Cuts from the Chiefs

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramik Wilson was cut to make way for Sam Barrington. Barrington was a 7th round pick in 2013. He is bigger than Wilson, at 240 lbs vs 230 for Wilson. As a rookie, Barrington only played in 7 games, mostly on special teams. The following season, he played in 14 games, starting 7, and was credited with 53 total tackles with one sack. He was the starter opening day, but sustained a season ending injury. He was the Walter Payton Man of the Year candidate for the Packers in 2015.

I heard a lot of microwavers complain about the release of Ramik Wilson. To be truthful, I didn't see a whole lot from Wilson. I felt he tried hard, but was a little too small, and was too stiff to play in the NFL. March is the leading candidate to play opposite DJ. Barrington will back up March. March is small, but a gamer. I believe he is actually a better fit in the role played by DJ, but Johnson is not ready to relinquish that role.

I think Wilson was miscast, and would be a better fit as a 4-3 SAM, but he needs to toughen up. He is very inconsistent, despite his reputation is not one to take on blockers. I see Ramik Wilson gained 7 pounds for this season, but I did not see the physicality you need out of the position he played. March weighs just 222 pounds, and hits a lot harder.

Daniel Munyer was waived, but the Chiefs brought him back the next day to the active 53 man roster. They waived OT, Jordan Devey, and signed OT Bryan Witzmann  (released by Dallas). Currently there are 55 players listed on the 53 man roster. I believe one of those is due to the injured Jamaal Charles, who is slow to recover from a knee injury. However, that still is one over the limit. There are 9 players on the practice squad. Justin Houston is on the PUP list, and Mauga is on the IR for the year.

Neither Aaron Murray, nor Kevin Hogan. Murray went to Arizona, and Hogan departed for Cleveland. They will not be missed. Neither, in my mind, have a chance to do more than waste space on a roster. It irritated me to see the Chiefs waste a pick on Hogan, and I think that has been shown to be correct at this stage. He is just not good enough. I was not a fan of Murray either. Murray was added to the Cardinals...practice squad, so he wasn't deemed a NFL ready QB by any other team in the NFL. He hangs on as a participant on a practice team for now.

So, who is our PS QB? Have we signed anyone? Murray and Hogan were signed elsewhere and Bray can't be on the PS (I assume because this is his third year - or maybe he can since he was on IR the other years and not the PS).

The Chiefs don't waste a spot on their PS for a QB. If he is not worth keeping on the 53, then he does not belong on a PS. The PS actually helps the team prepare for an upcoming opponent. Andy likes to keep 2 active, and 1 inactive QB on the roster. The NFL allows a team to activate a player on the 53, should the 2nd QB get injured. So, there is no purpose in keeping one on the PS. You really only need 2 or 3 QB, at the most, to prepare for a game.

Our friend Josh Forrest made the cut, and will play ILB for the Rams. They cut Akeem Ayers. Ayers is an OLB, and is still available. He has a decent first step, and good body lean. He could help the Chiefs out while they wait for Houston to return. He didn't light the world on fire for the Titans. They traded Ayers plus a 7th round pick to the NE Patriots for a 6th round selection. Ayers was a second round pick for Tennessee. He was dropped after the season, and Los Angeles signed him for a two year contract in 2015.

2012 was Akeem Ayers' best season. He had 106 combined tackles, and 6 sacks. I have no idea what transpired after that season. If it was an injury or something else, but he never was quite the same after his second season. The Chiefs may give him a shot, and he may produce for them. It would be a risk.

I have not even heard this guys name mentioned on this board, but Rookie CB Vernon Harris made the 53 man roster.

I saw that.

Pughsley was added to the squad as well as Darrin Reaves.

Seantavius Jones is new to the Chiefs. He ran 4.36 at his pro day, and is 6'3 1/2". He was an undrafted free agent signed by New Orleans in 2014. He was added to their 53 man roster in December, but placed back on their practice squad the following season. Jones was released by the Saints, and picked up by the Eagles. He failed to make it to their preseason.

Seantavius Jones is an interesting player. He is more of a possession receiver, but is too lean for his height. He could be a good slot back, if he can get stronger.

Tyrell Adams is another interesting guy. He almost made the team. He just needs a little more seasoning, and could be good enough to be brought up to the regular team later in this season.

Frankie Hammond had a very good preseason. He stuck in KC, being added to the practice team. If the Chiefs suffer an injury, Hammond can provide help. He is very good on special teams, and outplayed Streater down the stretch in preseason.

David King was well thought at camp. He just wasn't quite big enough, and there was too much talent ahead of him. He is very fast for his size. He is a bit of a tweener. He's not quite big enough to play on the line, and not fast enough to play OLB.  If the Chiefs can get him to add another 10 lbs of muscle, he could be good enough.

Shak Randolph has size, and speed. He is a bit thin, but he really played well for an undrafted free agent. First, the Chiefs need to decide what is he. He played DB, S, and LB at SMU. He weighs 213, but is nearly 6'4" tall. Still, Randolph ran a 4.59 40. So, it is not unthinkable for him to play S. There is a lot of players back there right now. He is not built strong enough to play LB.

Hogan is on Cleveland's PS.

I can't imagine he was offered a spot on our PS. Hogan did not look impressive to me at all. He barely got a shot. Cleveland has to be the last spot for desperate quarterbacks. Their OL is horrible. They aren't very good at developing quarterbacks. He has a chance to play, only because the attrition rate is likely to be high.

