Chiefs Restructured Streater's Contract

The Chiefs restructured Streater's contract. They are now $4 million under the cap. I don't think that $4 million is to spend so don't get your hopes up that we'll sign a free agent. I think it's Dorsey's emergency money. He has kept $3-5 million every year to replace injured players. It's smart business. However, I do think it means they like Streater and he'll be around for a while....

Also, the good news is we won't have to cut a or trade a player like Charles for example to have a little wiggle room. I think Dorsey originally planned to create this year's emergency money when he re-signed Berry. I also think he was waiting to make sure they wanted to keep Charles and be sure he can still go.  I think he did a good job on this one... This Streater move will be underrated.

The Chiefs restructured Streater's contract. They are now $4 million under the cap. I don't think that $4 million is to spend so don't get your hopes up that we'll sign a free agent. I think it's Dorsey's emergency money. He has kept $3-5 million every year to replace injured players. It's smart business. However, I do think it means they like Streater and he'll be around for a while....

Also, the good news is we won't have to cut a or trade a player like Charles for example to have a little wiggle room. I think Dorsey originally planned to create this year's emergency money when he re-signed Berry. I also think he was waiting to make sure they wanted to keep Charles and be sure he can still go.  I think he did a good job on this one... This Streater move will be underrated.

isn't signing someone to replace a injured player technically signing a free agent? but I agree it is smart business  and ya never know who might get cut on the last day.. I call it "just in case $$"

The Chiefs were $800,000 over the cap. It was my understanding the Chiefs were $3M under the cap this morning. I did not hear they were $4M under the cap, but maybe that is true. I need to check. I napped since I wrote what I wrote on Twitter. I predicted the magical CAP room came from converting Streater's contract to a guaranteed contract over 2 years.

If what Mugsy wrote is correct, then I was lucky to guess it right. I have some tweets to recognize, so I will get back and confirm or deny in a few.

Chiefs extra $4 million of cap space likely comes from Rod Streater

By Joel Thorman

@JoelThorman on Aug 17, 2016, 1:13p 51

Tweet Share (6)

The Kansas City Chiefs gained about $4 million in cap space this week, according to NFLPA records. I had no idea why at first until someone suggested it had something to do with Rod Streater’s contract, which reportedly included likely to be earned incentives.

The KC Star’s Terez Paylor reports that Streater’s cap number has been lowered so there you go.

The renegotiation created cap room because Streater’s incentives — which were for things like receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions and total $4 million — were restructured to go from being likely-to-be-earned (and thus, counting against the cap) to not-like-to-be-earned (and thus, not counting against the cap).

So how do these incentives work? Streater had one catch for eight yards last season. If his incentive this year was for anything fewer than eight yards, it would be likely to be earned. (I really doubt they put in an incentive for seven yards this season) However, if the incentive this year is more than what he gained last year, it would be not likely to be earned. The difference is whether you take the cap hit now or next year if he earns it.

Anyway, long story short, the Chiefs have enough cap space right now. $3,067,210 to be exact.

I left in Joel's Twitter address, but covered up the other, because it is not released to the public. Technically, what TP told Joel does not make sense. Why would Streater give up that much money for nothing? Perhaps he was told they told Streater's agent to take a haircut or he will be cut, but I do not believe this. Streater was guaranteed money from Oakland, and gave it up for the contract with the Chiefs after he was released. Streater would have received $700,000 from the Raiders, sitting at home, if not for signing with the Chiefs.
Also, it is clear Streater is healthy, and can get a contract elsewhere if the Chiefs pressured him.

I don't have access to the cap numbers or his contract yet. Most of Streater's contract was guaranteed only after he made the team. The incentives worked in his second season only. So, it seems to me the "incentives" TP spoke of was in regards to his second season. If so, the Chiefs guaranteed the full contract, and spread the money out. Doing that, allowed them to save money on the cap this year. However, it also took away the option of cutting him if he were hurt or did not work out. This is often done, but creates potential dead money if the player fails.

Dorsey rewrote Streater's contract to pay him a little more than what he would have made if he sat on the couch this year. His second year is gone. This is a rent to use contract, where Streater is only paid the minimum. Why would Streater agree to this? Maybe he wants to go on the free agent market next year.

The Chiefs are getting Streater for next to nothing.

Dorsey rewrote Streater's contract to pay him a little more than what he would have made if he sat on the couch this year. His second year is gone. This is a rent to use contract, where Streater is only paid the minimum. Why would Streater agree to this? Maybe he wants to go on the free agent market next year.

