49ers trade CB Kenneth Acker to KC

My first thought goes to the health of Phillip Gaines.

Me too... Not good.

Maybe they should move Murray back to cb? That experiment isn't going well.

Also, Russell has to be the biggest disappointment. I had never heard of him when we picked him and he looks like a guy I've never heard of out there.

I don't think it says much about Gaines and says a lot about how much they think the depth sucks.

Their depth are rookies. It will be interesting to see who gets cut. Dorsey has not cut his draft picks in the past.

And Nelson, who hasn't shown thay he wants to take the NB role.

I thought Gaines looked fine and didn't seem to be bothered over injury.

pretty sad about nelson, i heard he looked good in camp early this year but then i guess anyone could look all world in shorts and a t-shirt. time to chalk that one up in the lost column and move on

The speculation with this signing is that Coopers time has come to an end in KC per Teicher. And Brock Vereen signing is the end of Fleming. There's going to be a lot of surprise cuts this year that much I can see. And obviously the final 53 won't even be safe once other teams start cutting their vets and younger prospects too.

pretty sad about nelson, i heard he looked good in camp early this year but then i guess anyone could look all world in shorts and a t-shirt. time to chalk that one up in the lost column and move on

He's still a young player and it takes time, but he was a baffling pick from the start so who knows.

Was taken too early and didn't really fit the profile of what they look for in DBs

I highly doubt they give up on Nelson this early. Year 2 hasn't even started.

The Chiefs are going to run a 4-3 or 4-2 hybrid defense, at least until Houston returns. They will carry fewer OLB , and more CB/S. Ford is a failure at this point. The Chiefs will work around this problem by reinventing their defense. They already run a lot of 4-3. The addition of Chris Jones was fortuitous, as it was brilliant. Howard, Poe, Bailey, Jones, and Hali can set the edge, and stop the run. Chris Jones is powerful, and has a huge wingspan. He controls the play in front of him, and can get to the QB through seams in protection. This allows the Chiefs to place more corners on the field. Ackers is just one component.

Ackers is athletic. I disagree about Cooper. I think he sticks. Peters, Nelson, Gaines, Cooper, Ackers, Russell, and White can all find spots on the team. I think Murray can help Berry, and Parker. Sorensen will battle Johnson, and Vereen just for a spot on the team. Last year, the Chiefs kept 10 defensive backs. Gaines is being nursed back, and the Chiefs state he is mended. Cooper has the size/speed/athleticism, but since being shaken his first year with the Chiefs, he has yet to do much. I think he has looked better this year.

It will be interesting. One area the Chiefs may approach is ILB. They have some good talent, but lack that real thumper in the middle. It appears Mauga is not healthy. If so, they need another man in his place.

The Chiefs are going to run a 4-3 or 4-2 hybrid defense, at least until Houston returns. They will carry fewer OLB , and more CB/S. Ford is a failure at this point. The Chiefs will work around this problem by reinventing their defense. They already run a lot of 4-3. The addition of Chris Jones was fortuitous, as it was brilliant. Howard, Poe, Bailey, Jones, and Hali can set the edge, and stop the run. Chris Jones is powerful, and has a huge wingspan. He controls the play in front of him, and can get to the QB through seams in protection. This allows the Chiefs to place more corners on the field. Ackers is just one component.

Ackers is athletic. I disagree about Cooper. I think he sticks. Peters, Nelson, Gaines, Cooper, Ackers, Russell, and White can all find spots on the team. I think Murray can help Berry, and Parker. Sorensen will battle Johnson, and Vereen just for a spot on the team. Last year, the Chiefs kept 10 defensive backs. Gaines is being nursed back, and the Chiefs state he is mended. Cooper has the size/speed/athleticism, but since being shaken his first year with the Chiefs, he has yet to do much. I think he has looked better this year.

It will be interesting. One area the Chiefs may approach is ILB. They have some good talent, but lack that real thumper in the middle. It appears Mauga is not healthy. If so, they need another man in his place.

Wait, starting Chris Jones while Houston is out?  Mugsy didn't like that idea. Going to a more 4-3/4-2 look until Houston gets back makes a lot of sense both from stopping the run and getting heat on the QB.  Poe-Howard-Bailey-Jones makes a pretty tough line to take on. Sure Jones can't drop back into coverage like Houston, but neither can anyone else and at least he seals the strong side up on the run.

It is not a perfect solution, but I don't see any other good options. We can try Zombo/Ford/Nichols/Moses, but somebody has to share snaps with Hali and none of these guys except Zombo would do well with contain on Houston's side IMO.

Also, I agree that Cooper stays.  He is among top the top 5 CBs on the roster. He is very good on ST. Can play a little safety. I don't see him going anywhere.

Archived