The Browns start RG3, Cody Kessler, and Josh McCown (who I believe turned 73 last week - Happy Birthday).

The Chiefs must have decided some time around the draft to add one more QB in the draft and to let ota's, training camp and the preseason determine who the back up QB would be from those three. Bray, Murray or Hogan. But when Nick Foles asked for his release from the Rams and said he would only consider Andy Reid's Chiefs to restart his career it became a 3 way roster battle for third string and Hogan was given the short end of practice time. Nick Foles signing killed Hogans chance to really make the team. That's how I see how that all played out.

Jets claimed Parker.

KC claimed LB Barrington from GB, and OT Witzmann from Dallas.

Damn, I was afraid he wouldn't clear waivers...

Chiefs waived LB Ramik Wilson.

He wasn't good at UGA. I hated this draft pick.

Hogan is on Cleveland's PS.

No surprise here. We haven't kept a QB on the PS since Reid and Dorsey have been here.

I think we are still trying to trade DAT. That's why we are keeping Hammond around.

DAT came out and fought to be on this team. He lost his way last year. I followed him on Twitter, and everything he wrote was about promoting his merchandise, shirts and other things bearing his logo. He thought he was going to be the next FUBU. What didn't click for him was his logo meant nothing as long as he did nothing on the field. Who would have purchased Air Jordan if he wasn't who he was on the field. If he sucked, Air Jordans would be on clearance, and he would not be worth as much as he is worth today.

DAT got that message. He dropped hawking his crap, for the time being, and he got to business.

DAT came out and fought to be on this team. He lost his way last year. I followed him on Twitter, and everything he wrote was about promoting his merchandise, shirts and other things bearing his logo. He thought he was going to be the next FUBU. What didn't click for him was his logo meant nothing as long as he did nothing on the field. Who would have purchased Air Jordan if he wasn't who he was on the field. If he sucked, Air Jordans would be on clearance, and he would not be worth as much as he is worth today.

DAT got that message. He dropped hawking his crap, for the time being, and he got to business.

Well, one thing it indicates is that he is interested in self promotion more than playing the game.  If the only reason he is working hard now is to become good enough to promote himself, then he will get good, then quickly go downhill to cash in on it, right?

Well, one thing it indicates is that he is interested in self promotion more than playing the game.  If the only reason he is working hard now is to become good enough to promote himself, then he will get good, then quickly go downhill to cash in on it, right?

Could be, but right now he is only good enough to make the team. He is a long ways from getting to Jordan level. He just isn't all that smart. I think he needed a little bringing down to figure out what was important. I hope he got it. For now, we see that he is giving it his all. Playing in the NFL makes everything nice. If you can stay healthy, you can make more in two short years than an average man makes in a lifetime. A person, who saves, and is cautious with his money, can work hard for five or six years, and be on easy street.

DAT has some small kids with mouths to feed. We all are prone to lose our way. I hope he gets it. This is not a joke. It takes a lot of sweat to get that money now, but working at Mickey Dee's doesn't pay the same. You had better get to the basics, and stay there.

Could be, but right now he is only good enough to make the team. He is a long ways from getting to Jordan level. He just isn't all that smart. I think he needed a little bringing down to figure out what was important. I hope he got it. For now, we see that he is giving it his all. Playing in the NFL makes everything nice. If you can stay healthy, you can make more in two short years than an average man makes in a lifetime. A person, who saves, and is cautious with his money, can work hard for five or six years, and be on easy street.

DAT has some small kids with mouths to feed. We all are prone to lose our way. I hope he gets it. This is not a joke. It takes a lot of sweat to get that money now, but working at Mickey Dee's doesn't pay the same. You had better get to the basics, and stay there.

Yeah.  Sometimes kids just grow up.  Odd, but true.

Dorsey said that DAT earned his roster spot. If Hill slips up or underwhelms on Punt return duties DAT is waiting to take it back from "the rookie". I'm starting to be won back over. I thought for sure he was gone.

yea watcing him with Bray throwing to him sold me. Hill couldn't catch a cold and DAT earned the spot I thought Hammond showed up as well .. I personally would of not been mad if Hill got tossed away he has not showed me much enough for the gamble draft pick and PR wise.

Yeah.  Sometimes kids just grow up.  Odd, but true.

De'Anthony Thomas was 22 when he "quit on" football. I made a lot of mistakes before, and after that.

Age 22 is a big year for most people. Around that time, people become what they will be for the rest of their life. Women mature a little sooner, and some guys never do. However, around that mark people tend to fix their attitudes, and settle in to who they are.

Often people are vastly different at 21 than they are when the grow up. I have seen the worst punks, who I swore would had never been worth their salt, and yet they became solid citizens. I also have seen people who were regular folks, and they reached a certain age, then went nuts.

One reason marriages fail at an early age is the boy and girl make a change when they reach 22 or 23 years of age. It is common for a 17 year old bride, to leave when she reaches adulthood (22 to 25 years of age). They have a 'oh crap' experience, and their life changes.

I can see that in the life of Tyler Bray. He was a brat. He did some stupid things. Now, most of those were fairly harmless. He threw beer bottles. He made a fool of himself, and so on. A lot of us did the same, when we were young. I did. He grew up, and got married. I haven't heard a police report on him in the three years he has been with the Chiefs. I see a lot of tweets of him, and his wife. He is a private person, and kind of shy. That changed.

Black Mamba turned 21 a few months before the Chiefs drafted him. Tyler Bray turned 21 in December, before the Chiefs drafted him.

There is a correlation.

Archived