Thoughts on today

I don't think Houston plays during the regular season at all, and if he does it won't be until the last month. Usually a 9-10 month recovery on this. 

Yep, I agree with this. Dorsey and Reid saying "IF he plays this year" is not a good sign at all.

Sorry, Eraser. I think your information on Houston is in error.  He had a tear, not a sprain.   The normal recovery time is 6-12 months.  I believe his recovery will  closer to 12 months, because the longer the time between the injury and the surgery, the worse it is.  Dr. Andrews just plain missed it on the first scope, even though he is the best. Houston even tried to play on it in the playoff game.  That was not good.  The rehab time will be longer and more arduous because of this.  Don't count on him this year at all.  The Chiefs must not count on him even late in the season.  But I am not certain at all.  He is young, and that counts for a lot.

To me, the worst thing about yesterday was the obvious inability to cover the edges.  So many running plays simply ran around the edge and made big yardage.  Our LB's could not stop that.  Houston always could.  We'd better figure out a way to secure the edges or its gonna be rough. I'm glad the offense will be better.

I do not recall saying it was not surgically required. The ACL, we were told was not responsive, and required surgery. A tear, sure, it was technically a tear. To be specific the ACL was said to have been "intact" but not "functioning". There is a lot of room in that determination. Was there a tear? Apparently, the tendon was not ruptured. Tendons that do not work, whether torn or not are not going to get better (they have to be replaced). So, yes, it is a do over. When we are talking about damage to the knee, it is always better to do the surgery sooner than later. According to what I heard the meniscus was not damaged much. It was a freak accident, and maybe the ACL tendon got stretched to the point where it no longer could stabilize the knee. The type of surgery now is amazing. This probably required a very small insertion. Originally tendons were used from cadavers. Now the docs take a tendon from the hamstring, and transplant it into the knee.

The key to this recovery is the attachment locations. If those are good, Houston can start exercising right away. The knee gets stronger, and we move on from there. Yes, it is a 6 to 12 month recovery. That puts him back mid August at the earliest. I expect to see him back in October to early November, but you may be right. We will see.

I'll tell you what. If I'm right, I will donate a $100 to my favorite charity. If he doesn't make it back this year, you can donate $100 to my favorite charity. Works for me.

I do not recall saying it was not surgically required. The ACL, we were told was not responsive, and required surgery. A tear, sure, it was technically a tear. To be specific the ACL was said to have been "intact" but not "functioning". There is a lot of room in that determination. Was there a tear? Apparently, the tendon was not ruptured. Tendons that do not work, whether torn or not are not going to get better (they have to be replaced). So, yes, it is a do over. When we are talking about damage to the knee, it is always better to do the surgery sooner than later. According to what I heard the meniscus was not damaged much. It was a freak accident, and maybe the ACL tendon got stretched to the point where it no longer could stabilize the knee. The type of surgery now is amazing. This probably required a very small insertion. Originally tendons were used from cadavers. Now the docs take a tendon from the hamstring, and transplant it into the knee.

The key to this recovery is the attachment locations. If those are good, Houston can start exercising right away. The knee gets stronger, and we move on from there. Yes, it is a 6 to 12 month recovery. That puts him back mid August at the earliest. I expect to see him back in October to early November, but you may be right. We will see.

I'll tell you what. If I'm right, I will donate a $100 to my favorite charity. If he doesn't make it back this year, you can donate $100 to my favorite charity. Works for me.

Sorry. I thought you posted that it was stretched, not torn.

Sorry. I thought you posted that it was stretched, not torn.

Is there a difference? a tendon does not heal. If it is stretched, it is torn. The difference to me is the tendon is either completely detached, partially detached, or not at all detached. Either way, if the tendon is not working, it has to be replaced, and it was replaced (likely from a tendon taken from his own body).

Hope you are well. I had a good day. Church. Home. Nap. Then my wife, and I cooked one of those special meals you save for a Sunday afternoon, but this was just for us two. Makes you wonder why you even bother going to a restaurant, where you pay too much, get too little, and often leave disappointed.

She bought two tri tip steaks from a local rancher. I gathered red potatoes, chives, mint, and baby carrots from our garden (which is a total mess this year). She assembled mashed red potatoes in cream, with chive, butter, and a hint of garlic. She took the small carrots, and braised them in a dark brown sugar, ginger, butter, and local pecan concoction. I laid the steaks out to warm to room temperature. Then cooked them at high temperature on a black iron skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper, and butter. I took them off to rest, and added a roux to the drippings, added cream, and crushed mint. Reduced it until it was medium consistency, and poured the elixir on top of the red mashed potatoes, and steak. She fixed a nice iced mint and tea drink, and watched the Olympics (old people style) in the living room with TV trays.

