Will this be Ford's last chance?

By Sam Mellinger

smellinger@kcstar.com

Except for major injuries there is nothing that can happen in the first preseason game to change an NFL team’s course, but with this particular Chiefs team in this particular season they are going to have to address something.

Two years after Clark Hunt brought up Derrick Thomas’ name in describing Dee Ford, the Chiefs need their young pass rusher to produce.

The Chiefs lost to the Seahawks 17-16 in front of a lot of empty seats on Saturday, an appropriate audience for what amounts to an expensive scrimmage, and Kansas City’s best roster in years showed plenty of positives.

The offensive line was good. The first possession ended in a touchdown, giving Alex Smith the rest of the night off. Marcus Peters intercepted Russell Wilson at the goal line. Chris Jones, the top draft pick, was a problem for the interior of the Seahawks’ offensive line.

Tyreek Hill shook Richard Sherman at the line of scrimmage, though he couldn’t catch what should’ve been a better pass from Nick Foles. Rod Streater made a terrific back-shoulder catch. The backup quarterbacks could’ve been better, and the Chiefs are still without several of their best players, but overall, pretty good.

But, in terms of the Chiefs’ outlook in 2016, the most curious development in this game was always going to be Ford.

“The first thing comes in having confidence in yourself,” Ford said. “I have the ultimate confidence in myself. I’ve always known I’d have this opportunity. So I’m kind of following suit with my own plan. I’ve always planned on having this opportunity.”

If this roster has a fatal flaw, it’s the edge pass rush, particularly until Justin Houston returns from knee surgery — which could be a while.

Everything the Chiefs do on defense is based on disrupting timing. The first and best way of doing that is by pressuring the quarterback. In defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s three seasons here, only the Panthers have more sacks.

Houston is the most important player in that — obviously — and if the pass rush doesn’t come, then an inexperienced secondary is asked to cover too long and a ball-control offense is asked to take more risks. Ford is replacing Houston in the lineup, and in the parity of the NFL, this is the type of thing that could swing a season.It’s critical for the Chiefs to get some production from Ford.

The team’s decision makers have talked of Ford in confident and optimistic terms. Ford has just 5  1/2 sacks and 24 tackles since being drafted in the first round two years ago, but pass rushers develop at different paces, so it’s always been fair to see what Ford does in his third NFL season.

The knock on Ford has been the lack of a counter move to a terrific speed rush. He’s blessed with more talent than most, even by NFL standards, but at this level technique is required to let talent shine. Ford has had two full seasons to learn from Houston and Tamba Hali, two of the best in the league. He’s had more opportunities than most to put in extra work, to study the subtleties that separate stars from washouts.

And, in a very small sample size, Ford did not distinguish himself before exiting with most of the rest of the first-team defense after Seattle’s first two drives.

The closest he came to an impactful play was a bull rush in which he raised a hand close enough to perhaps get into Seahawks quarterback Trevone Boykin’s vision, but it would be more than a generous stretch to say Ford caused the incompletion.

When the coaches review the video, they’ll see Ford being easily controlled on most snaps by a single blocker. On most snaps, that single blocker was Garry Gilliam, one of Pro Football Focus’ worst-rated tackles from last year. Gilliam took out Ford’s legs on the first snap, and spent most of the rest of his time confidently standing his ground.

At least twice, Ford failed to hold the edge. One of those would’ve been a third-down conversion but for a holding penalty. On the other, Ford allowed himself to be pushed too far upfield, and by the time he shed the block it was too late, and the Seahawks had an 8-yard run.

In Ford’s defense, there was very little game planning this week. Two series is a small fraction of a full game, and pass rushers often talk about needing a rhythm.

Again, this is not a call for alarm. It’s just two drives in one preseason game. Four weeks remain until the real games start. Hali is expected to be healthy by then, and the Chiefs have enough talented defensive linemen to generate some pressure inside. Sutton can get creative with blitz packages, so even if Ford is a disappointment the Chiefs can recover.

But it would be made much more difficult, at least until Houston returns. The simplest way is for Ford to be a productive pass rusher. He’s always had the talent, and this season will have the opportunity. We’ll see.

