Eric Berry is not the bad guy!

He'll probably miss a couple of practice games, report and not be ready for the third game and then be in regular routine.  I hope the Chiefs find a good replacement rather than be held hostage to Berry's agent's demands.  Overpaying a few players won't get the Chiefs to a long term winning record.

Eric Berry is a nonexclusive franchise player who has not yet signed his contract. As of July 15, the hands are pretty much tied. He cannot play for any other team, unless the Chiefs release him from their franchise agreement. He can sign it, and play on the first day of the season. If so, he will not be penalized because he is currently not under a contract. With every day he misses thereafter, Berry surrenders that portion of his contract. In other words, for every game Berry does not sign the contract, he loses $635,000. That only plays into the hands of the Chiefs. They save that money in cap gain for the following year.

It is very likely the Chiefs are going to sign Eric Berry for one year, and let him go after 2016. He did not get one other team to draw interest. Normally, when teams have permission to negotiate, they will do so, even if there is a standing franchise tag. The franchise tag means nothing. If a team wanted Eric Berry, the Chiefs could have made a deal, and circumvented the system. No team came looking. Beyond the hoopla of Berry's return from cancer, he really does not have much leverage. The Chiefs could release him from his franchise situation. They will not do this.

Why is Eric Berry doing this? He is following his agent's wishes. The contract negotiations are over this year, but they can still work on something for next time. Normally, agents try to get the team to not franchise them the second time. This is important only when the team needs a player to come in. They don't need Berry. He can sign his paperwork and be ready on game one. Also, the Chiefs are getting a look at Sorensen, and so far, what they see is pretty good. Parker signed a contract to play FS. Berry really is too small to play SS, and he does not cover well enough to play FS. He is a tweener, who plays better in the Chiefs' system better than he would anywhere else. They also like to get their guy a chance to skip training camp. They may have done that anyway. Currently, Hali is getting to skip camp. Reid is pretty good with the vets, so he really does not gain much here.

I expect Eric Berry to return before the final preseason game. He will sign the franchise agreement, and play this season. At the end of the season, if he does not get injured, they will offer him a four year contract. The Chiefs will play in a three safety formation, and I predict his numbers will be down. At 28, he will be hard pressed to get a better contract than he would have this year. A3 probably tried too hard to get a better contract than Berry was worth. He will not get the same offer next year.

Kam Chancellor is slower, but bigger, and a bigger hitter. He is quite a bit slower than Berry, and Berry plays in space better. He signed a 4 year extension worth $28 Million

Earl Thomas is smaller, but a better player at getting to the ball. While Kam is the SS, Thomas is the FS, and he signed a four year extension worth $40 M. Earl Thomas is a bigger play maker, so far in his career

Looking at either player, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas, both can make a statement that they are better in some ways than Eric Berry. Berry does more things better, but not specific things

I think Eric Berry is worth close to $10 M per season. I would have offered something close to this 4/28/2014: Signed a five-year, $44.725 million contract. The deal contains $27.725 million guaranteed, including a $9.5 million signing bonus. 2016: $8 million, 2017-2018: $8.5 million, 2019: Free Agen

Add 10% to each, and that would be a fair offer. $50 M over 5 years. $32 M guaranteed, and a $12 M signing bonus. I think that is close to the offer, yet the A3 wanted much more. They may have to settle for a four year extension worth $36 M, $22 guaranteed, and a $8 M signing bonus. They got greedy, and they lost.

Its a business.  SAT (Simple As That).  Berry's representative has thoroughly discussed the pros and cons of taking the risk he is taking. Eric decides.  The Chiefs are being cautious with regards to the guaranteed part of the proposal...and they should be. Berry has a history of Hodgkins AND injury.  The Chiefs should be financially cautious.  Berry needs to be a little more cautious.  Fans need to be more cautious in their wishes.

⧌ !

First choice:  Sign Berry to a reasonable long term deal.  That's already gone.

Second choice:  Let him play under the franchise tag this year and let him go if he doesn't sign a contract.

Third choice:  Find a capable safety and move on.  Of all the all-pro players on the team, Berry is the least important.

This brings me back to the days when the Patriots had Ty Law and Lawyer Malloy. They were trying to get Malloy to take a pay cut. They ended up signing 8-year vet Rodney Harrison. When Malloy didn't take the pay cut, the Pats cut him and rolled with Harrison. Ty Law was cut two years later because of his salary. 

So here we are with the Chiefs letting Sean Smith walk because of money, kind of like Law. Meanwhile, they are having contract struggles with a young, good safety, kind of like Malloy. They signed a capable veteran safety in Brown, kind of like Harrison (although Harrison was a much better player).

Belichek never overpaid for too long for a player, and it's damn good practice to follow.

The Patriots were fine. I think the Chiefs would be fine too. 

Can they still rescind the tag?

Not a lot of reason to do that.  They'll pay the $10 million for one more year.  Only reason to rescind would be if they think there's a very good replacement already on the roster.  Next season is a different.  Tagging him again would be very expensive and by that time, they have more important uses for the cap space.

They can, but even if you don't think Eric Berry is worth breaking the bank for long-term, there are plenty of business reasons to keep Berry under the tag for one year.

I agree.  I was just wondering what their options are if he holds out beyond pre-season.

Guest Okiechief1

I am not sure their is a date they have to rescind it by. I know when Andy was with Philly he did it twice with one of them being during the pre season. That was under the old CBA where the rules were different though.

Still think he will sign and show up somewhere around the 3rd preseason game. If he hasn't signed or indicated he will sign by the 4th preseason game I heavily consider it at that point cause we can roll over the money to next year or use it to get Poe signed.

I like Berry. He is a very good player.

That said, I REALLY like Dorsey.  This guy is smart and he does not get emotional.  Its a business and he looks at it as a business.

Dorsey looks at ALL sides of every issue and then makes a logical decision.  No emotion, no grand standing...just quality decision after quality decision.  He is an excellent executive.

w

I like Berry. He is a very good player.

That said, I REALLY like Dorsey.  This guy is smart and he does not get emotional.  Its a business and he looks at it as a business.

Dorsey looks at ALL sides of every issue and then makes a logical decision.  No emotion, no grand standing...just quality decision after quality decision.  He is an excellent executive.

w

Yep.

I love Berry.  But, he is not worth the payday he wants.

Archived