Can The Chiefs get something for Knile Davis?

Today's Pigskin (7 July 2016)

Knile Davis found himself in a strange situation last season, observing two lower-profile players take his job just when it became a vital position. The Chiefs then signed their new backups to the same contract extension on the same day.

It is safe to say Jamaal Charles’s once-exclusive backup no longer resides in Kansas City’s plans. He remains on the Chiefs’ 90-man roster, but the team has to be considering a trade, given its solid backfield depth chart.

Davis has vacillated on the matter of 2016 places of employment. The former third-round pick requested a trade out of Kansas City before the Chiefs extended Charcandrick West and Spencer Ware in late March. Then the ex-Arkansas ball-carrier pulled an about-face and expressed the desire to stay in Missouri despite his murky status on the roster.

After 2015, the Chiefs’ backfield is one of the deepest in football. The 24-year-old Davis possesses speed and experience as both a running back — where results have been mixed — and as a return man, where he’s thrived.

The Chiefs may be waiting for an injury to induce another team to part with a higher-end day-three pick in exchange for Davis. However, how many teams need reserve help going into training camp? Where would the youngest back of the Chiefs’ top four fit?

Both the Raiders and Chargers need a backup running back, but it’s safe to assume the Chiefs are not doing business with AFC West rivals. Here’s who else could be a fit.

Atlanta Falcons

A team seeking to return to its previous perch atop the NFC South has its two-deep figured out in Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman. Behind them, nothing but ex-undrafted free agents exist. The Falcons do not have a need at return man, though, considering they still employ the best to ever do it, Devin Hester. However, the need for backfield depth, especially in the event of an injury to Freeman or Coleman, is apparent.

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts are banking on Frank Gore still delivering the goods and not getting hurt. Although the 33-year-old workhorse has been one of the most durable modern backs, Indianapolis has no real insurance if he goes down. Journeymen Robert Turbin and Jordan Todman are expendable backups, and despite Indy paying top UDFA money to Josh Ferguson, the roster is far from formidable behind Gore.

Davis, who rushed for 463 yards and six touchdowns during the first half of the 2014 season, would be an upgrade over Turbin and Todman. With the Colts locked in to win now, this destination makes the most sense.

Miami Dolphins

This is the one team that’s been reported to have checked in on Davis — more precisely, before the draft. The Dolphins actually inquired about all four of the Chiefs’ backs before moving on. Miami studied many possibilities, signing C.J. Anderson to an offer sheet the Broncos matched and whiffing on attempts to land Chris Johnson and James Starks. The ‘Phins drafted Kenyan Drake late but could use a third option behind him and Jay Ajayi.

New England Patriots

Not averse to making depth trades or taking gambles, the Patriots are obviously playing for a Super Bowl title. They have two injury-prone backs atop the depth chart, Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount. Behind them are reserve mainstays James White and Brandon Bolden — neither of which have been impressive to this point.

However, Davis’s fumbling problem would not endear him to Bill Belichick; he has seven in his career despite receiving more than 100 carries just once in three seasons.

San Francisco 49ers

Frequent trade partners over the past two decades, from Alex Smith to Joe Montana to the lose-lose Jon Baldwin-for-A.J. Jenkins swap, the Chiefs and 49ers make sense here. The 49ers are rebuilding, having spent little this offseason, and are now in Chip Kelly’s hands. He wasn’t too afraid to make deals in Philadelphia, but those trades led to his firing. Trent Baalke retained personnel control upon Kelly’s arrival in San Francisco.

Still, Carlos Hyde missed nine games last year to end the season, and the 49ers employ a cast of low-level investments behind him. 2014 fourth-rounder Mike Davis, 2016 sixth-rounder Kelvin Taylor, and former Packer deep backup DuJuan Harris reside in San Francisco. Charles’s previous caddy in Kansas City before Davis, Shaun Draughn, is also here. The 49ers are flush with draft picks for 2017, and it likely wouldn’t take anything higher than a sixth to acquire Davis.Of course, being the rebuilding team they are, trading for a contract-year running back doesn’t provide the smoothest possible fit.

Washington Redskins

If the Colts’ backup depth chart looks sketchy, Washington may have the least-equipped ball-carrying corps in the league.

After Matt Jones, whose 3.4 yards-per-carry rate is worse than Davis’s career 3.5 figure, Chris Thompson appears solidified as a passing-down back, ready to go “Theo Riddick” on everyone. However, rookie seventh-rounder Keith Marshall, who might have been Georgia’s third-string running back if he were still with the Bulldogs this season, could be the Redskins’ No. 2 soon.

An alarming lack of depth exists for a defending division champion, one that does not exactly have a proven answer atop the depth chart as the Colts do.

All everybody will remember is his game-losing fumble against the Patriots.

Seventh-round pick. Maybe even a sixth-round pick. After all, if the Bills gave up a fourth-round pick for Bryce Brown (who was promising as a runner, but has major ball-security issues), maybe a change of pace back and special-teamer coming from a team with three runningbacks already signed long-term could be worth a sixth-round pick.

Guest 303Chiefs

Dude has major skills. If he could just hold on to the damn ball.

Where's Herman Boone when you need him?

5,280 feet! You pick this ball up and run every one of 'em! You're killing me, Petey! You're killing me!

Guest WichtiaZRide

Even if he did have trade value, it would wouldn't matter. Teams know he's 99% possible to get cut, so why waste a pick...

Even if he did have trade value, it would wouldn't matter. Teams know he's 99% possible to get cut, so why waste a pick...