“All pass rushers need counter moves — me especially,” Ford said. “I don’t shy away from that. It’s not an easy thing. That comes with experience. I have counter moves, it just hasn’t been shown. In due time, people will see.”That time is now. It needs to be. Ford understands that, at least. “This is it,” he said. “Everything’s out on the table.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article95568017.html#storylink=cpy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty good review on Ford. If anyone does not think he has been a disappointment to date I think is only lying to themselves.. this Ford was not one of Dorsey & Company's better ideas.

Every year there is a Pissing Post.. I think we have found ours for 2016 until proven other wise.

Unfortunately the under on Ford seems to be the smart bet. I hope I am wrong. Picking Dady Nichols to be the next great Chiefs pass rusher. Great hand fighting and great speed and feet. His frame looks like it could take another 20 pounds easily. If he works hard, look out in 2 years.

Unfortunately the under on Ford seems to be the smart bet. I hope I am wrong. Picking Dady Nichols to be the next great Chiefs pass rusher. Great hand fighting and great speed and feet. His frame looks like it could take another 20 pounds easily. If he works hard, look out in 2 years.

Moses impressed me

Pretty sad when we hope for a sixth or seventh rounder to save us from a wasted first round pick.

I don't know wtf Mellinger was watching. Normally I like Sam but he reached in this article imo. He needs to watch Ford in that game again imo. He was fine.

Also, Suttons defense never relied on OLBers creating a pass rush in NY. It was about the line and the corners. Peters is our Revis and our dline is probably better than what they had when he was there. I am not that worried about. Yesterday's Chiefs OLBs were better than what Suttons had in NY.

Nicholas went against third teamers. I liked what I saw but He has a lot to prove.

Dee Ford is a wasted pick, a pile of rotting, fly swarmed dung on a hot day in July. He stinks, and his attitude is about as laisseze faire as they come. He makes Ryan Sims after rolling up at a Church's Fried chicken, and eating them out of product, look like a rabies infected dog coming in for the kill. Instead, Dee Ford is a slightly pretentious, dispassionate hunk of rotting flesh who seems better prepared for a piano gig at a lounge than he does at assaulting a tackle and going after the QB. He has a moderately quick first step, but gives up quicker than France since Napoleon left stage right.

The contract for which Dee Ford has not earned technically lasts for two more seasons. However, they could cut or trade his lazy rear end this year, and the hit would be a mere $1M. Next year, they actually save $1.5 M by having him hit the streets.

I sat in a parking lot of a hotel in Lexington, KY to hear the announcement of the Chiefs' draft selection in 2014. I was on our way to visit my daughter in West Virginia. Upon hearing the selection, I wanted to hurl things, including the total content of what I ate from the restaurant next door. Instead, I simply repeated Dee Ford, Dee Ford? Dee Ford ??? Dee Ford, until the weariness of my trip took over, and I fell asleep. He is a waste of space on the football field.

Mugsy, I don't know what you were looking at. Sam got it right. Dee Ford is proving me right, and in this case, I would much rather have it the other way.

I don't know wtf Mellinger was watching. Normally I like Sam but he reached in this article imo. He needs to watch Ford in that game again imo. He was fine.

Also, Suttons defense never relied on OLBers creating a pass rush in NY. It was about the line and the corners. Peters is our Revis and our dline is probably better than what they had when he was there. I am not that worried about. Yesterday's Chiefs OLBs were better than what Suttons had in NY.

Nicholas went against third teamers. I liked what I saw but He has a lot to prove.

I have no idea what game you watched, but Ford looked lost and capped his bad performance with a failed strip which allowed a 1st down conversion.

Dee Ford sucks

Jesus eraser, too soon. Let him settle

I like Dee, yet you're probably right. However I wouldn't roast on him til regular season.

If he comes through I'll remember this!

It was my privilege. Ever heard him talk about preseason camp? He is coasting. That is what he learned in three years at Saint Joe. You coast, and don't wear yourself out too much.

Softer than soft serve ice cream.

