Eric Fisher signs extension

He is now the highest paid o-linemen in the NFL....WOW

I guess you gotta pay it because he plays a premium position. He played well last year and seems to be getting better. I am cool with it. Glad our first overall pick will be around for a while... That is a good sign IMO.

Is he? That's not what overthecap.com shows. He's around ninth-tenth in average salary, behind Russell Okung, although Okung's contract doesn't become significant unless he's on the Seahawks' roster in 2017.

I like the signing. You need someone for the blind side, regardless of which side the defense's best pass rushers line up on. Hopefully in a year or two he will be considered a value at his contract cost.

This might mean that both Dontari Poe and Eric Berry are done in Kansas City after this season. The Chiefs are almost at the limit of the number of premiere contracts that they can afford to carry without selling out the entire roster by 2019. On the other hand, the Chiefs have set themselves up for stability on the offensive line for years to come, a necessity that they were far from attaining when John Dorsey and Andy Reid took over the team in 2013.

I don't believe that Smith is about to start slinging the ball everywhere, but with an offensive line that may soon be able to pass block almost as well as it can run block, the Chiefs' offense could actually start being highly productive. That in turn would limit the need for run-stopping nose tackles and run-stopping safeties, abilities that would diminish in value if the Chiefs are pressuring opposing offenses by jumping out to early leads. In the end, the Chiefs may have just crested the hump when it comes to being a team that wins by scoring rather than being a team that wins by preventing the score.

I approve.

I guess you gotta pay it because he plays a premium position. He played well last year and seems to be getting better. I am cool with it. Glad our first overall pick will be around for a while... That is a good sign IMO.

Star has him tied for 3rd behind Trent Williams and terron armstead. Tied with Tyron Smith. Looks like overthecap has not updated their numbers for fisher yet.

These rankings are based on yearly average btw. For fisher you have to include the 5th year option, as this extension should kick in after that.

The 5th year option is rolled into the extension, so yty could be lower when avg'd out.

Therefore his extension now has his contract running six years at roughly $63 million, or $10.5 million per year. That's less than a lot of tackles.

The contract benefits Eric Fisher because he gets new money. The contract benefits the Chiefs if Eric Fisher closes on the potential that resulted in him being drafted first overall in 2013. Whenever I see the word "guarantee", I ignore it until I see the details, as so many "guarantees" aren't fully guaranteed at the time the contract is signed.

About the 7th or 8th according to over the cap.

I like the mean streak we started to see last year. Plus he played pretty well and is getting better. If they would have waited 2 years to do this it would have cost much more.

Good move. I think that it is worth seeing Poe play if he won't give a discount. I would like to see him play this year before giving him that kind of payday I think he will get.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so behind on Chiefs news I know I'm bumping this older thread. I will leave it to you guys who say this is a good deal, because I don't know much about that. I'm glad he got signed. He may never live up to being the number one overall pick, but I agree that he did play better last season, especially near the last part.

I'm so behind on Chiefs news I know I'm bumping this older thread. I will leave it to you guys who say this is a good deal, because I don't know much about that. I'm glad he got signed. He may never live up to being the number one overall pick, but I agree that he did play better last season, especially near the last part.

In reality how many really do?

First round, first overall only matters when the player is drafted. After that, he is just another guy who is added to the team. People put so much emphasis on where a player was taken. It is a good standard to see if the team got value for their selection, but even that is not fair. It normally takes several years to determine if a player is good. Every year is different. Some years are better. Players are taken according to their overall worth, but teams always look to fit needs, even though they profess to pick the best available guy.

Lane Johnson was thought to be the better choice after one year. Who thinks that now? Apparently, he got a good deal of his success from a bottle. I thought Joeckel was better, but he has hardly played. He may not even stick with his current team. Dion Jordan was taken third, and he is doped up. By the time we look back at it, Fisher may end up being a pretty good pick. I was a huge fan of DeAndre Hopkins. but most people were not willing to take a WR that early, and the Chiefs urgently needed a replacement for Albert, who has not fared well since moving to Miami.

Except for can't miss QBs like the Mannings, Luck or Elway, top picks are over rated.  Dorsey must agree since this year in the draft he kept saying there is good quality in day two picks and traded down.  Even when a team targets a first round pick and celebrate when he falls to them, a high percentage fade out.

Therefore his extension now has his contract running six years at roughly $63 million, or $10.5 million per year. That's less than a lot of tackles.

The contract benefits Eric Fisher because he gets new money. The contract benefits the Chiefs if Eric Fisher closes on the potential that resulted in him being drafted first overall in 2013. Whenever I see the word "guarantee", I ignore it until I see the details, as so many "guarantees" aren't fully guaranteed at the time the contract is signed.

I sent you a private message.

Fisher got his tail whipped a couple times against the Rams. The Chiefs have to do something about their LG. Morse, and Fisher had to help out Ehinger, and it ended up causing them to make mistakes. Fisher moved inside a little too much, and the DE went right by him. The Chiefs only have one spot to fix, but they must find someone who can hold up. My guess is Jah Reid, but Ehinger is not going to match up well against bigger players this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived