Thoughts on today

I thought the Oline struggled a bit. Foles looks like the clear #2. Bray was less than impressive to me. I thought Murray did OK. That was a sweet TD pass while getting crushed. Too bad it was dropped by Travis.

I hate to say it, but I saw more from Dady Nichols than Ford. Dady won't last on the PT showing that. He is a project, but needs to be on the 53 if he shows that consistently. Ford looks like the third best rusher even with Hali and Hiuston out. Cooper looked like the clear #2 CB and Streeter looked like the clear #2 WR. Chris Jones looked really hard to block. I think he gets a lot of reps this year.

Didn't really see a lot to separate out ILB. A nice play by Wilson and a nice play by March.

What stood out to you guys?

I thought the Offensive Line did alright. Seattle has a good as DL and they were sending guys. Ehringer looked okay for his first assignment. Morse was off, surprisingly.

Alex whiffed pretty hard on a wide open Wilson, and the reception to Maclin gets overturned in an actual game. Beyond that, he was his typical dink and dunk self.

Ware looked strong.

Was pretty disappointed to see the first string DL get dominated before Seattle starting subbing some. Seattle isn't that goos up front.

Dee Ford looks fucking terrible.

Offense looks improved, but I think they will have to reliably dink and dunk their was to 25+ PPG avg to be a playoff squad. Dink and dunk now wouldn't be a bad thing, as the Defense needs to be off the field aa much aa possible. They might want to think about having Chris Jones log more snaps; looks like a man amongst boys.

Oh and I think the Chiefs only carry 2 QB's on the active roster.

Murray and Bray aren't worthy of a spot on the 53 imo and I wouldn't lose any sleep over placing Hogan on the PS.  It'll be Smith and Foles for your QB depth chart. 

I was a fan of Cardale in Day 3, and he seems to be doing pretty good today.  Landing Foles without spending much is a nice consolation, at least.

I won't say that we're not going to dink and dunk, but I'm not going to take so much from the first preseason game. I think we are going to do more this year, but nothing drastic.

I will watch the Wilson miss again and hope that we will see that and try it in the regular season, at least against a defense Smith doesn't give the benefit of the doubt.

I think the scramble was good, could have been more inside. I'd have been mad if in a preseason game he threw it away. Same for regular season depending on the situation, but I think it would've been dumb to throw it away in preseason game unless he felt he was going to risk an injury. Then, don't play. I love that Maclin kept playing. There have been times where none of our receivers would do what he did.

Happy to see our starters out play their starters.

Exactly.

I think our offense is going to be very hard to stop, especially when the playbook is completely installed.  This was very vanilla today.  I also think the pendulum has swung too far to the passing game in the NFL, and defenses have been constructed to try to stop that, leaving them vulnerable to a running game like we have.  QB's with a great running game going will be much better protected when passing.  I'm concerned some about the secondary, but that should change with Eric Berry back.  I also think today showed Fleming to be weak compared to Gaines. I really liked D.J. White.   I was very impressed with Tyreek Hill's hands.  The guy can flat out catch the ball.  We didn't get to see much of his speed today.  I liked what I saw of the O-line.  Better protection than I have seen in years, and Reid hasn't even gotten that tight yet. Foles is clearly the backup. 

All in all, an informative game.  It will help in making some decisions.  It will be great to have Charles, Berry, and Hali back in there.  It was about what I expected:  we are a contender.

Rewatched the scramble and the better football play, even if the Maclin catch has been inbounds and a TD, would have been Wilson. I didn't realize the scramble was the same play as the Wilson one.

I do like that he's looking to Maclin as a go-to guy as I believe that outweighs the negative of looking for him when someone else was an option. You need a go-to guy, even if I acknowledge Wilson was the better (and easier) target.

If Maclin were Bowe instead and did the same thing, Smith might have looked for Wilson instead or Bowe would have had his whole foot out of bounds. You know, because you don't want to break your foot. ;)

I thought the Oline struggled a bit. Foles looks like the clear #2. Bray was less than impressive to me. I thought Murray did OK. That was a sweet TD pass while getting crushed. Too bad it was dropped by Travis.

