

That's what I would do.

As long as they fill an 80,000 seat stadium, there would be no gain to move anywhere else.

Didn't the Browns fill the stadium in Cleveland before they moved to BAL and became the ravens?   It's all about TV ratings and ad revenue.  The NFL doesn't cater to the paying fans.

Didn't the Browns fill the stadium in Cleveland before they moved to BAL and became the ravens?   It's all about TV ratings and ad revenue.  The NFL doesn't cater to the paying fans.

but wasn't that old Browns stadium much akin to Municipal Stadium?

It was about that old municipal stadium in Cleveland that caused Art Modell to move the Browns to Baltimore.   Cleveland had just built the Indians a new baseball stadium and the usual contributors to box seats didn't renew.  The last year the Browns were in Cleveland,  business was off 40%.  The city fathers of Cleveland fumbled the exchange with Modell and he left for Baltimore.  That old stadium had The Dog Pound and those great teams that Marty Schottenheimer built.

As for the Kings.....weren't they great???  Tiny Archibald,  Jimmy Walker, Sam Lacey,  Lasalle Thompson and Otis Birdsong the starting five the only year the Kings went to playoffs and lost to the Bulls.   Remember the 500 pound guy.."The Big Booster"?  Also had Ron Boone and Phil Ford.   I had so much fun that year I thought they would never leave KC.  Once they did, I pretty quickly forgot about them. 

Damn!  You're right.  Maybe we should worry (as if that would do any good).  The problem for the NFL is that if there are too many moves in favor of the hottest markets, people in general will lose their allegiance and interest. Teams, themselves, would become meaningless.  The whole ball of wax could come crashing down.  The NFL has to maintain some semblance or appearance of loyalty to fan bases.  When general interest drops, so does ad revenue.

Damn!  You're right.  Maybe we should worry (as if that would do any good).  The problem for the NFL is that if there are too many moves in favor of the hottest markets, people in general will lose their allegiance and interest. Teams, themselves, would become meaningless.  The whole ball of wax could come crashing down.  The NFL has to maintain some semblance or appearance of loyalty to fan bases.  When general interest drops, so does ad revenue.

This has been an epidemic with American owned corporations in general. They tend to cater too much to the immediate interest of the stock holders, rather than look at the long term goals. These knee jerk reactions have short term rewards, but long term they cannot sustain their growth, and fail. 

This has been an epidemic with American owned corporations in general. They tend to cater too much to the immediate interest of the stock holders, rather than look at the long term goals. These knee jerk reactions have short term rewards, but long term they cannot sustain their growth, and fail. 

Amen!

You're right.  If the board of directors don't satisfy the shareholders, they are out so when the stockholders think only about today's quotes, the company operates for the short term gain.  Buy and hold has gone out of style and day trading is in.  Yet, from my experience the long term investor usually does much better.

You're right.  If the board of directors don't satisfy the shareholders, they are out so when the stockholders think only about today's quotes, the company operates for the short term gain.  Buy and hold has gone out of style and day trading is in.  Yet, from my experience the long term investor usually does much better.

Absolutely.  It is the core of the reason why corporations do not serve the long term interests of anyone but the quarterly report.  Otherwise, we would be getting our power from the sun and wind instead of coal and oil.  It is the reason that Monsanto, Bayer, Syngenta, etc. would rather poison people and potentially alter their genes rather than finding safe ways to feed people.  The examples are endless.

Absolutely.  It is the core of the reason why corporations do not serve the long term interests of anyone but the quarterly report.  Otherwise, we would be getting our power from the sun and wind instead of coal and oil.  It is the reason that Monsanto, Bayer, Syngenta, etc. would rather poison people and potentially alter their genes rather than finding safe ways to feed people.  The examples are endless.

Deleted original response.  This belongs in the Locker Room.

Archived