Despite all the troubles of the world, and our little ups and downs, life is good if you only stop to let it enthrall you.

Oh, just now I learned we got treated to a comedy act. My daughter came home from working at the Children's Home (12 hour shift). Our 18 lb Main Coon cat does tricks, comes when called, and likes to play in water. He was just laying next to me while I typed the post above. My daughter went upstairs to find him sitting in the toilet bowl. She had to leave early, and forgot to shut the lid. She also forgot to flush. So, our cat was sitting in the toilet, splashing in urine.

We gave the cat a bath, and dried him off. Never seen that before.

Is there a difference? a tendon does not heal. If it is stretched, it is torn. The difference to me is the tendon is either completely detached, partially detached, or not at all detached. Either way, if the tendon is not working, it has to be replaced, and it was replaced (likely from a tendon taken from his own body).

Hope you are well. I had a good day. Church. Home. Nap. Then my wife, and I cooked one of those special meals you save for a Sunday afternoon, but this was just for us two. Makes you wonder why you even bother going to a restaurant, where you pay too much, get too little, and often leave disappointed.

She bought two tri tip steaks from a local rancher. I gathered red potatoes, chives, mint, and baby carrots from our garden (which is a total mess this year). She assembled mashed red potatoes in cream, with chive, butter, and a hint of garlic. She took the small carrots, and braised them in a dark brown sugar, ginger, butter, and local pecan concoction. I laid the steaks out to warm to room temperature. Then cooked them at high temperature on a black iron skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper, and butter. I took them off to rest, and added a roux to the drippings, added cream, and crushed mint. Reduced it until it was medium consistency, and poured the elixir on top of the red mashed potatoes, and steak. She fixed a nice iced mint and tea drink, and watched the Olympics (old people style) in the living room with TV trays.

Despite all the troubles of the world, and our little ups and downs, life is good if you only stop to let it enthrall you.

Exactly, Eraser.  Life is a brief journey that is a gift, and I think we were meant to appreciate it.  Beauty is all around us all the time, if we take the time to stop and look.  By the way, from your description of that meal, I should have stopped by your house for dinner. Also, there isn't anything much better than a nap.

As for the medical discussion, tendons and ligaments are very different things.  They are connective tissues that are made differently and have different properties. Tendons attach a muscle to a bone in order to make the bone move when the muscle contracts.  Ligament tissue attaches bone to bone and is only minimally stretchable before it breaks. It stabilizes a joint and has a slight "give" in order to not rupture or tear when there is a stretching force applied to it.  Sometimes ligament just sits in a joint to provide a cushion ( to be compressible), like the meniscal ligament cushions the tibia from weight of the femur above it so that the knee can take the weight of the body without bone grinding on bone.  It provides stability in a joint mainly by NOT being stretchable.    A ligament will develop a tear, but is not the same thing as stretching. Initially, Houston was thought to have a sprain in the knee, where some excess tension on the ACL caused microscopic fibers to be ruptured leading to pain and tenderness.  But it was a little worse than that.  In February, the second arthroscopy showed a little tear that required some repair that had been missed at first.  Even though the tear was small, the missed diagnosis had allowed him to try to work out on it and even play in the playoff game.  That lack of healing time has to be added to the time normally needed after a tear is repaired.  In other words, if he had had the surgery in November, he would have healed three months earlier than having had the repair done in February.  So, add three months.  THEN, the wait and the stress from trying to work out on it, probably extended the healing time another month at least.  So we are looking at 4-6 months longer than if it had been operated on in November, not just 3 months.  If the normal healing time for torn ACL repair is 6-10 months, and we start the clock in February, then add an additional month or two because of not having it repaired right away, and he is probably not ready to practice until sometime between October and January.  Taking the average of that, we can guess late November to late December.  With a 100 million dollar contract, they cannot afford to rush it and jeopardize it further.  So, I would say it is 90% likely that we will not have him back until next season.  If it is sooner, then great. But you can be damned certain that they will be very conservative and careful.  Their investment in him is just too large.

So, we are in a pickle.  We can rush our other linebackers, but that leaves the edges unprotected.  So teams will etiher run around the edges like we saw on Saturday, or the QB will have extra time in the pocket and complete more passes against us.  Houston was able to both contain outside and get to the quarterback, so the opponents were never certain what to try.  Its just a shame.  The question is whether or not we can score enough additional points to neutralize the points that will be scored against us. I don't like that, because it means that our defense will be worn out earlier in the game.  That is where the depth and platooning will be more important than ever.

