Offensive Line

I don't know how many of you have been following the action at the camp, but one thing is becoming clear. Despite hackles for Laurent Duvernay-Laurent to fail, the doctor has brought his game. Larry, as the players call him has brought his lunch pail

On one on one contests, LDT has been matched up against Poe, and Howard. How has he done? He stoned them. A few days back, Poe did his signature move, where he crosses over, and does a Reggie White imitation by getting the player to go one way, ripping, and bursting through the opposite direction. He has beat a lot of very good players with this move. LDT was treated to the same monstrous abuse. LDT stepped back, reset his feet, and absolutely pushed Poe to the ground. Poe took offense, and pushed back at LDT as he stood up. LDT did not waiver. Howard stepped in to help Poe out. LDT did not retreat. He has an attitude this year, guys. He learned the system. He has learned to play the game. He has amazing physical strength, and athleticism. LDT is in his third season, and he has come to play.

Today, it was another chance for Howard to match up against LDT. Howard is a strong man. Poe and Howard are supposed to be the biggest bruisers on this team. It did not go well for Howard. LDT treated him like a red headed step child. No, Howard did not get pancaked. However, LDT took the best Howard had to offer, and came out on top. I think we have secured the right side of the line.

Fisher LT is better. He is finally getting it.

Ehringer LG is a rookie. He lacks ideal size, and strength. He has the kind of frame that can add on another 15 to 20 pounds, easily. He will get stronger. He has good feet, and technique is above average

Mitch Morse C underrated rookie. Came in, and became a top three Center in the NFL as a rookie. If he can stay healthy, we are set.

LDT RG  Future perennial pro bowl player. Young. Strong, Smart, Tough, Athletic. Might make his first trip to Hawaii this year (if he isn't playing in the SB).

Mitchell Schwartz - RT  The best RT in the NFL.

As things stand, the only concerns for me are the health of Morse, and the ability of Ehringer to deal with larger NFL players. If he can fit the spot, and the line stays healthy, Alex Smith might cross the 4K barrier in yards thrown.

sad to say but I quit reading the chiefs propaganda on training camp. Its all sunshine up the kazoo and the praises about the girlfriend strangler  is just enough to make me puke. i dont get to listen to the sports talk radio like before to get some  "unbiased" reviews so I just wait and see for myself when the pads start popping against another colored jersey

sad to say but I quit reading the chiefs propaganda on training camp. Its all sunshine up the kazoo and the praises about the girlfriend strangler  is just enough to make me puke. i dont get to listen to the sports talk radio like before to get some  "unbiased" reviews so I just wait and see for myself when the pads start popping against another colored jersey

First test is Saturday. Seattle has a very tough defense.

I don't put stock into how they are doing, but I like to see what they are spending time on. A lot of talk about deep pass work. Smith was 29/30 today, but that was against the Number 2 defense and not full speed - but it's better than working on screens (which are important and effective, but we've worked on that a lot already).

Ldt flashed a lot in the pre-season last year, so I saw the potential in him. Looks like a year of film to evaluate has done him some good.

I think the tackle spots are both solid and Morse is solid, although I am concerned about his concussions and playing Center. I don't have a good feeling about the LG spot, though. I still think the line would of been great if they slid Morse over to LG and had Fulton in at Center.

It's not time to anoint this line with the same ability of the 1990s five, but at least there should be continuity and there's more talent than the past few years.  They don't have to be all world, just not below average like Smith's first two years here.   If they jell into a good line, the offense will be very good.  I think the receivers are no longer a liability and with the line giving Smith a fraction second more time, things should roll. 

sad to say but I quit reading the chiefs propaganda on training camp. Its all sunshine up the kazoo and the praises about the girlfriend strangler is just enough to make me puke. i dont get to listen to the sports talk radio like before to get some "unbiased" reviews so I just wait and see for myself when the pads start popping against another colored jersey

He would be getting the same praise if he was innocent so let's drop it please. If he does it again he's out.

My fear for Smith was his survival. At first, it seemed he was doomed. The offense was adapted, and Smith learned to survive with a poor offensive line. He gained a lot of yards last year when the offensive line broke down. This ability to run has enabled him to stay fairly healthy. Teams must make sure there are no gaps for him to take advantage of, and this means the rush is often less aggressive. When the rush is too aggressive, Alex Smith gashed them for huge amounts of yards. Still, he was sacked 45 times last season, which matched the all time high of 45 sacks the year before. Alex Smith has been sacked 129 times in his first three years with the Chiefs. What makes matters worse is he attempted only 1442 passes in this span. In other words, Alex Smith is sacked 1 time every 11 plays. The Chiefs were 27th in the number of plays per drive last year. One part of this is due to the number of sacks on Alex Smith. When a QB is sacked one time for every two drives, the team has an issue.

