Kick Returner/Punt Returner and Roster Slots

I think this topic should be discussed.

On the depth chart, the Chiefs have Knile Davis, Tyreek Hill, De'Anthony Thomas, Frankie Hammond, and Demarcus Robinson on the depth chart as returners.

This team isn't keeping all of them. In fact, only two of them showed anything in Week 1 of preseason outside of the return game; Hill and Thomas.

There are only so many "little guys" that you can keep at WR. Wilson appears to have a slot firmly taken (even if I might disagree with that). I don't see KC keeping both Hill and Thomas.

Knile Davis has proven time and again that the only value he adds to the roster is as a kick returner, offering little as a running back.

Hammond is routinely lost as a receiver. Robinson doesn't appear to have taken hold of the offense just yet and he doesn't appear poised to be much this season. 

Now, at receiver, Rod Streater and Da'Ron Brown showed me they might belong on this roster.

Running back is stacked and none of the top 4 include Davis.

If you're the Chiefs, how do you combat the problem of keeping guys that can contribute on both special teams and on offense? Do you cut a guy that can contribute on offense just to keep a special teams guy?

Here's my receivers right now:

WR1 Jeremy Maclin

WR2 Rod Streater

WR3 Albert Wilson

WR4 Da'Ron Brown

WR5 Chris Conley

WR6 Tyreek Hill

My fence guy is DAT.

The running backs are pretty clearly Charles, Ware, and West, with Reaves looking like the better 4th back should the Chiefs go that route, or if Charles starts out on the PUP list.

I only have 1 of the guys at KR/PR currently being worthy of making the team. Do the Chiefs cut a solid looking receiver like Brown for a guy that can return kicks? 

I think Robinson makes it over Brown. The reasoning is that neither will see the field much and Robinson won't make it to the PS, whereas Brown will. Robinson brings more YAC ability as well. Too early to judge the back end of the roster though.

I think Robinson makes it over Brown. The reasoning is that neither will see the field much and Robinson won't make it to the PS, whereas Brown will. Robinson brings more YAC ability as well. Too early to judge the back end of the roster though.

Agreed. However, this is going to be a tough year. A lot of players will be cut from this team who would have been starting on other versions of the Chiefs.

KC has put a lot of resources into special teams since Reid got here. I think that will be more relevant than ever this year. They obviously believe Hill can score and they are going to put an emphasis on special teams. 

Maclin, Wilson, and Conley are the three starters. They worked together with Alex all offseason. Those guys are solid and are locks. 

Streater - Can't play special teams. That's why he was inactive in Oakland so much last year. He's an OK receiver but he really doesn't fit imo. Maybe he could take Avant's role but I doubt it? 

Williams - Pretty much the exact same description as Streater but he's slower and less athletic. 

Brown - He has potential but isn't ready. He caused an interception Saturday because he didn't sit in the hole. He did alright but it was against third stringers. 

Hill - He's a lock. 

Robinson - He's a strong deep route runner but, so are Conley and Hill. Aside from being a returner, he hasn't played much special teams and I don't think he would be excited about it. They may try and sneak him on the PS? He might get picked up? However, he really hasn't shown anything yet. 

Thomas - I can't see him making it. He had an 11 yard kick return on Saturday. That's not good enough. Throw in the fact that he pissed off Reid last year and I don't see him making the 53. Maybe we can trade him to Chip for a 7th or a player? 

Hammond - We know what he can do. This won't be popular but, I think he makes the 53. He is a very good special teamer. He is not just a returner but is a very good coverage team guy. There is a reason he's been around for three years. 

I think we go with six when it's all said and done:

1. Maclin 

2. Wilson 

3. Conley 

4 Streater

5. Hill 

6. Hammond 

Robinson on PS. Brown might make the last PS spot. 

I wouldn't say you can Hill is a true "little guy". Dante Hall and Dat at 5"8 are definitely little guys. Hill being 5'10", I know it's only 2 inches, but you are now talking taller than Steve Smith and Wes walker. That is plenty big for a guy to be a solid every down WR.

Davis is the odd man out. Hill can play WR or RB. In a pinch, DAT could contribute at either position. Davis can't help your WR depth at all. So, Davis out, Hill and DAT in.