I hate to say it, but I saw more from Dady Nichols than Ford. Dady won't last on the PT showing that. He is a project, but needs to be on the 53 if he shows that consistently. Ford looks like the third best rusher even with Hali and Hiuston out. Cooper looked like the clear #2 CB and Streeter looked like the clear #2 WR. Chris Jones looked really hard to block. I think he gets a lot of reps this year.

Didn't really see a lot to separate out ILB. A nice play by Wilson and a nice play by March.

What stood out to you guys?

Streeter looks like a real receiver.

Bray didn't really give Tyreek Hill a lot of opportunity to run after the catch.  Was doing things off and on, so not sure if I noticed him catching passes from other QB's.

I remember him catching three short ones, but they weren't easy.  

I don't think Gaines or Conley played. I bet they play a lot next week.

Nelson didn't look good outside or inside. Neither did Russell which is really disappointing. Cooper and White played well. Shaquille Randolph looked pretty good against the threes too.

D-line looked great on every level. We are really deep there. These guys will be forced to get pressure this year and I think they are up for it.

Dee Ford played well. I re-watched the first quarter and only watched him. If it wasn't a two step drop he got pressure. He was good in coverage and against the run. He had a TFL on 3rd and short. He got really good pressure on a deep pass in which Richardson beat Peters deep. Dee prevented the TD there. I don't get the criticism. I don't know what people expect?

Remmie Wilson is pretty much the same player as Mauga. March was awesome. He stopped a play on 4th and 1 in the backfield. He recovered what should have been a fumble. He jacked a guy with his shoulder and it was called helmet to helmet. He needs to start. He makes things happen far too often to sit the bench.

Zombo and Moses played well as usual. Those guy are good back ups.

Nicholas was good but he was going against third stringers.

The OLB play was solid all around which is a good thing considering that Dorsey and Reid both eluded to the fact that Houston might not be back this season.

How about Cairo and the 58 yarder? I liked the enthusiasm from his teamates.

Parker makes me nervous at safety. Too many ankle biting tackles. Sorenson looked good.

Chris Jones and Nunez-Roaches played really well.

We have five good running backs...

Streater and Williams were OK. They aren't any better than what we have and neither are good on special teams. Honestly, I'd rather go with Maclin, Wilson, Conley, Hammond, Hill, and Robinson. I'd think about cutting Streater and Willams at this point...

Murray is clearly the #3 QB. They drafted him to be the next Chase Daniel and he looked the part. Bray doesn't fit in this offense imo.

I doubt DAT makes the team. He better get more than 11 yards on kickoff returns if he wants to make it.

I think they forced the ball to Hill a little bit. That said, he was fine.

The o-line seemed to be deeper than I though. The second and third teams owned Seattle. They still have a lot to prove.

Wish we had seen more of Eric Murray at safety.

Ross needs to change numbers. He doesn't deserve #88.

We are gonna have to cut some really good players and that's a good thing.

I'd say that Houston will be back sometime in November if the Chiefs are in it.

I think he'll be out for the year. I think we better get used to that idea. In two separate interviews last week, Dorsey and Reid both said the words "IF he comes back this season."

Houston will return around mid October, IMHO. His repair was to a stretched out ACL. Recovery times usually include time spans to recuperate from inflammation. Houston should be good to go a lot quicker. I think they want to be conservative, but you pay these guys to be on the field.

The Chiefs have an early bye week.

San Diego  - A bad team - pass happy

@ Houston - A decent team, but new QB in a passing offense. OL issues.

NY Jets  - A dangerous game for the Chiefs

@ Pittsburgh - Really tough game, good running back, and top QB

bye

October 16th, the Chiefs play at Oakland. -  Oakland's defense is tough. If the Chiefs win this game, they will have earned it.