Too bad people aren't worried about him going somewhere else. Two times where teams will trade for a player is one, there's trade value and the team might keep him (or someone else will trade for him) and two, teams think he will be cut but go somewhere else if given the choice. I don't believe we have either. :(

I wouldn't give up a pick for the guy if I were GM of another franchise. The guy has great speed and great size, but negates both because he plays like Jane, is blind as a bat and dances in whatever hole he does find, and fumbles too much.

I think we'll get rid of Charles for cap reasons and keep Davis as the third RB.

If we were to do this, part of me would wish that we had done it earlier so we would've had a bigger cap to make some roster additions, but then the other part of me wouldn't want to go through the whole off-season talking about letting Charles go and I wouldn't want the other team to get him to have more time with him.

If we were to do this, part of me would wish that we had done it earlier so we would've had a bigger cap to make some roster additions, but then the other part of me wouldn't want to go through the whole off-season talking about letting Charles go and I wouldn't want the other team to get him to have more time with him.

They really thought they would be able resign Berry. If they had, they wouldn't be worried about the salary cap. It makes sense to let Charles go.

The Chiefs don't need to let Charles go. They're under the cap. They'll restructure a contract like Alex Smith's if cuts to 75 or 53 opens up an opportunity.

Knile Davis is a player without a role on the team. He's no Charles, and there are other quality kick return and punt return options on the team.

They really thought they would be able resign Berry. If they had, they wouldn't be worried about the salary cap. It makes sense to let Charles go.

Zero chance of that happening at this point. Maybe next year. Things played out exactly as they were meant to. Berry was never getting more than 6-7 per from the Chiefs. And would never have taken 8-9 per. Both sides new this was not happening which is why they weren't working on it.

Next year it would make sense to cut Charles but not this year. Besides, it would have happened already. We have a year to see what we have at S and RB. I can see both gone next year.

The Chiefs expected to sign Berry. They are now only $600,000 under the cap. That is not enough money to go through the season with. They will have to be able to sign veterans after injuries happen. Normally, teams have $4-6 million designated for this. Dorsey has every year he's been GM. 

Dorsey really thought he'd get a deal done with Berry. As a result, he didn't draft a safety and he didn't address the cap. Maybe someone will restructure? However, there is a very real possibility we cut Charles. We have two starting RBs without him and he's coming off his second ACL. Plus, the offense was better without him last year. It forced Reid to be creative. Honestly, I almost hope he gets cut. I'd rather go with Ware and West.

Do  you think the Chiefs should flip Berry for a 1st round pick right now?

Pick up a street FA like Bacarri Rambo, who developed nicely under Rex Ryan when he went to Buffalo, to fill the void...

Just a thought. 

Pick up a street FA like Bacarri Rambo, who developed nicely under Rex Ryan when he went to Buffalo, to fill the void...

Just a thought.

No, I really like Berry. I liked him at Tennesee and really wanted to draft him. I mocked him to KC and he's been great . I can't trade Berry! Lol

Just a thought. 

Who would play across from Ron Parker? Maybe between the corners and the safeties there is someone capable.

The biggest reason to keep Berry would be that the Chiefs have already let go on Sean Smith. I'm relieved that the Chiefs didn't pay Berry like the league's top safety, but he's not exactly easily replaced in one off-season.

I'm inclined to say that Eric Berry for 2016 + 2018 third-round compensatory pick > 2017 first-round draft pick.

The Chiefs expected to sign Berry. They are now only $600,000 under the cap. That is not enough money to go through the season with. They will have to be able to sign veterans after injuries happen. Normally, teams have $4-6 million designated for this. Dorsey has every year he's been GM.

Dorsey really thought he'd get a deal done with Berry. As a result, he didn't draft a safety and he didn't address the cap. Maybe someone will restructure? However, there is a very real possibility we cut Charles. We have two starting RBs without him and he's coming off his second ACL. Plus, the offense was better without him last year. It forced Reid to be creative. Honestly, I almost hope he gets cut. I'd rather go with Ware and West.

We have no evidence of this. Berry was even complaining in the media that they weren't trying. The cap space is there when we cut Mauga, DAT, Davis. Cutting Streater saves $4.7 mill. Zombo saves a mill. There are guys who will not make this team. We are right where we need to be.

Do you think the Chiefs should flip Berry for a 1st round pick right now?

Just a thought.

I was kind of curious how that works with a Franchised player. If a team gives up 2 firsts, they got him. But can we give him up for less or is 2 firsts set in stone?

I was kind of curious how that works with a Franchised player. If a team gives up 2 firsts, they got him. But can we give him up for less or is 2 firsts set in stone?

Any team in the league could have negotiated with Eric Berry until July 15. I never heard that any team actually reached out to him to do so, and it was probably because Big Contract + Two First Round Draft Picks = Overpaying for a Safety. The Chiefs can trade Eric Berry for anything they would like. The problem is Big Contract + One First Round Draft Pick = Overpaying for a Safety.

The Chiefs can't get what Berry is worth in trade, and so Berry will be a Chief in 2016.

Who would play across from Ron Parker? Maybe between the corners and the safeties there is someone capable.

The biggest reason to keep Berry would be that the Chiefs have already let go on Sean Smith. I'm relieved that the Chiefs didn't pay Berry like the league's top safety, but he's not exactly easily replaced in one off-season.

I'm inclined to say that Eric Berry for 2016 + 2018 third-round compensatory pick > 2017 first-round draft pick.

Stevie Brown and Rambo would both have starting experience in that scenario.

Archived