Aqib Talib could be suspended 8 Games

KC Warpaint

Bradley Roby, starting cornerback for the Denver Broncos. NFL fans should get used to hearing that, because it may soon become a reality.

Aqib Talib, the cornerback above Roby on Denver’s depth chart, could face a suspension of up to eight games, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said on 104.3 The Fan on Monday afternoon.

“.@AdamSchefter tells us a knowledgeable party said to him: ‘I don’t see how this is less than 8 games,’ regarding Talib suspension,” The Fan said in a tweet that has since been deleted (the text can still be read here).

Talib was shot in his right leg at (or near) a Dallas nightclub on June 10. After the shooting, Talib told police he was too intoxicated to remember who shot him. He also told friends close to him that he accidentally shot himself. Those two stories obviously do not match up, so a media member asked Talib directly if he shot himself after practice Monday.

“The situation is still under review and we have to respect that process,” Talib said. “I’m not going to talk about that right now, but I feel great. I did some one-on-ones today. I felt pretty good on the field.”

If Talib shot himself at a nightclub while intoxicated, Texas law states that he could face up to ten years in prison. But if no weapon is found and the shooter remains unknown, there may be no evidence for police to use against Talib.

Even if Talib avoids legal trouble, he could still face discipline from the NFL for “conduct detrimental” to the league. NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy told Broncos Wire in a July email that Talib’s situation “remains under review.”

If the league does suspend Talib, it could be for eight games or more, per Schefter. Roby and Chris Harris Jr. would start in his absence.
Related:

• 3 weeks later...

Its Talib...nothing will happen....

I don't understand how someone as pathetic and dirty as Talib continues to go unpunished for all his actions.  I believe this is the THIRD time he has been in a Dallas nightclub and a shooting has occured.  The first time it sounds like it had absolutely nothing to do with him.  Last year, Aquib and his brother started a fight that prompted the shooting.  This year, details are sketchy, but he seems to have started another fight and shot himself...yet nothing handed down by the league....we are a month later and still have heard nothing on this....he's gonna get off scott free once again...

Archived