Cuts from the Chiefs

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bridgewater hurt bad. Maybe we can trade Murray to Minnesota?

On the radio show here in San Francisco, one of the hosts suggested that maybe the Vikings would trade for Colin Kaepernick. The other host reminded him that the Vikings currently employ Alex Boone, who disliked playing with Kaepernick. A Kaepernick trade won't work.

It would be nice to get something for Murray.

Vikes will roll with Shaun Hill and trade for a backup. Kaepernick won't be going to Minnesota, I guarantee it.

Also, apparently the update on Bridgewater is a completely torn ACL.

I might be wrong, obviously not for this year, but you would rather have a completely torn one because it will heal better than a partially torn one? Or am I getting the injuries mixed up?

I might be wrong, obviously not for this year, but you would rather have a completely torn one because it will heal better than a partially torn one? Or am I getting the injuries mixed up?

I've never heard that a complete tear is better. I'm no doctor, but it seems that a partial tear means that you had enough of the ligament left to protect the rest of the knee from major structural damage.

I thought I heard that certain partial tears can be recovered from in a few months rather than over the course of a year.

What's the resident doctor have to say?

It doesn't really make a difference.  Once it's torn to an extent, you need to have it repaired for a full recovery.

They won't trade for Kaepernick for two reasons.  One, they only need a one year rental and they don't want his contract.  Two, they know SF is going to release him.

Kaepernick is probably headed for Denver when the Simien experience fails.

Vikes will roll with Shaun Hill and trade for a backup. Kaepernick won't be going to Minnesota, I guarantee it.

Also, apparently the update on Bridgewater is a completely torn ACL.

Yeah, they got the new stadium and the fans are paying attention. No way they sign Kap. 

Here's my take on the final 53, although I'm sure the Chiefs won't necessarily agree with me...

QB1 Alex Smith
QB2 Nick Foles
RB1 Jamaal Charles
RB2 Spencer Ware
RB3 Charcandrick West
RB4 Darrin Reaves
FB1 Anthony Sherman
WR1 Jeremy Maclin
WR2 Chris Conley
WR3 Rod Streater
WR4 De'Anthony Thomas
WR5 Tyreek Hill
WR6 Demarcus Robinson
TE1 Travis Kelce
TE2 Demetrius Harris
TE3 Ross Travis
OT1 Eric Fisher
OT2 Mitchell Schwartz
OT3 Jah Reid
OG1 Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
OG2 Parker Ehinger
OG3 Jarrod Pughsley
OC1 Mitch Morse
OC2 Zach Fulton
DE1 Jaye Howard
DE2 Allen Bailey
DE3 Chris Jones
DE4 Nick Williams
NT1 Dontari Poe
NT2 Rakeem Nunez-Roches
OLB1 Justin Houston (PUP)
OLB2 Tamba Hali
OLB3 Dee Ford
OLB4 Frank Zombo
OLB5 Dezman Moses
OLB6 Dadi Nicolas
OLB7 Andy Mulumba
ILB1 Derrick Johnson
ILB2 Justin March
ILB3 Ramik Wilson
ILB4 Terrance Smith
CB1 Marcus Peters
CB2 Phillip Gaines
CB3 Steven Nelson
CB4 Kenneth Acker
CB5 D.J. White
CB6 KeiVarae Russell
S1 Eric Berry
S2 Ron Parker
S3 Eric Murray
S4 Daniel Sorensen
K Cairo Santos
P Dustin Colquitt
LS James Winchester

Some notes:

I don't think they will cut Albert Wilson, but I think they should. Streater, DAT, Hill, and even Hammond, have all shown me more this preseason than Wilson. Robinson is a guy I can see starting to come along, and he good be a weapon on slants if a QB with any accuracy was throwing him the ball.

If the Chiefs cut Darrin Reaves, someone is picking that kid up. I'd rather he stuck around over a 3rd string shit QB.

I've seen more from Terrance Smith at LB and on special teams so far than I've ever seen from D.J. Alexander. I'd keep Smith over Alexander.

I highly doubt they'll cut Albert Wilson, but I don't think he deserves a spot, of which I'm giving to Darrin Reaves

Final 53 (What I think the Chiefs will do)

QB: Smith, Foles
RB: Charles, Ware, West, Davis
FB: Sherman 
WR: Maclin, Wilson, Conley, Streater, Hill, Hammond
TE: Kelce, Harris, Parker, Travis
OL: Fisher, Ehinger, Morse, Duvernay-Tardif, Schwartz, Fulton, Reid

DL: Poe, Bailey, Howard, Jones, Williams
OLB: Hali, Ford, Zombo, Moses, Nicolas 
ILB: Johnson, March, Wilson, Alexander
CB: Peters, Gaines, Cooper, White, Acker, Nelson, Russell
S: Berry, Parker, Sorenson, Johnson, Murray

K: Santos
P: Colquitt
LS: Winchester

Practice Squad:

1. Demarcus Robinson WR
2. Jarrod Pugsley OL
3. Garrick Mayweather OL
4. Darrin Reaves RB
5. James O'Shaughnessy TE
6. Kevin Hogan QB
7. David King DL
8. Shaq Randolph DB
9. Andy Mulumba LB
10. Rakeem Nunez-Roches DL

Houston (PUP)

I think we sign one or two guys not listed who will go straight to 53. 

Let me get this straight. Knile Davis and DAT make the team? I guess I understand because they are capable of making a big play at any time. And I guess that means Robinson is sticking as well with Streater going. Hope the puck was at least a 5th rounder for Streater. Ugh. Confused.

The Chiefs have 54 on their roster. That means one more will be cut when Jamaal Charles returns. Another will be released when and if Justin Houston is able to be back.

The Chiefs are 28th among 32 teams for the waiver wire. So, don't expect them to claim anyone. DAT, and Knile Davis may be trade bait in the future. The Chiefs kept 8 OL. I anticipate they will try to make a deal to improve that position. Other concerns are at OLB, and ILB (opposite DJ). The Chiefs may be interested in trading for an experienced CB. The Chiefs had been interested in Milliner. He was cut, but is also an IR. That means, the Jets will have the right to resign him after he goes off IR. Instead of seeing that as a bad thing, we should view it as a blessing. If Milliner were released, he would be placed on waivers, and the Chiefs would have zero chance of signing him. Instead, now the Jets will likely seek a deal to trade him. I imagine this is in the works. Whether he comes to KC or not depends upon what other team is willing to give up. 

The Chiefs let Streater go. I am not surprised. SF may have been interested in him, and the Chiefs may have had this in the offing when they increased the difficulty of his incentives, so they would not count against the cap. Clearly, he was a better value to SF with such a low CAP number. Robinson showed he could benefit the team on special teams. Conley showed he was as good or better. So, the playing time for Streater may not have been as much as some theorized. I saw the writing on the wall when he was not utilized in the third practice game, and played late into the fourth. Obviously, the Chiefs were auditioning him for another team. Perhaps this was to prove he was healthy.

The Chiefs have three or four moves left to make. They have to find a pass rusher at OLB, who can seal the edge. That is not likely to happen. They need to find an ILB to play along side of DJ. I am sure they will use Wilson, and March, but neither pack the punch. Wilson only weighs 237 lbs. and March is a lightweight at 222 lbs. You like to see that spot filled with a guy with a little more heft, somewhere around 245 to 255 lbs. Smaller guys are going to wear down, and DJ is not there to take on blockers as much as he is there to make plays.

The Chiefs also need a cornerback, with a experience. When they traded Cooper, they traded away the most experienced player among the corners.

Archived