SEA vs. KC - What are you watching?

Can't wait to see these guys on the field! What are you looking for in tomorrow's game? Here's what I am watching:

1. The Battle for Right Cornerback - Gaines was the favorite going into camp. However, Nelson and Cooper have been getting a lot of reps. Is Reid slowly easing Gaines back from injury? Or, is Nelson in particular winning the job at this point? For what it's worth, Nelson is listed as the starter on the depth chart.

I like Nelson. The dude never missed a single tackle in college. He is very scrappy and is kind of a poor man's Brandon Flowers imo. I think he is perfect for what Sutton wants at nickel back and he has been kicking inside at practice. He is a smaller guy like Flowers and Owens were. What concerns me is whether or not he's ready. Not only to play outside but, to play nickel. They didn't give him a sniff at nickelback after we lost Gaines last year. They went with Branch and later Parker solidified the position.

Gaines is my favorite and I think the talent is there. He played really well in the three games he played last season before he got hurt. Remember, he started for the first two games as Smith was suspended for the DUI. He was the second fastest guy at the combine the year he was drafted. He is tall at 6'1" and runs like a greyhound. He isn't scrappy like Nelson but I think he's better in coverage. He's got a certain grace about him. I know this is crazy but, when I watch him he reminds me of Raiders Hall of Famer Mike Haynes. He is built just like him and moves like him. Now if he can catch like him he will be special lol. At the very least I want to see him playing outside in the nickel. Hopefully, he's healthy enough to win the job. I really think the future is bright for this kid but, you know what they say about potential? It means you haven't done jack shit lol. 

Cooper has been a pleasant surprise. Everything I read about him is positive and Russell and White can't seem to catch up. With Gaines out half the time, he has been playing RCB in the nickel package when Nelson moves inside. Remember, he is a former receiver that didn't play corner until coming into the NFL. We've definitely seen flashes from the guy. Maybe it has finally all come together? Cooper is a stand out special teams player. Going into training camp I thought he was a long shot to make the roster but, now I'm not so sure. I look forward to watching him tonight. 

I could be wrong but, it doesn't sound like Russell and White are even in the running to start outside or in the nickel at this point. I guess we'll wait and see on these two.

2. Is there a battle at Middle Linebacker? I've never been a big Mauga fan. He's solid yet unspectacular. He did make plays in the playoff game vs. the Texans. I'll give him that. However, to me he's been the weakest player on our defense since Reid has been here. He's been hurt and missed some time in this training camp. Wilson has taken most of the snaps but, March and Alexander have seen some snaps too. Does Mauga have the job locked down? I've even heard rumors that we may trade him to Philadelphia. 

"Remmie" Wilson as they called him at UGA is much like Mauga imo. He never really flashed at UGA and he hasn't flashed in KC. He looks the part but is unspectacular like Mauga. I love UGA as much as the Chiefs and I was disappointed when we drafted him. He was a blue chip prospect at UGA who didn't do anything. All I have ever seen from the guy is unwarranted hype. He's solid but that's about it. I don't expect much from Wilson.

March is my favorite. Every time you read about this guy it's positive. He is always making plays and is around the ball. He was last year's underdog and he's this year's underdog. He brings "pop" and plays with passion. Right now he's behind Wilson but, if he makes a play on Saturday I think he'll go ahead of him. This guy is fun to watch.

Alexander is long shot to make the roster imo. He's done nothing since he arrived. He is an alright special teamer and was barely active last year. The only reason he's ahead of March on the depth chart at this point is because he was drafted and March wasn't. Saturday might be his last real shot. If he doesn't show something, it will be the first step on his road to getting cut. 

3. Can Sorenson fill that 3rd safety role we see so much in the nickel package? I think he can. He played a little bit there last year when we had injuries. They didn't sign a solid vet this off season like they did in the past (Coleman, Demps, and Branch). Stevie Brown is not as good as those guys imo. I think it says a lot about how they feel about Sorenson as they didn't sign a bigger name in the off season. 

I look forward to seeing Murray. He is moving to safety from corner. How's that transition going? You don't really hear much about him at camp but, admired his scrappy play at Minnesota. Maybe he can be the next Ron Parker and be a tweener for us? He was one of my favorite draft picks. I want to see what he's got at safety.

I'm not a Stevie Brown fan. He might have a big hit now and again but he's not good in coverage and he's not great on special teams. He's just a camp body imo. I guess we'll see? 

4. Ehringer and the O-line - I am looking forward to seeing Ehringer. There are a lot of mixed opinions on this guy. I haven't really seen enough of him to form one yet. I know he's a guard that has played tackle the last couple of years. He's gotten most of the snaps at LG during training camp and throughout the mini-camps as well. Some fear he's undersized. Can he play? Going against good experienced vets like Rubin and Bennett will be a great test for this kid. He might even have to worry about Bobby Wagner? This is a great test to see where's he's at. This will be a challenging game for any guard.

I am excited to see how the line does as a group. This is the first time they've spent this much time together as one group in camp since Reid's been here. I hope to see guys like Fisher, Morse and Tardif continue to come into their own and bring the mean streak. I can't wait to see Alex roll out to the right with Schwartz over there.

Fulton is a great back up at center and guard. Reid is solid at guard. However, what about tackle? I am very concerned about the back up tackle. Particularly the back up left tackle. We were kind of spoiled having Stephenson around. Now that he's gone will it be Reid? Ehringer? Schwartz? Or one of the no names? This will be an important thing to watch for.

5. Seattle's Big Corners - I know ... I know... Seattle? Yep, I want to see what we can do against these guys. They have Sherman and they got Browner back. They are two of the biggest in the NFL. It would be a good test to see how Maclin and Wilson handle the press. However, what I really want to see is how Streater and Conley handle it? I almost hope Maclin and Wilson don't even dress. I want to see how our taller receivers handle the press. That might be good to know somewhere down the line. 

What are you watching?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to see people in Red run around and play football and look like they know what they are doing for a series or two..after that  its just killing time..but I'll watch if I dont have more important things to do..if it stays dry I'll have more important things to do.

O-line and defensive backs.., Hopefully I get the game here.., Sometimes they black games out for no apparent reason..,

Just tried to set the recorder and yep, its blacked out.., Fukkas

O-line and defensive backs.., Hopefully I get the game here.., Sometimes they black games out for no apparent reason..,

Just tried to set the recorder and yep, its blacked out.., Fukkas

You poor bastard. All of the hardship you have to put up with over there, and now this?

:lol:

Pretty much Mugsy's list but I would also add the WR depth chart.  Wilson/Streater plus Hill could get interesting.  I hope to see one play where Hill gets open in space and shows his moves and speed.  It will also be interesting to see if Knile Davis gets carries or is he being phased out.  Looking forward to a first look at Chris Jones.

Pretty much agree with your list Mugs.

1. O-Line, particularly starting interior and depth, especially at tackle

2. Inside Linebacker

3. Defensive Backs

4. Wide Receivers

5. Quarterback depth

6. Defensive Line depth

Archived