Chris Jones

I think he gets limited snaps this year with our stud line and the fact that most rookie D linemen take a year or two to get the strength they need.

Let's say Dee Ford continues to be Dee Ford. Dady is too weak to contain on run plays. Moses can't get a rush against starters.

Do we consider putting Jones at the LOLB spot? E would be a stud at containing the run and could probably get double digit sacks from there. True, he can't drop into coverage very well, but neither can the other guys accept Ford. (The best play Ford made as a Chief was in man coverage)

It is not a perfect solution to losing Houston, but someone has got to give Hali some rest and someone has got to completely man Houston's side. Would it be the craziest idea to make Jones an outside pass rusher for one year?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Jones hadn't played at OLB. His 40 time was 5.03, although he did it with a third leg. His 3 cone was 7.44, and 20 short shuttle was only 4.62. Tamba Hali was regarded a bit slow, but was faster. 40 time 4.75, and 7.28 for the 3 cone. Tamba had a 4.31 short shuttle.

Obviously Justin Houston is much quicker than Hali, so Chris would not fare nearly as well in that role.

I think David King is a much better candidate to try out at OLB than Jones. He didn't fully work out at his pro day due to a pulled hammy, but ran a 4.70 40 with a 1.64 10 yard split, which is similar to what Houston ran at the Combine. King has shown good initial burst off the snap and penetration. He's still listed at 6'4" 281, only 6 pounds heavier than his pro day weight.

King doesn't look like he'll fit into the D-line rotation since it is so deep, but he could be an asset as a pass rusher coming off the edge. 

I think David King is a much better candidate to try out at OLB than Jones. He didn't fully work out at his pro day due to a pulled hammy, but ran a 4.70 40 with a 1.64 10 yard split, which is similar to what Houston ran at the Combine. King has shown good initial burst off the snap and penetration. He's still listed at 6'4" 281, only 6 pounds heavier than his pro day weight.

King doesn't look like he'll fit into the D-line rotation since it is so deep, but he could be an asset as a pass rusher coming off the edge. 

The 1.64  10 yard split surprises me. I would consider moving King there, before Jones.

As, I put it before, the Chiefs run more 4-3, and hybrid formations than they run a straight forward 3-4 formation. I think this will happen more than it did, and the Chiefs have the front line to do it.

Poe was not able to anchor on a number of running pays, and was pushed back. I don't know how that happens, when you consider how big he is, and strong. He has moments where he either does not get low enough or does not get off the snap soon enough. Dee Ford is obviously a risk against the run. He does not provide enough energy to get to the end, and seal against a run around the end. Sorensen was good in practice, and has made several notable hits, but was out of position a number of occasions last week, and that translated into rushing yards against the Chiefs.

The addition of Eric Berry will help. Houston will not be available until midseason, at the earliest. The Chiefs must find a way to stop the run before he returns (if he returns) or teams will run right at them.

Jones will get plenty of snaps.....They have to decide if they are going to re-sign Poe.

Plus the big guys on the D-Line are always tired in the 4th Qtr, always dinged up and always being asked to do more since Houston is out.

w

You have to wonder how much Poe's back has hindered him. Even if he is without pain, lower back injuries can result in less power. Poe got pushed back against Seattle. Is he worth $100 M? I don't think so. Bailey, and Howard are signed for multiple years. Howard appears to be the best player on the defensive line this year. Nunez-Roches is not nearly to Poe's level, but neither is Poe. Nick Williams has plenty of heft.

There is always concern with big guys and back problems. I agree that Howard was easily the most dominate lineman last year. If he can repeat, he will be playing for a $100 mill contract in 2 years.

He'll be, what, 29 when he hits free agency again? I doubt he gets a big contract like that. While he's a hell of a player he's not playing in a system that lends itself to ends putting up the kind of stats that it takes to get a contract like that. Unless you're JJ.

Fair point. I would love to get him for a reasonable price. If we resign him, it will be because he replaced Poe at NT next year. I hope Poe us fine and plays like a beast, but I have seen a drop off since the surgery. Fingers crossed he is OK.

I think Howard will be playing NT in two years for us or someone else.

Fair point. I would love to get him for a reasonable price. If we resign him, it will be because he replaced Poe at NT next year. I hope Poe us fine and plays like a beast, but I have seen a drop off since the surgery. Fingers crossed he is OK.

I think Howard will be playing NT in two years for us or someone else.

That may be. He is a very good lineman. I would love to see us extend him if he shows well again this year.

It will be hard to keep Chris Jones out of the starting lineup after this year so somethings got to give. Could be poe.

You have to wonder how much Poe's back has hindered him. Even if he is without pain, lower back injuries can result in less power. Poe got pushed back against Seattle. Is he worth $100 M? I don't think so. Bailey, and Howard are signed for multiple years. Howard appears to be the best player on the defensive line this year. Nunez-Roches is not nearly to Poe's level, but neither is Poe. Nick Williams has plenty of heft.

He played fine towards the end of last season.  It's not a concern.

There is always concern with big guys and back problems. I agree that Howard was easily the most dominate lineman last year. If he can repeat, he will be playing for a $100 mill contract in 2 years.

100 million in 2 years? 50 million per year? Just kidding, I know what you are saying.

i just don't see all the concern about Poe. As long as his disc is fine, there should be no problem. He is still requiring double teams. That's the whole deal right there.

I don't have a lot of concern about Poe, except for he is going to get a monster contract that I don't think kc will match.

The Chiefs will absolutely keep him, at whatever cost it takes.

Maybe. My problem is I have a hard time figuring his value. He's obviously more valuable than the normal run plugging 34 nose, but those guys don't get paid a lot (relatively). I don't think he has a lot of comparisons for what he does, which I bet his agent thinks the same thing.

So that leads us into dangerous territory. Who will his agent use for comps? There's a massive pay difference between 34 DTs and 43 DTs.

I think he gets limited snaps this year with our stud line and the fact that most rookie D linemen take a year or two to get the strength they need.

Let's say Dee Ford continues to be Dee Ford. Dady is too weak to contain on run plays. Moses can't get a rush against starters.

Do we consider putting Jones at the LOLB spot? E would be a stud at containing the run and could probably get double digit sacks from there. True, he can't drop into coverage very well, but neither can the other guys accept Ford. (The best play Ford made as a Chief was in man coverage)

It is not a perfect solution to losing Houston, but someone has got to give Hali some rest and someone has got to completely man Houston's side. Would it be the craziest idea to make Jones an outside pass rusher for one year?

Jones is not even close to looking like a LB. It wouldn't be crazy to put him there. It would be stupid. Nicholas looked good in run defense last night.

The Chiefs will absolutely keep him, at whatever cost it takes.

I doubt that. That's not the way Dorsey and the crew did it in Green Bay. He will find another DT before he breaks the bank imo. He is pretty "position specific" when it comes to spending that kind of money.

Is B.J Raji no longer playing for Green Bay.

Correct. They just signed him to one year contracts in 2014 ($4 mil) and 2015 ($1.75 mil). Now he's gone. They signed the other guy Guion to a 3 year $11 million deal. He was their Howard. He will find a NT somewhere else imo.

Archived