Never liked Ford. Probably never will. Kid is way too soft. 

He is definitely a finesse player. He's never really fit what we do. I never got the pick either.

Liquid and eraser. Watch it again and just watch him. I'd give his performance a B grade. He wasn't bad against Seattle. He was good in coverage and didn't look lost at all.

I do wish there was more intensity.

We'll see where he's at for sure this year. I doubt Houston will play

I honestly do not know if Dee Ford is going to be a great pass rusher or not.  I do know that we tend to overreact one way or another about players with a very limited amount of information. 

The one thing I do take issue with us Mellinger's "Fatal Roster Flaw" in regards to the defense and the OLB's.

First, not all pass rushes are equal.  If Poe, Bailey, Howard and Jones can push the pocket it is a HUGE advantage.  I think we all agree that our front on defense is very, very good and Jones is already looking like a player.

The Chiefs have Pro-Bowl LB's all over the place....Hali matters, DJ matters and sooner of later Justin Houston will come back....

I think Mellinger is all wet on the critical roster flaw thing.

w

The white elephant in the corner is the play of Derrick Johnson. It was just a practice game. He did not look good. The Chiefs need him to play at a higher level. His contract is structured where the Chiefs will have a difficult time with the cap if they have to let him go.

Mellinger was not wrong, and he was not alone in his analysis. Dee Ford has only one game where you can point to in his entire career. It was against San Diego, and he ate up the T, who is no longer playing in the NFL. Three sacks was not a lot for that game. A better OLB would have come close to Derrick Thomas' record of 7 sacks. It was open all day long.

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Ford_Working_Smarter_Not_Harder/32104607-2f87-45ad-bf48-29e691c0a2cb

They were actually talking about that on 610 a little bit ago referring to DJ and Hali hitting an imaginary "wall". They claim every player eventually hits this wall and cannot defeat father time.

I disagree with this analogy because hitting a wall, as they're putting it, is the same as stopping dead in their tracks and I don't believe this is the case with older athletes. I more reasonable explanation is falling in quick sand where they slowly decline til they're done.

DJ might be slower than last year, but that's fast enough for this kind of inside linebacker. He's the best Chief's tackler in history according to the stats I believe

They were actually talking about that on 610 a little bit ago referring to DJ and Hali hitting an imaginary "wall". They claim every player eventually hits this wall and cannot defeat father time.

I disagree with this analogy because hitting a wall, as they're putting it, is the same as stopping dead in their tracks and I don't believe this is the case with older athletes. I more reasonable explanation is falling in quick sand where they slowly decline til they're done.

DJ might be slower than last year, but that's fast enough for this kind of inside linebacker. He's the best Chief's tackler in history according to the stats I believe

And I just received my DJ jersey

first problem is you listened to 610..not saying 810 is all that but 610 is Bush league drama school.

Dadi Nicholas looked better. Just saying.

Against the 4th string offense. Dee Ford would have looked like Lawrence Taylor against the 4th string offense. Not saying Nicholas won't be good. Just saying it's very early.

DJ will be fine, imo. If not March is "chomping at the bit" to get in. March can cover and seems to have a "nose" for the ball.

As for Dee Ford.....I will give him this year or better yet, this preseason to make my final decision. Erasers depiction of him is exactly the way I feel about him.

I r--e--a--l--l--y hate his "laid back" attitude. It's sorta like he thinks he's "entitled". He to play that way too.... But there is one thing that I do know, and that is that Sutton will sit his ass on the bench if he doesn't perform.

DJ will be fine, imo. If not March is "chomping at the bit" to get in. March can cover and seems to have a "nose" for the ball.

As for Dee Ford.....I will give him this year or better yet, this preseason to make my final decision. Erasers depiction of him is exactly the way I feel about him.

I r--e--a--l--l--y hate his "laid back" attitude. It's sorta like he thinks he's "entitled". He to play that way too.... But there is one thing that I do know, and that is that Sutton will sit his ass on the bench if he doesn't perform.

agreed I hate the entitled attitude, from him and anybody else for that matter

Archived