My biggest concerns are the injury status of players, especially Morse, and Ehinger at LG. Fulton can back up Morse, but he is not athletic enough to complete blocks, and this limits production. Jah Reid is tough, but makes a lot of mistakes for a vet. The Chiefs have no suitable replacement for Fisher, and no real swing tackle. So, injuries can crush the line. Mitch Schwartz is likely to have to replace Fisher, should he be injured. Fisher does seem to miss at least one game due to injury every year. Jah Reid is the likely replacement for Mitch Schwartz at RT, and that is not a good thing for Alex. Reid is also a likely back up to LDT.

Still, the fact remains, Alex Smith fared much better than he did at the end of 2014, when he could not finish the season due to a severed spleen. Having mix and match WRs that can take a quick pass to the house is a big help too. When receivers get open quickly, the QB is not nearly as likely to get crunched (see Peyton Manning). Despite my objections to Hill, he is a quick twitch receiver. If you press him too hard, he is likely to run past you. If you don't his 4.2 speed will kill any defender in the league. It is my opinion T Hill should start opposite Maclin. I would not waste him at KR or PR. In my world, DAT runs back punts, and Knile Davis runs back kick offs. Maclin, Hill, Streater, Wilson, Conley, and DAT are my receivers. Kelce, Travis, Harris, and maybe Shag are my TE group. RBs Charles, West, Ware, and Davis can catch the ball as well. I don't know how teams will stop that lineup if they play to their ability, and the line holds. Smith survived, and now is the time for him to really start putting up numbers.

I love the Schwartz signing. It was a huge signing. Alex is most comfortable rolling out to his right. He will have a big impact on the offense.

I like what I read about LDT. Last week he and Poe got into a fight. He and Fisher are nasty and I like it. We have were missing that for a while.

I have a feeling Ehringer will be fine at guard. If he isn't, we know Fulton is solid enough to start.

I worry about the depth at tackle. We are good at guard and center with Fulton and Reid.  I don 't think they would move Schwartz if Fisher went down. However, can you imagine if Reid had to play LT? That's who has been practicing as Fisher's back up. What about Ehringer? That could be a disaster. Offensive tackle depth should be a real concern. Fisher has missed several games in his short career. Keep an eye on those back up tackles in the preseason games. They might be important down the road.

It is clear to me that Reid and Company see good things in this O-Line.

Why? 

Because they are not doing the "KC shuffle" with these guys like in years past.  The "KC shuffle" is done two ways.  1. Dorsey is famous for shuffling guys on and off the roster.  He does it all the time.  It looks like they like LDT and he is rewarding them.  2. Reid is famous for "shuffling" guys all across the line.  This year it is all STABILITY.

I am very pleased as we need to get a fast start this season vs years past.

I think this team has Super Bowl Aspirations.....The Foles signing showed me all the cards I needed to see.

This post does not mean I think they will win the SB...but I do think they can win the Division and if they do not get to the SB, this will be a bad year.

w

I don't know how many of you have been following the action at the camp, but one thing is becoming clear. Despite hackles for Laurent Duvernay-Laurent to fail, the doctor has brought his game. Larry, as the players call him has brought his lunch pail

On one on one contests, LDT has been matched up against Poe, and Howard. How has he done? He stoned them. A few days back, Poe did his signature move, where he crosses over, and does a Reggie White imitation by getting the player to go one way, ripping, and bursting through the opposite direction. He has beat a lot of very good players with this move. LDT was treated to the same monstrous abuse. LDT stepped back, reset his feet, and absolutely pushed Poe to the ground. Poe took offense, and pushed back at LDT as he stood up. LDT did not waiver. Howard stepped in to help Poe out. LDT did not retreat. He has an attitude this year, guys. He learned the system. He has learned to play the game. He has amazing physical strength, and athleticism. LDT is in his third season, and he has come to play.

Today, it was another chance for Howard to match up against LDT. Howard is a strong man. Poe and Howard are supposed to be the biggest bruisers on this team. It did not go well for Howard. LDT treated him like a red headed step child. No, Howard did not get pancaked. However, LDT took the best Howard had to offer, and came out on top. I think we have secured the right side of the line.

Fisher LT is better. He is finally getting it.

Ehringer LG is a rookie. He lacks ideal size, and strength. He has the kind of frame that can add on another 15 to 20 pounds, easily. He will get stronger. He has good feet, and technique is above average

Mitch Morse C underrated rookie. Came in, and became a top three Center in the NFL as a rookie. If he can stay healthy, we are set.