Oh, just now I learned we got treated to a comedy act. My daughter came home from working at the Children's Home (12 hour shift). Our 18 lb Main Coon cat does tricks, comes when called, and likes to play in water. He was just laying next to me while I typed the post above. My daughter went upstairs to find him sitting in the toilet bowl. She had to leave early, and forgot to shut the lid. She also forgot to flush. So, our cat was sitting in the toilet, splashing in urine.

We gave the cat a bath, and dried him off. Never seen that before.

Oh, I see that all the time. ;)

Exactly, Eraser.  Life is a brief journey that is a gift, and I think we were meant to appreciate it.  Beauty is all around us all the time, if we take the time to stop and look.  By the way, from your description of that meal, I should have stopped by your house for dinner. Also, there isn't anything much better than a nap.

As for the medical discussion, tendons and ligaments are very different things.  They are connective tissues that are made differently and have different properties. Tendons attach a muscle to a bone in order to make the bone move when the muscle contracts.  Ligament tissue attaches bone to bone and is only minimally stretchable before it breaks. It stabilizes a joint and has a slight "give" in order to not rupture or tear when there is a stretching force applied to it.  Sometimes ligament just sits in a joint to provide a cushion ( to be compressible), like the meniscal ligament cushions the tibia from weight of the femur above it so that the knee can take the weight of the body without bone grinding on bone.  It provides stability in a joint mainly by NOT being stretchable.    A ligament will develop a tear, but is not the same thing as stretching. Initially, Houston was thought to have a sprain in the knee, where some excess tension on the ACL caused microscopic fibers to be ruptured leading to pain and tenderness.  But it was a little worse than that.  In February, the second arthroscopy showed a little tear that required some repair that had been missed at first.  Even though the tear was small, the missed diagnosis had allowed him to try to work out on it and even play in the playoff game.  That lack of healing time has to be added to the time normally needed after a tear is repaired.  In other words, if he had had the surgery in November, he would have healed three months earlier than having had the repair done in February.  So, add three months.  THEN, the wait and the stress from trying to work out on it, probably extended the healing time another month at least.  So we are looking at 4-6 months longer than if it had been operated on in November, not just 3 months.  If the normal healing time for torn ACL repair is 6-10 months, and we start the clock in February, then add an additional month or two because of not having it repaired right away, and he is probably not ready to practice until sometime between October and January.  Taking the average of that, we can guess late November to late December.  With a 100 million dollar contract, they cannot afford to rush it and jeopardize it further.  So, I would say it is 90% likely that we will not have him back until next season.  If it is sooner, then great. But you can be damned certain that they will be very conservative and careful.  Their investment in him is just too large.

So, we are in a pickle.  We can rush our other linebackers, but that leaves the edges unprotected.  So teams will etiher run around the edges like we saw on Saturday, or the QB will have extra time in the pocket and complete more passes against us.  Houston was able to both contain outside and get to the quarterback, so the opponents were never certain what to try.  Its just a shame.  The question is whether or not we can score enough additional points to neutralize the points that will be scored against us. I don't like that, because it means that our defense will be worn out earlier in the game.  That is where the depth and platooning will be more important than ever.

Well, shoot. You win. OK, I guess you will have to pay $100 to the Rand Paul Senatorial Campaign fund. I wish I were correct, but why oh why would I try to out think a doctor, when it comes to medicine.

https://secure.randpaul.com/

Better luck for me next time.

Well, shoot. You win. OK, I guess you will have to pay $100 to the Rand Paul Senatorial Campaign fund. I wish I were correct, but why oh why would I try to out think a doctor, when it comes to medicine.

"This is the Chief's Talk forum. Pleas leave political discussions to the Locker room." Sound familiar, but I'm sure you will see it differently. ????

I watched the starters but haven't had a chance to watch the whole game. I thought the offense played like last season and hadn't missed much of a beat, which I guess is good.

On a side note, Bil mentioned DJ White. I'm rooting for this kid since his dad works were I work. I actually met him several years ago after working on his dads computer. His dad needed his PC working properly, so he could send his kids game foottage to recruiters. It was just another job for me at the time, and I never thought about the kid making it this far, he was just a tall skinny kid at the time. I hope he makes the team and does well.

Now you'll need an eye doctor after reading that, or maybe a psychiatrist for reading it.  

Archived