That is promising. On the one hand, it means that the Chiefs just lost a year of control, and it's almost a sure thing that Streater will play elsewhere in 2017. On the other hand, Streater just showed everyone that he believes he's going to do big things with the Chiefs' offense in 2016.

That's a heck of a gamble, though. If he gets hurt, he's going to have a hard time making it to his first meaningful free agent contract before his career arc and age caps his value to teams.

FYI: His contract wasn't redone.

His incentives were essentially reclassified. They were once likely to be earned incentives and now are considered not likely to be earned.

Cap space is ate in advance if the incentive is deemed a possibility. If they don't hit that incentive, the team gets a credit towards the cap for it the next year. If the player has unlikely to earn incentives, and actually makes them, than they are charged that figure in the next year.

Hard to say if it's a good or bad thing for the Chiefs. It comes down to just has achievable those incentives actually are.

For now, they have breathing room without doing anything draatic. If they burn it all up, and he hits them...well the Chiefs are really fucked next year.

I think they like what they see. I know I do. He is more talented than Wilson or Conely. Conely has the size, but is not quick at all. Wilson is quick, but shorter that Hill.

Streeter should be the second most productive WR unless Hill works his way onto the field. Wilson and Conley are just not starting WRs.

His incentives were essentially reclassified. They were once likely to be earned incentives and now are considered not likely to be earned.

Cap space is ate in advance if the incentive is deemed a possibility. If they don't hit that incentive, the team gets a credit towards the cap for it the next year. If the player has unlikely to earn incentives, and actually makes them, than they are charged that figure in the next year.

Hard to say if it's a good or bad thing for the Chiefs. It comes down to just has achievable those incentives actually are.

For now, they have breathing room without doing anything draatic. If they burn it all up, and he hits them...well the Chiefs are really fucked next year.

Where is his second year? It is not there. Streater is not guaranteed a spot. This makes him more likely to make the team than $4 M additional against the cap. Dorsey won this one. Streater could have sat home, and made as much $. Streater is here only to get another shot at the big money.

Dorsey didn't do anything.

The only thing that happened was his incentives went from being considered as likely to be earned to not likely to be earned.

Someone made a mistake when this thing was filed with the league and NFLPA. For a guy that had like 1 catch for 8 yards a year ago, any incentive isn't really classified as LTBE.

His actual contract is still the same and it really depends on the actual incentives and his playing time.

isn't signing someone to replace a injured player technically signing a free agent? but I agree it is smart business  and ya never know who might get cut on the last day.. I call it "just in case $$"

Well said... Lol

The Chiefs were $800,000 over the cap. It was my understanding the Chiefs were $3M under the cap this morning. I did not hear they were $4M under the cap, but maybe that is true. I need to check. I napped since I wrote what I wrote on Twitter. I predicted the magical CAP room came from converting Streater's contract to a guaranteed contract over 2 years.

If what Mugsy wrote is correct, then I was lucky to guess it right. I have some tweets to recognize, so I will get back and confirm or deny in a few.

I got $4 million from the Kansas City Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article96180652.html

The contract was restructured. However, I may have been incorrect in saying they must really like streater. He will be a role player and never have a shot at making those incentives imo.

The Chiefs got to convert the incentives from achievable, to not achievable, which reduced their cap by $4 M, from negative $800,000 to $3.2 M in cap space. What did Streater get in exchange? He got the second year removed. The Chiefs have three options. Streater may be traded away this year. He can be released, and receive a better option before the season starts. Finally, the Chiefs may fully utilize Streater this year, and he will become a FA next.

The Chiefs are stacked at WR. They have lots of young talent. They cannot give up all of their future for a slightly better WR, who has a history of injuries.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/3/14/11219666/details-on-rod-streaters-one-year-contract-with-the-kansas-city-chiefs

There ever being a 2nd year on his deal is news to me. Think it was always a one year deal.

The only thing that changed is how the contract is interpreted. This has nothing to do with them really liking him or not.

This has nothing to do with them really liking him or not.

Really? Then why would he agree to restructure to a worse contract? He will never meet the requirements for those new incentives. I am thinking they gave him a choice: restructure or beat it. It is a very rare thing to have a contract restructured before a guy hasn't even taken a snap.

Really? Then why would he agree to restructure to a worse contract? He will never meet the requirements for those new incentives. I am thinking they gave him a choice: restructure or beat it. It is a very rare thing to have a contract restructured before a guy hasn't even taken a snap.

This is it, and if he did not accept, he may have been released. This is the only acceptable reason.

Uh, because there was no restructure. 

You guys are taking a badly formed Paylor story and running to the moon with it.

I don't ever recall a 2nd year in Streater's contract. I'm not sure where you are getting this from, do you have a link?

Archived