Justin Houston can return after this date. The Chiefs have until to game after the week beginning November 19 to bring him back.

My prediction is the Chiefs will go 3-2 during this stretch.

Period when the Chiefs can bring Houston back

October 23 New Orleans  - Not a good team. Pass first.

October 29 @ Indy - who knows, but not an impressive running team

November 6 Jacksonville  - not a good team

November 13 @ Carolina - trouble for the Chiefs

November 20 Tampa - should win this game, even without Houston

The Chiefs should win at least 3 of the 5 games, and maybe even 4 with or without Houston.

The following schedule ends the season

November 27 @ Denver

December 4 @ Atlanta

December 8 Oakland

December 18 Tennessee

December 25 Denver

January 1 @ San Diego

The Chiefs may start the season 6-4 to 7-3. The final six games will decide if they play in the preseason, and how far they go. They get Oakland at home, and Denver twice, Atlanta may or may not be in the hunt. They are off and on. So, there is no way to determine where they will be at this point. Tennessee and San Diego should be wins.

If the Chiefs can keep losses to a minimum without Houston, and win against Denver and Oakland, they have a chance of winning their division.

They are so deep at WR, I hope they give Jamaal a rest to start the season. They can afford it, and this may allow Jamaal to be healthy for the stretch run.

Houston will return around mid October, IMHO. His repair was to a stretched out ACL. Recovery times usually include time spans to recuperate from inflammation. Houston should be good to go a lot quicker. I think they want to be conservative, but you pay these guys to be on the field.

The Chiefs have an early bye week.

San Diego  - A bad team - pass happy

@ Houston - A decent team, but new QB in a passing offense. OL issues.

NY Jets  - A dangerous game for the Chiefs

@ Pittsburgh - Really tough game, good running back, and top QB

bye

October 16th, the Chiefs play at Oakland. -  Oakland's defense is tough. If the Chiefs win this game, they will have earned it.

Justin Houston can return after this date. The Chiefs have until to game after the week beginning November 19 to bring him back.

My prediction is the Chiefs will go 3-2 during this stretch.

Period when the Chiefs can bring Houston back

October 23 New Orleans  - Not a good team. Pass first.

October 29 @ Indy - who knows, but not an impressive running team

November 6 Jacksonville  - not a good team

November 13 @ Carolina - trouble for the Chiefs

November 20 Tampa - should win this game, even without Houston

The Chiefs should win at least 3 of the 5 games, and maybe even 4 with or without Houston.

The following schedule ends the season

November 27 @ Denver

December 4 @ Atlanta

December 8 Oakland

December 18 Tennessee

December 25 Denver

January 1 @ San Diego

The Chiefs may start the season 6-4 to 7-3. The final six games will decide if they play in the preseason, and how far they go. They get Oakland at home, and Denver twice, Atlanta may or may not be in the hunt. They are off and on. So, there is no way to determine where they will be at this point. Tennessee and San Diego should be wins.

If the Chiefs can keep losses to a minimum without Houston, and win against Denver and Oakland, they have a chance of winning their division.

They are so deep at WR, I hope they give Jamaal a rest to start the season. They can afford it, and this may allow Jamaal to be healthy for the stretch run.

Sorry, Eraser. I think your information on Houston is in error.  He had a tear, not a sprain.   The normal recovery time is 6-12 months.  I believe his recovery will  closer to 12 months, because the longer the time between the injury and the surgery, the worse it is.  Dr. Andrews just plain missed it on the first scope, even though he is the best. Houston even tried to play on it in the playoff game.  That was not good.  The rehab time will be longer and more arduous because of this.  Don't count on him this year at all.  The Chiefs must not count on him even late in the season.  But I am not certain at all.  He is young, and that counts for a lot.

To me, the worst thing about yesterday was the obvious inability to cover the edges.  So many running plays simply ran around the edge and made big yardage.  Our LB's could not stop that.  Houston always could.  We'd better figure out a way to secure the edges or its gonna be rough. I'm glad the offense will be better.

Archived