Nick Foles Released

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we have now come a long way since seeing Mike McGlynn run through the tunnel as a starter.

I'm excited to see how Alex Smith will be this upcoming year with more comfort under his skin. I believe he can throw the deepball when he's relaxed, something which has been absent due to the rebuilding of the line. I have plenty of faith and hope to see it.

Yes a 20 yard pass completion can be either a catch and tackle or a catch for 10 yards and run another 10 yards before being tackled so it's tough to analyze completions where the ball is actually in the air 20 yards before being caught. I have no idea where that can be found or how

Charting data is a very valuable asset just by virtue of the time it takes to record it. It's not commonly made available to the public in its most detailed form.

nfl.com actually distinguishes between "short" and "deep" passes, with deep passes traveling at least 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. I might be able to get you that data soon.

Until Maclin, Alex Smith really did not have a reliable receiver to throw to with the Chiefs. How could he go long if no one was good enough to battle for a pass?

Yup we realized he never had enough time either. This is the year with all of the pieces. No more excuses my chiefs

Yup we realized he never had enough time either. This is the year with all of the pieces. No more excuses my chiefs

The Chiefs are going deep this year. They are working on it in practice. They were held up a bit by the OL, and the WR combinations. That is why NE slowed down KCs offense in the playoffs.

I think Alex will run the ball less. He ran for 498 yards last season, which is his best in his career. It was his best year in his career in the NFL. I think he will run for less yards this season. Teams got cut up by his runs. He was fortunate to escape for large gains, and fortunate not to take the big hit. I think the Chiefs want him to run, but would be happy with around 200 yards rushing. By passing longer routes, the Chiefs could have as many attempts, and gain quite a few more yards on the ground.

Streeter, Wilson, Conley, Hill, Robinson, and Maclin can play any position on the field. They can all run fast. Hill is a 4.2 guy, with unbelievable quickness. Conley is second fastest, but is not as quick as Wilson. Maclin has it all (speed, quickness, hands, route running, and body control). The Chiefs have four running backs, all of which can run, and catch a pass. West is almost good enough of a route runner as to be considered a WR. He has great hands, and is very quick. Same goes for Charles, who is a stronger runner, has ideal timing, and balance. The Chiefs also have three or four good pass catching TEs. Kelce is the best, but I put newcomer, Travis Ross #2. He has ideal size, speed, and catching ability. He is smart, and has learned the game in his second season. Harris has ideal size as well. he is a better blocker, but can snag a pass.

Let's take a look at the talent at TE

Travis Kelce runs a decent 40, but it is his 3 cone, size, and ability to use his body that makes the difference. He is better than ever this year.

Ross Travis is slightly faster than Kelce, has excellent mobility. I don't have a timed 3 cone, but he seems to be capable of times similar to Kelce. He is 6'7" and has a nice vertical. He has soft hands, and has been a hit at training camp.

Demetrius Harris blocks better than all the rest. He ran 4.5 in the 40, which was quicker than Jimmy Graham. His vertical leap was 2 inches shorter. Graham has longer arms by 3/4 inch, and Graham weighs 20 lbs more than Demetrius. However, Harris is a better blocker, and is one inch taller at 6'7".

Finally, O'Shaghnessy was hurt last season, but exhibited good hands before getting hurt. He is a tad slower than Kelce, and is only 6'4", but weighs 245 lbs. As with the rest, Shag has good hops, and body control. He can place both hands within 3 inches of the top of the box on a basketball backboard at the same time. His hips are a little tight, but for the third or fourth best TE, he is really good. 

Also ran, Brian Parker is good enough to make most teams. He is 4'4' and weighs 265 lbs. He is more of a blocking TE, who has decent speed 4.75 in the 40. His hands are not very good. This is a situation where the European football league could have helped him. He played DE in HS. I heard he had a nose for the ball. I'd try to convert him to OLB. It's probably too late. Some team will likely give him a try, but I don't think there is a spot for him on this team... not this year.

If healthy, predictions:

360 attempts

68% accuracy

313 completions

8.6 yards per attempt

3956 passing yards

247 yards per game

26 touch downs

8 interceptions

200 yards rushing on 46 attempts. and 2 rushing td.  passer rating will be around 108.

The Chiefs will win 11 to 12 games if Alex stays healthy, and the team continues to stay consistent.

I think Alex will run the ball less. He ran for 498 yards last season, which is his best in his career. It was his best year in his career in the NFL. I think he will run for less yards this season. Teams got cut up by his runs. He was fortunate to escape for large gains, and fortunate not to take the big hit. I think the Chiefs want him to run, but would be happy with around 200 yards rushing. By passing longer routes, the Chiefs could have as many attempts, and gain quite a few more yards on the ground.

I will add that it's not particularly good for quarterbacks to run a lot if they're going to be expected to pass. You don't want them pumped full of adrenaline because they're constantly on the run. The better defenses don't get out of sorts if they allow a couple scrambles that convert for first downs or even get a touchdown, and against such, running out of the pocket constantly represents a possible short-term gain and a probable long-term loss. This is one of the reasons I'm down on all quarterbacks that get challenged by defenses to run. The defenses can rotate their defenders if their players get winded, but the offense can't easily take out their quarterback.

Two or three hundred yards on designed runs might be OK. Two or three hundred yards on scrambles out of the pocket are not so great. Of course running is better than taking a bad hit trying to stand tall in the pocket. In any case, a capable offensive line means a consistent and productive passing game.

Archived