#2 Cornerback

The battle for the #2 cornerback job has been interesting. 

They keep saying they are "easing Gaines back from injury" but, what does that really mean? It doesn't seem like he is even practicing much and he hasn't played in the preseason.

Nelson started against Seattle and looked out of his league. He didn't look ready when they moved him inside either. His play against Los Angeles was an equal performance. 

Cooper played well against Seattle. He played outside in the nickel package. He looked pretty good this week too. He played too far off once but that was it. However, maybe Sutton wanted him that far off? 

DJ White got the start this week and looked the best out of the three in my opinion. We didn't really hear his name called because he was doing his job. 

Russell hasn't looked at all and can't get off the third team. 

Murray looks terrible at safety. I know he's learning but, maybe we could use him at safety. 

Ron Parker is a much better corner than he is a safety. It's looking like he might be our best option at nickelback again this year.

Thoughts?

The Chiefs drafted a lot of corners, hoping one would be good enough. Apparently, one was too many to be found. I have serious questions about the health of Philip Gaines. In the least, the Chiefs are being extremely conservative with Gaines' recovery schedule. I would have thought he'd be good to go by now. I promoted Steve Nelson during the draft last year, but his promise has not come to fruition. DJ White is taking full advantage. Although his measured attributes are similar to Peters, he was a 6th round pick for some reason. DJ White is not nearly as technically prepared to play as was Peters. Peters has that special it factor. White is a decent player.

When you have more than one starter at a position, you probably don't really have one. This is the case for the Chiefs at RCB. If the Chiefs do not develop a pass rush, without exposing the outside to a run, they will have problems. I watched the Chiefs. I also watched the Broncos. I am not a Denver fan at all, but I have to be honest here. They are a lot further along than the Chiefs at this moment. KC is currently tied with Oakland as an also ran. They have a lot of work to get done. I hope it happens.

Parker is terrible at corner. He is a bad ass at safety.

No dude. You have it backwards. Our defense sucked ass after Gaines got hurt last year until they put Parker at CB in the nickel. Remember how bad it was with Branch or Cooper playing nickelback? Nelson didn't even see the field because he wasn't good enough. They finally started Parker at nickel instead of as the third safety after the Cincinnati game and the pass defense got a lot better. Parker is an ankle biter who barely makes tackles at safety. The words "bad ass" have never defined Ron Parker at any level. I like the guy a lot but come on man. Bad ass? Really? :lol: I would call him a solid corner and a solid safety. 

The Chiefs drafted a lot of corners, hoping one would be good enough. Apparently, one was too many to be found. I have serious questions about the health of Philip Gaines. In the least, the Chiefs are being extremely conservative with Gaines' recovery schedule. I would have thought he'd be good to go by now. I promoted Steve Nelson during the draft last year, but his promise has not come to fruition. DJ White is taking full advantage. Although his measured attributes are similar to Peters, he was a 6th round pick for some reason. DJ White is not nearly as technically prepared to play as was Peters. Peters has that special it factor. White is a decent player.

When you have more than one starter at a position, you probably don't really have one. This is the case for the Chiefs at RCB. If the Chiefs do not develop a pass rush, without exposing the outside to a run, they will have problems. I watched the Chiefs. I also watched the Broncos. I am not a Denver fan at all, but I have to be honest here. They are a lot further along than the Chiefs at this moment. KC is currently tied with Oakland as an also ran. They have a lot of work to get done. I hope it happens.

You are correct. I said lack of pass rush and second corner are an issue before the game. I was called Francis. But I'm right...

Parker is better at safety. He had the bone head PI, but he is a good FS. They need to keep him deep and let Berry/Sorr play the SS. 

Cooper has looked pretty good to me. At least he did with the ones against Seattle. He didn't play CB with the ones against the Rams. I saw DJ White and Nelson playing RCB with the ones. Neither stood out as good or bad. Keenum pretty much did what he wanted throwing the ball. I don't think that speaks too highly of them.

Gaines should be the starter. If he can't get healthy, we are probably looking at Cooper.

Archived