I didn't see enough from Brown to move him ahead of Hill or Conley. He probably won't make the 53.

The fun part is, we have some more preseason action to separate the men from the boys.

Why do people hate on Wilson? All he has done is get better. He fits our system perfecting. It's all about dinking and dunking it and he's a master of the short crossing routes we love to run. Guys like Streater and Conley are role players in our offense. Nine times out of ten the #2 WR is the 4th look in this offense. Wilson fits what they want perfectly. Alex throws the ball low or backside 80% of the time. Those the catches Wilson excels at. I'm not sure what people want in a #2 WR in this offense? Remember, he had 5 catches for 57 yards and a TD when Maclin hardly played in the New England Playoff game. He has proven himself. I think you guys need to get used to Wilson because he ain't going anywhere. He might move into the slot in three WR sets but, he is the clear cut #2 and for good reason.

Streater has shown that he has returned to good health. He is a proven receiver and he looks to be a steal.  Reid has ZERO patience with recievers that run the wrong route and / or block poorly.

I agree with Xen and Crow:  My caviot is that Robinson will clear waivers and get to the P/S.

WR1 Jeremy Maclin

WR2 Rod Streater

WR3 Albert Wilson

WR4 Da'Ron Brown / Robinson

WR5 Chris Conley

WR6 Tyreek Hill

w

Streater has shown that he has returned to good health. He is a proven receiver and he looks to be a steal. Reid has ZERO patience with recievers that run the wrong route and / or block poorly.

I agree with Xen and Crow: My caviot is that Robinson will clear waivers and get to the P/S.

WR1 Jeremy Maclin

WR2 Rod Streater

WR3 Albert Wilson

WR4 Da'Ron Brown / Robinson

WR5 Chris Conley

WR6 Tyreek Hill

w

Robinson won't clear waivers. He was highly thought of in the draft and only dropped because of the suspensions. There's no downside to picking him off waivers though, as you don't have to spend draft capital to get him.

I think Streater is the second WR.  He is a precise route runner with good hands.  He may be the second coming of Jason Avant, but he's a guy that Alex Smith can rely on.  Not a fan of Wilsons and Conley is one of those guys with a world of unrealized potential. 

Hill gets open. I don't know if Streater is #2 to Hill right now. I have never seen a player with so much talent. I don't like his past. I hope he continues to stay out of trouble. Like Bil, and others, I have my doubts. His talent is amazing. The Chiefs left quite a few yards on the field against one of the best secondaries in all of the NFL. It was not of Hill. He did his part.

The Chiefs have the deepest set of receivers, perhaps, ever. Yes, there is potential, and potential does not count, but Conley, and Wilson are more than prospects. Conley and Wilson worked with Maclin, and I have been impressed. The Chiefs have to consider how many to6  keep, because they go 7 deep at WR, 4 deep at TE, and 6 deep at RB. They can't keep them all. Someone has to go, especially if they keep 3 or 4 quarterbacks on their squad. The math just does not work. However, what we do know is the Chiefs have one of the deepest teams in the NFL, and the most complete squad they have had in quite a long time.

I also agree that we have one of the most talented rosters we've had since the mid 90's. I think the window is WIDE open...right now. Dorsey and Reid's message this year has to be Superbowl, period. No excuses.....especially if Houston comes back 100%.

Why do people hate on Wilson? All he has done is get better. He fits our system perfecting. It's all about dinking and dunking it and he's a master of the short crossing routes we love to run. Guys like Streater and Conley are role players in our offense. Nine times out of ten the #2 WR is the 4th look in this offense. Wilson fits what they want perfectly. Alex throws the ball low or backside 80% of the time. Those the catches Wilson excels at. I'm not sure what people want in a #2 WR in this offense? Remember, he had 5 catches for 57 yards and a TD when Maclin hardly played in the New England Playoff game. He has proven himself. I think you guys need to get used to Wilson because he ain't going anywhere. He might move into the slot in three WR sets but, he is the clear cut #2 and for good reason.

Because he has has more opportunity than anyone at #2 WR and we are still looking. And he is 5'9". That is just one inch taller that DAT. Most consider Hill a little guy like DAT, but Wilso is shorter. He will never be a successful #2.

Archived