LDT RG  Future perennial pro bowl player. Young. Strong, Smart, Tough, Athletic. Might make his first trip to Hawaii this year (if he isn't playing in the SB).

Mitchell Schwartz - RT  The best RT in the NFL.

As things stand, the only concerns for me are the health of Morse, and the ability of Ehringer to deal with larger NFL players. If he can fit the spot, and the line stays healthy, Alex Smith might cross the 4K barrier in yards thrown.

"No excuse" time for Alex, now.  I think Alex is up to it.  My worry is the two concussions Morse has had already.  He had been great at C because of the way he uses his head as a ram.  If he keeps it up, he will end up like MIke Webster.  One more concussion, and he is done as a center...or should be.  If the Chiefs were medically smart, they would move him to G now instead of playing Ehringer and find a "decent"center from guys already on the team who have C experience and use their head differently.

It is clear to me that Reid and Company see good things in this O-Line.

Why? 

Because they are not doing the "KC shuffle" with these guys like in years past.  The "KC shuffle" is done two ways.  1. Dorsey is famous for shuffling guys on and off the roster.  He does it all the time.  It looks like they like LDT and he is rewarding them.  2. Reid is famous for "shuffling" guys all across the line.  This year it is all STABILITY.

I am very pleased as we need to get a fast start this season vs years past.

I think this team has Super Bowl Aspirations.....The Foles signing showed me all the cards I needed to see.

This post does not mean I think they will win the SB...but I do think they can win the Division and if they do not get to the SB, this will be a bad year.

w

Very good point about the "KC Shuffle" West. Reid has shuffled the line throughout training camp every year but this one...

Very good point about the "KC Shuffle" West. Reid has shuffled the line throughout training camp every year but this one...

The problem is the under developed rookie at LG.  Maybe the staff has overreacted to find stability.   Reid may do a shuffle if that doesn't work out.  

The problem is the under developed rookie at LG.  Maybe the staff has overreacted to find stability.   Reid may do a shuffle if that doesn't work out.  

You gotta remember though, guard is his natural position. He played tackle the last couple of years. I think he'll be alright there. The preseason should show us something.

Fulton is still on the roster......These guys get better every year....The O-Line played very well the 2nd half of last year.

w

Fulton get the job done, but cannot get to the next level. I wish I had some video to show you. A lot of yards were left ungained when he was on the field, because he was not athletic enough to move to the next part of his blocking assignment quickly. He has slow feet. You cannot fix that. He will not get better with more practice. Fulton is a journeyman, backup offensive lineman. There is nothing wrong with that. You need guys who can fill in. He is not, nor will he ever be a starter. If he is a starter for very long, that means the team will be in really bad shape.

ZachFulton-2014.jpg
Zach Fulton
OL #73
Height: 6-5 Weight: 316 Age: 24 College: Tennessee Hometown: Homewood, IL Experience: 3

He is still a young kid.....

w

He is a good player, and the Chiefs are lucky to have him. I hope they have him for a long  time.

You gotta remember though, guard is his natural position. He played tackle the last couple of years. I think he'll be alright there. The preseason should show us something.

I have no problem with drafting him and think he could be a long term starter.  What's less certain is whether he's ready to step in as a starter today, before he adds a few pounds and gets some pro experience.  Guess we gotta trust Reid to play the best available.

Big Red was a O-Line guy when he played...

Stability is the key with solid backups....I think the Chiefs are getting there....

Here is the current Depth Chart from Chiefs.Com

LT Eric Fisher Zach Sterup Reid Fragel   LG Parker Ehinger Jarrod Pughsley Daniel Munyer   C Mitch Morse Zach Fulton Drew Nowak   RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif Jordan Devey Garrick Mayweather   RT Mitchell Schwartz Jah Reid Curtis Feigt

We'll see what happens. I have serious reservations about Ehinger. When I watched him play guard in college, he had alot of problems sticking to blocks in the run game. He's long, and he lunges alot as a result. He's also lacking alot of strength to hold up against NFL pass rushers. 

ZachFulton-2014.jpg

Zach Fulton

OL #73 Height: 6-5 Weight: 316 Age: 24 College: Tennessee Hometown: Homewood, IL Experience: 3

He is still a young kid.....

w

I have to agree with E here. Fulton is a backup guard. Good for a few spot starts but that's it. Doesn't have nearly the potential of LDT, mostly due to very limited athleticism.

The good news is he can backup both guard and center and that's valuable.

Phone booth only player. Don't want him in space.

Archived